Sunday, December 13, 2015

Science in Fiction (#11): Starflight by Melissa Landers


Welcome to this month's Science in Fiction feature! Science in Fiction is a meme I created to showcase the wonderful aspects of science in Young Adult fiction novels. For more information and previous feature, check out the "Science in Fiction" tag!

This month, I'm featuring Starflight by Melissa Landers!



I LOVED Starflight. Landers' Alienated and Invaded were great, but this new book was even better. It's book one of a completely new series, set in big open Space. Solara is trying to get to the outer realm, where she is free to work as a mechanic. Doran is trying to get to a mysterious location Planet X to investigate something for his father. Their paths collide, and soon they find themselves running for their lives. 

This is one of my favorite books of the year! In my review, I mentioned that this book reminded me of Star Wars. So, naturally, being the Star Wars fan that I am, and given the timing, I am going to dedicate this month's Science in Fiction post to all things Star Wars!



First, the similarities:

- Solara and Doran are in a spaceship full of criminals (including themselves!): Han, Luke, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca were running for their lives too, remember? Han always owed someone money.

- There is a scary boss/gang leader who is super greedy: in this book, it's a pirate lord type who wants Solara to work for him. In Star Wars, it's Jabba the Hut.

- There is a princess and a man who will guard her with his life: no, Solara isn't the princess. But there is a hidden princess in Starflight, just like Leia is in Star Wars!

- There is a cocky male - several, actually: Doran is kind of like Han? Their both cocky and self-assured. But Han is more rugged and street-smart, whereas Doran is rich and spoiled. Kane is more of a Han.

- The crew becomes close friends, despite everything starting from a job: Doran and Solara needed passage - and fast. So the Banshee crew (Captain, Renny, Kane, Cassia) agree to take them, for a ridiculous amount of money. The Banshee is a lot like the Millennium Falcon, in which it's beat-up and well-used, but loyal and sturdy.

- The adventure is fun and kickbutt: you're in for a ride, either way. Star Wars has always been one of my favorite movie franchises, for so many reasons. Starflight has an adventure of its own!


I loved Starflight, and I LOVE Star Wars. The original trilogy is much better than the newer trilogy, but I love both. Check out the movies:



Love. Love love love love love. You all should see the weird Star-Wars-y things I asked for, for Christmas. Be sure to catch Episode VII in theaters on December 18th! It's the last day of finals for me, but I definitely plan on seeing this one over winter break! :)

14 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't watch Star Wars but those similarities make me curious. But truth be told, I'm kind of nervous to read another one of Melissa's books. I LOVED Alienated. I thought it was such a cute alien book. But I completely disliked the second book. I think I already have Starflight on my Goodreads but it has definitely been lowered :| It's very conflicting.

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I loved Alienated and Invaded (Alienated more so than Invaded), but Starflight takes the cake. Easily my favorite of the three. I hope you give it a shot, if you can, Karina!

      Delete
  2. I already thought it was a must read, but the comparison list bumps it way up the pile for me.

    We're going to see Star Wars, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUPER must read, Sophia! I hope you love Starflight - and Episode VII!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I'm so excited to eventually read it. It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love Starflight! Don't miss it. :)

      Delete
  4. You couldn't recommend Starflight any better to me than comparing it to SW!!

    I'm going to see The Force Awakens at midnight on the dot on the 17th though it's already the 18th, you know how those things go!!

    Best of luck on those finals girl, I'm sure you're totally kicking arse and taking names!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, you've been thoroughly convinced, Pili. :D I know this book will appeal to you. And I hope you looooove Episode VII! Tell me all about it when you watch it! ^_^

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Yaaay :D I'm so thrilled that you loved this book so much sweet girl. <3 Sigh. But now I want it badly. And I must wait. And it suuuucks. How mean :D This post is gorgeous Alyssa. <3 Thank you for sharing :) I have never seen Star Wars.. and not really that interested in it either :p but maybe one day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it, Carina! And I'm going to pretend like you didn't just say that YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN STAR WARS. O_O *nudges towards Star Wars*

      Delete
  6. Super cool! I want to read this one as I'm in the Star Wars frenzy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this review and is definitely on my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!