Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: Trust In Me by J. Lynn


Trust In Me by J. Lynn
Book 1.5 of the Wait For You series
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: October, 22, 2013
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

It’s Wait for You as you’ve never seen it. Trust in Me lets you in on Cam’s side of the #1 New York Times Bestselling story.

Cameron Hamilton is used to getting what he wants, especially when it comes to women. But when Avery Morgansten comes crashing into his life – literally – he finally meets the one person who can resist his soulful baby blues. But Cam’s not ready to give up. He can’t get the feisty and intriguing girl out of his head.

Avery has secrets, secrets that keep her from admitting the feelings Cam knows she has for him. Will persistence (and some delicious homemade cookies) help him break down her barriers and gain her trust? Or will he be shut out of Avery's life, losing his first real shot at the kind of love that lasts forever?

What I Liked:

Remember in my review of Wait For You (oh yeah, I was THAT person), when I mentioned that I really liked Cam? Well, this book just emphasized that point. Cam has an incredible personality, an amazing voice, and a fine, fine body, I hear. *winks*

Trust In Me is basically Wait For You, in Cam's point-of-view. Yes, that is kind of waste of time, because you're not getting a new story from two characters, or the next installment in a series, or background about the characters. BUT, we get Cam's side of things, Cam's background, Cam's feelings, and so on.

Cam was my favorite part of Wait For You - and really, the only part of Wait For You that I liked. I remember absolutely HATING Avery, but in this book, we get to see a different side of her. If I had read Trust In Me, and THEN Wait For You, I might not have hated the latter as much as I did. Because I seriously hated hated book.

Basically, I liked this book more than I liked Wait For You, because it involved Cam more so than the first book in this series did, but it's the same story. Therefore, I'm still meh about the plot and the story, and I still hate Avery, and everything else I hated in Wait For You.

What I Did Not Like:

Go read my review of Wait For You. It lists all those things I didn't like. This book is basically Wait For You, but in Cam's point-of-view, so all the problems I had with Wait For You, I had with Trust In Me. The stupid, DUMB heroine, predictable (lack of) plot, repeated New Adult (contemporary romance) tropes, the boredom... bleh.

I had less of a problem with boredom in this book - but that was probably due to the fact that I knew everything that was coming. So, I could skim-read some parts, or take my time reading other parts. This book kind of went slowly for me - probably because I was getting fed up of reading the same thing again, even if it was from Cam's point-of-view.

And honestly, this is supposed to be a NOVELLA, yet it's the size of a full-length novel. Probably because it IS a full-length novel. Just in a different character's point-of-view. It adds nothing to the series, really. It gives us more background on Cam, yes, but not really.

Eh, whatever. I didn't like Wait For You, so many of the elements of Trust In Me bothered me like they did in Wait For You. But I liked Trust In Me slightly more.

Would I Recommend It:

If you're a fan of this series, then you will most likely LOVE this book. I know most people already have read and loved this book, which is great. I liked this one more than I liked Wait For You, which was nice, so I would recommend this read to people who liked Wait For You.

If you didn't really enjoy Wait For You, and weren't planning on continuing with the series, that's cool too. You don't have to read this one, or this series. Honestly, if I hadn't requested this book for review, I probably wouldn't have read it. I certainly would not have bought it (which I didn't do).

Rating:

3 stars. I liked this one more than Wait For You, and I'm slightly more optimistic about Stay With Me. This is good.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I have been back and forth on reading this one since it is same story, different POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really liked the first book, then go for it! But eh, it wasn't like OMGMUSTREAD or anything.

      Delete
  2. I have Wait For You but I haven't read it yet, and I'm not very sure that I'll read this one. But I'll wait till I'm done with Wait For You before I pass any further judgement!

    Thanks for your honest review Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great plan, Pili! I honestly hope you love Wait For You! You most likely will.

      You're very welcome, and thank YOU for the comment!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!