Monday, June 9, 2014

Review: Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne


Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne
Book One of the Midnight Thief series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: July 8, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Growing up on Forge’s streets has taught Kyra how to stretch a coin. And when that’s not enough, her uncanny ability to scale walls and bypass guards helps her take what she needs.

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, she hesitates. She knows how to get by on her own, and she’s not sure she wants to play by his rules. But he’s persistent—and darkly attractive—and Kyra can’t quite resist his pull.

Tristam of Brancel is a young Palace knight on a mission. After his best friend is brutally murdered by Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, Tristam vows to take them down. But as his investigation deepens, he finds his efforts thwarted by a talented thief, one who sneaks past Palace defenses with uncanny ease.

When a fateful raid throws Kyra and Tristam together, the two enemies realize that their best chance at survival—and vengeance—might be to join forces. And as their loyalties are tested to the breaking point, they learn a startling secret about Kyra’s past that threatens to reshape both their lives.

What I Liked:

I KNEW I would love this book, I just knew it! I love epic fantasy, and this is the first one I've read in a while. I discovered this book early last year, and have been hounding Livia and Disney-Hyperion for it since. I was the first reader and review of Poison Dance, the prequel novella of this series, that features James' back-story, with Thalia. I loved the novella, and I loved this book. So much love!

Kyra, an orphan and "gutter rat", hesitantly joins the Assassins Guild. She excels at climbing anything, at making zero sounds, at not getting caught. The payout is excellent. James, the head assassin, is mysterious, deadly, but has confidence in her. The only thing is, Kyra has no idea why she is doing the jobs she's doing for the Guild. She doesn't know what the Guild is doing, but she has her suspicions. Meanwhile, on the other side, is Tristam, a Palace Knight, charged with investigating the recent raids, the mysterious Demon Riders, and the mythical Assassins Guild.

I have so many things to talk about, that I loved! Let's see if I hit them all. I loved that this book was written in dual perspectives, but NOT in first person. Both perspectives are in third person, but we get Kyra's point-of-view, and we get Tristam's point-of-view. Each character's story is very important, when they aren't interacting, and when they are. In fact, the two characters' paths do no really meet until quite some time into the story. Tristam's view of things is just important as Kyra's. Neither character had a more or less important role in this story.

I really, really liked both protagonists. Kyra is an extremely intelligent girl, brave and fearless, yet kind and selfless. She takes the Guild job partly to use the pay to help two street orphans, Idalee and Lettie. She is always looking out for Bella, The Drunken Dog's cook, and Flick, a friend she's known for ages. Kyra has a strong personality, and her character undergoes a subtle but remarkable development, throughout this story. I love it when I like a character from the beginning, and like the character even more, in the end. Especially the protagonist(s).

The same can be said for Tristam. He is also brave and strong , though his character change is much more pronounced. After his best friend Jack is killed by Demon Riders, Tristam grows a spine and thick skin. He will stop at nothing to hunt down the Demon Riders, to stop them. I really liked Tristam, from the beginning. His perspective is just as necessary as Kyra's. Usually, in a book told by two people, I'll prefer one or the other, but never both. In this book, I liked both!

The thing about fantasy stories is that they can tend to be repetitive or a little unoriginal after a while - especially the epic fantasy ones. That's why, when I get a really original one, I love it, cherish it, parade it around like nobody's business. THIS IS ONE OF THOSE BOOKS. In my opinion, this novel is very fresh and unique, in the epic fantasy world, and in literature in general. The kings and queens and kingdoms aspect isn't really in this book (though I love that aspect so much, I'm not complaining), but the story still has the same feel. Even still, the story and plot and whatnot were not what I expected, in a good way!

Blackburne's world-building is very well-done! One thing about fantasy novels is that the world-building HAS TO BE GOOD. You're creating an entirely new world from scratch; you can't just leave things for readers to figure out - you have to explicitly create and show readers your story's world. Blackburne outdid herself in the novella, and she outdid herself in this novel. There wasn't much guesswork or many holes in the world, so hats off to Blackburne! 

Speaking of the novella... the novella gives the background of James, and how he came to meet and fall in love with Thalia. The novella is heartbreaking and beautiful and dark, but it is a perfect prequel novella. We get a peek at the world of the Assassins Guild, and we get a good look at James. I really liked James in Poison Dance! I felt for him, so so much.

The thing about this book is that James isn't always portrayed as a "good guy". His intentions aren't always noble or "good". The lines between good and bad aren't always clear in this book. So what does this have to do with the novella? Well, I really liked James in the novella, and despite several things in this book, I really like him still. Getting background on a potential antagonist is VERY rewarding - we get to see in the mind of James, and in this way, we see his humanity. We don't always see "villains" or antagonists as human or good or whatever. But every villain thinks he is a hero. We see this so well in this book. Not that I'm saying that James is a villain or antagonist, necessarily. You'll see what I mean when you read the book.

As for romance - ahhh, lovely, it really is lovely! At first, I thought there would be a pair. Then a love triangle. Then a love pyramid? In which three different people are in love with Kyra. But that is NOT the case in this book! There is no love triangle or pyramid or anything of the sort. I have it on good authority that Blackburne will NOT be including a love triangle in this series. And there wasn't one in this book. In fact, the romance is basically nonexistent, in this book. It's so subtle, it doesn't really appear until the very end. And I love it!

Okay, dual perspectives, plot, story, characters, character development, worldbuilding, novella, romance... I think I hit most of everything I loved? I probably forgot something, I know I didn't do this book justice. But if you've read up until this point, then you'll be able to see and understand why I love this book so much! And hey, the gorgeous, awesome cover doesn't hurt! Not that the author can control the cover, but it is very wonderful, and represents the overall feel of the story very well!

Okay, okay, I'll stop now, I promise...

What I Did Not Like:

Nothing for this section at the moment! I try to be as objective as possible and point out as many positives AND negatives that I note, but I have no negatives. Don't judge me.

Would I Recommend It:

YESSS!! I knew I would most likely love this book, because I'm a huge epic fantasy fan and all. This book encompasses the epic fantasy that I absolutely love - the "medieval" type of fantasy that always captures my heart. Like Fire or Graceling by Kristin, or Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken. I'm not saying you have to be a fantasy fan to love this book. But if you ARE a fantasy fan, add this to your must-read-ASAP list. I want no one to miss this book! Step out of your comfort zone, if you usually don't read fantasy!

Rating:

5 stars. How about we make that ten stars. Or ten thousand. My most anticipated novel of 2014... is now one of my favorites. If I could recommend any one book to you so far, it would have to be TWO books, and they would be To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han, and Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne (this book). SO GOOD.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!



Poison Dance (the prequel novella) is FREE right now! Here are links:

20 comments:

  1. Well lady, congratulations in writing the kind of review that has made me run for Amazon.ES to buy the novella and to TBD to preorder The Midnight Thief!!
    Barely any romance, NO LOVE TRIANGLE, epic high fantasy... I must have it!!
    Brilliant review, Alyssa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I feel so special :D I'm very confident that you will enjoy it, since your tastes are very similar to mine. Epic fantasy, and little romance, you'll love it. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. YAY :D Amazing review sweetie. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book. Sigh. It sounds awesome :D YAY for no love triangle. <3 But.. little romance? Sniffs. But I can deal with that. Most likely :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have a sure feeling that you will like this one, Carina! And there is very little romance, but it is a good thing, trust me ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that the book was dual POV and that the world building was good. I will have to see what I think about the third person though. Those are sometimes a miss for me.

    I do love epic fantasy though, so I can't wait to give this one a try

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about third person - I'm so used to first person O_O But I generally like third person more than first person, and this novel was a great example of third person narration.

      I hope you love this one, Michelle! Thank you so much <3

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah! So love your enthusiasm for this one. I have a copy and I want to toss everything aside and dig in now. I love the sound of the world building, the characters and the romance. Fresh and unique? Yes, sign me up please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much love for this book! Go read it! I feel bad because I've had an eARC and ARC for a very long time, but because of my review schedule, I'm now getting to it. I hope you read and love it, Heidi!

      Delete
  5. Yeah! I love fantasy and I have an eARC of this one . After this glowing review, I think I will read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! You will love this one, Liza. Happy reading!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, you're so happy! And I'm so happy you loved this! But now I just want to read it right this moment! Must. Control. Self. And happy dance for no love triangle! Boo love triangles. I do wish there were more romance... I like romance. Ah, and yay worldbuilding!

    So many exclamation marks!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much excitement! It's totally worth the wait and enthusiasm and then some! I also wish for a little more romance, but towards the end, you can feel it more. Like, I think we'll be set in the second book ;D

      Delete
  7. I'd been looking forward to this one before, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Thanks for the great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you love this one when you read it, Kel! You're very welcome <3

      Delete
  8. I've been seeing so many favorable reviews for this book but I never stopped to read what it was about. I assumed it'd be dark from the cover. Well that's what I get for making assumptions. The book sounds great Alyssa. I'm glad I stopped to find out what it was about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomeee! And the novella is definitely darker than this full-length novel. I hope you read (and enjoy) Midnight Thief, Chanpreet!

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy I read this review! I am really excited about this book as it features a girl thief (love reading about those) but have seen some lackluster reviews that had me worried. I especially like what you wrote about James - I enjoy it when bad/semi-bad characters are shown as human, so now I'm even more excited and will go get the prequel novella now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so glad I could assist! I personally haven't seen *too* many negative reviews - but I know they're out there. So, the best thing you can do is read it yourself! Which I'm glad you'll be doing. Definitely read the prequel novella first!

      Thank you, Kayla!

      Delete
  10. I'm super excited to read the Midnight Thief! I had no idea that it was a dual 3rd person POV! I'm usually not a fan of these, but I hope I'll like it. I'm a huge fan of fantasy and this just sounds amazing, so I'm sure I'll love it like everyone else! Also, no love triangle! This makes me unbelievably happy. I was planning on meeting Livia at a signing in NM, but things came up and now it seems as I won't be able to go. :( Awesome review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomeeeee!! I love third person, and fantasy, and I felt like these elements really worked well together. And YES NO LOVE TRIANGLE!! One of the best parts! I hope you get to meet Livia at some point!

      Thank you, Ariel!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!