Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson


The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
Book One of the Remnant Chronicles
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Publication Date: July 8, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

In this timeless new trilogy about love and sacrifice, a princess must find her place in a reborn world.

In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn't—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.

What I Liked:

I'm a little pissed, because whoever told me there would be a love triangle in this book misled me. I got this book from the publisher, and then I saw somewhere about a love triangle, and I DREADED reading this book after seeing that. I literally did not want to read this book, because of the expected love triangle. But that information was misleading, and I'm so mad that I waited until now to read this book, because I was afraid of the potential love triangle. Trust me, this book would not get five stars from me, if there was a full-on, obnoxious love triangle.

So. We have Princess Lia, who has escaped on her wedding day with her friend Pauline. They flee to a small village, and begin their new lives there. Meanwhile, Lia's father has sent the army to search for her. The Komizar has sent an assassin. And the Prince of Dalbreck - her would-be husband - is also looking for her. Nothing is as it seems, no one as they seem.

I don't even know where to begin! FIVE STARS, PEOPLE. I rarely give books a rating of five stars. There was so much to love about this book - the writing, the characters, the romance, the fantasy, the story... everything!

The writing surprised me, honestly. For some reason, I didn't expect the writing to be so fluid and almost lyrical, with a historical fantasy quality to it. There are plenty of similes and metaphors and awesome comparisons, plenty without being too many. The writing definitely made this book wonderful to read.

The characters - that's kind of a general thing to like. I LOVED Lia, she surprised me. I was expecting a stuck-up princess at least in the beginning, but I found that I liked her from start to finish. I thought her judgments and actions were careful and intelligent, and that as much as she thought and analyzed everything, she was also good about listening to her heart and feelings. We see this a lot with Pauline, Lia's friend. Lia has a kind heart, but a stern disposition.

I really, really liked Rafe. In this book, we get to read from three different perspectives - Lia's, Rafe's, and Kaden's. Lia is the runaway princess bride. Rafe is the jilted prince, who is searching for Lia. Kaden is the Komizar assassin. It's so interesting to see how each character works his/her way into the plot, and how they keep missing each other, or not knowing that one is the other. When they all meet, it's incredible. 

But back to Rafe. I really like Rafe. For a prince, he also surprised me. I wanted to see more from his side, to be honest. He seemed very accustomed to doing a servant/farmhand's work. I wanted to know more about Dalbreck, and how Dalbreck treated their prince. Hopefully, in book two, we got to Dalbreck. I mean, it looks like we're going to Venda, but still. Maybe in book three.

I didn't hate Kaden, but I didn't like him, either. He's the ASSASSIN, trying to kill Lia. I suppose I like him as an assassin, but not necessarily as Lia's friend, or as a love interest. I didn't really care about his side of things, even though I could see and understand them.

I guess I'll talk about the romance then... yes, it looks like there is a love triangle. Lia, Rafe, Kaden. I thought so too. HOWEVER. I'd say that there is not a love triangle. While both young men harbor feelings towards Lia, I don't think Lia harbors feelings towards both of them. One of them, yes. And this is why I'm not pissed that there is even a potential to have a love triangle - because while the two of them have feelings for Lia, she does not necessarily have feelings for both of them.

I LOVE the fantasy world that Pearson has created. You all know that fantasy - specifically, medieval fantasy - is my favorite genre. I am very hard on authors when it comes to fantasy, and the worldbuilding of a fantasy novel. I think Pearson did a beautiful job of creating the world of Morrighan, the kingdoms, the wars, the traditions, the religion, everything. I can't find a plot hole or anything vaguely described or such. 

I want to know more about those books that Lia has, her gifts, the secrecy, the lies, the deception. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered, but I have no doubt that they will be answered throughout the next two books. So I'm not irritated by that or anything.

The story... oh, how I loved it. Lia and Pauline escape, they build a nice life elsewhere, then the assassin and the prince coming looking for them. Then the festival, then the conflict and climax. This book is long, and it seems like Pearson focuses on each part of the book a lot, but for good reason. I love how much page-time we get for each "part" of the book. The story was interesting and thrilling, I was never bored.

All in all, I know I haven't done this book justice, in this review. I'm terrified that I've misled anyone or spoiled anything, but I think I've been pretty vague. I seriously cannot wait to read book two! I NEED IT NOW!! Of course, a lot of people are saying that right now.

What I Did Not Like:

Nothing! At least in this book, I'm not too worried about the love triangle. That was the only thing that might have ended up in this section.

Would I Recommend It:

YES! Fantasy fan or not, you don't want to let this one pass you by. Unless you're planning to binge-read the entire series in 2016, when the final book comes out, GO READ THIS ONE NOW! Or as soon as (legally) possible. Seriously though.

Rating:

5 stars. Wow wow wow wow. I'm so impressed by this book! And to think, I might have let someone's comment about the love triangle ruin this book for me. Nope nope nope! I'm so happy that I loved this one!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

55 comments:

  1. WOW!! I had discounted this one due to the love triangle feeling I was getting from it, but now that it's got a 5 stars from you?? I know I MUST read this one STAT!!
    Fantastic review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! That's what happened to me too, but the love triangle isn't quite a love triangle. Be sure to read this one Pili - I hope you love it!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Well, damn. You were not supposed to love this book! lol :D I didn't :( and I did think there was a love triangle, lol. Because of the kissing near the end. I hated it. Ack. But I did sort of enjoy the book too. Maybe. But not enough. Sigh. But I do get why you loved it :D Amazing review sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I'm so sorry to hear that! I don't really think the one male is much of a threat, to be honest. But romance aside, it was an excellent novel, no? Though the romance does make a difference.

      Thank you, Carina!

      Delete
  3. Oh awesome! I think that's what led me to not request this book when I had the chance. You could practically smell the love triangle with the mention of 2 guys and 1 girl! But OMG, there's really not a love triangle?! So happy I decided to give it a chance anyway since I recently changed my mind and preordered it!

    Glad to see you thought so highly of it! I feel like I made the right decision in buying it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yupp, a love triangle seemed obvious BEFORE you read it, but in my opinion, it's not what you think. Meaning, it could be there, but it's really not. I really hope you love this one, Jessica! I'm sure you will :D

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. I have seen the book around and am intrigued by the cover. I love the clouds and the feeling of impending doom. This sounds like one of those books where you have to read it and decide for yourself. I don't care for love triangles, but I do like assassins. ^_^


    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is gorgeous, if nothing else! But the story is really great as well. I hate love triangles, so I get you. You should definitely give this one a try!

      Delete
  5. Hmmmn, I was kind of looking forward to this love triangle. Either way, I'm so excited for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I promise you that it exists, but it's not a fully-blown one (in my opinion). I hope you read and love it, Nereyda!

      Delete
  6. THIS ONE DOESN'T HAVE A LOVE TRIANGLE? THANK FREAKIN' GOODNESS. Yes, that had to be in all caps and -shakes fist at all the people who said there was a love triangle-.
    EEP, your five star rating makes me REALLY excited for this one! Like, so excited that I have to grab my ARC and read it NOW.
    And I wonder if I'll be on Team Rafe too. Most likely, I'll be on Team Nobody. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of, it does not. It's there, but it's not. It that makes sense. I really liked Rafe. You should too ;D

      Delete
  7. Oh my God! I have an eARC of this one but I didn't want to read because of the love triangle. Now, I'll try to read it as soon as possible!
    Wow, this sounds fantastic!!
    Lis @ The reader lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an open mind! I should have done that, I feel so stupid for waiting so long to read this one, because the "love triangle" scared me off D: Hope you read and love this one, Lis!

      Delete
  8. EEEEP! SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS ONEEEEEE. And so happy there's no love triangle (I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT ACTUALLY WOW) and that you loved this oneee! Literally everyone has loved it, but you're the high fantasy buff ;) SOOOOO FRICKIN EXCITED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! You must read this one too, Nikki! Be sure to do so when you go to the library or something! And thank you, I'm honored ^_^

      Delete
  9. Hmm...I may hold off until the next book is out, just to make extra sure the love triangle doesn't mutate into something annoying, but I'm glad you loved this one! The world definitely sounds interesting. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good idea! You're welcome, Kel!

      Delete
  10. I WANT THIS BOOK SO BAD! I saw on GR you rated this a 5 and I was like ohmysweetgoodness, it's that good because I know your 5 star ratings are like rare gems! And I don't think you spoiled the book at all. You told us what to expect and not expect while still keeping the entire plot line and romance hidden. I appreciate knowing that this is not a love triangle because I was also led to believe it was and I'm grateful and relieved it's not. I'm sick of love triangles. I'm super excited to meet these characters, especially Lia! I'm all for girls making their own choices and such! Ahhh, you have me wishing this book was out already! I think the author is coming to my city and I was debating whether or not to go since I haven't read the book, but your review= SOLD. Amazing as always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAASSSS! You definitely do!! And OMG I'm so glad you think so (about me spoiling things), because I was seriously afraid that I was too specific in some areas. I'm also sick of love triangles! Like STAHP TWISTING ME AROUND. You should definitely pick this one up, especially if Mary is coming your way. GET THINGS SIGNED :D Thank you!!

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to read this book, I'm glad there's no love triangle, those are getting old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! And so far, the heroine REALLY likes only one of the two guys. Hopefully it stays that way. The other guy can like her all he wants, as long as she doesn't reciprocate. *stares at author*

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to read this! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I love this author. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. i read your review, so if you like it it must be good!
    i have never read medieval fantasy, so this its going tobe a good book to start!
    thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a good fantasy novel, I'm sure you will enjoy it! You're very welcome <3

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the review and ranking of this book. I will definitely get this book to read now. I love the cover, but did not know if I would enjoy it. I am sure I will now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST!! I'm quite sure you will enjoy it, Judy.

      Delete
  16. It seems very interesting and your review makes me want to read it! Ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do read it, Jello! Don't miss it ^_^

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you liked it so much. I've been curious about this book ever since I read about it. It was on my maybe list, but with all the great reviews I've been reading it is now on my Definitly need to read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're interested in the book! You should definitely give it a shot :)

      Delete
  18. It is really like stories told from multiple viewpoints, especially when there is a romance brewing. I'm going to have to read this to discover if she picks the prince or the assassin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you'll find out when you read this one, Susan ;D

      Delete
  19. I've been looking forward to this book and I'm so, so glad you liked it!! And I'm especially glad to hear that there isn't really a love triangle, either. So excited to read this book!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Happy reading, Christine - you should let me know what you think of this book once you read it!!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for the review!!! I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I've heard great things about it. The synopsis is intriguing. Plus, look at the cover! It's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Dudeee, the cover design team did SUCH a great job with this cover. I was interested in the book before the cover was revealed but it is such a good reason to check out this book!!

      Delete
  21. I recently finished this book and I COMPLETELY agree with you on everything you said on your review. I am madly deeply in love with this series and the ending? OMG! I need to bribe someone so I can get my hands in the second book. Simply mind-blowing. Thank you for putting my words and feelings into words ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYY!! Patricia, I'm so glad to hear this!! Book two book two book two!! Pearson is toying with us, just like Rutkoski is lol. Thank YOU for the very kind words!! <3 <3

      Delete
  22. I wanted to read this before, but now I NEED to read this! Ty for your honest review! :D
    Mary G Loki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES! Be sure that you do! You're welcome, Mary ^_^

      Delete
  23. I'm glad to hear you loved it!!
    I was soooooo confused about the Prince/Assassin and who was suppose to Kaden and Rafe, haha. But I was really glad there wasn't a love triangle, and I totally agree, I think Rafe is them more interesting of the two! Great review, Alyssa! I can't wait for the next book...that ending!

    Here's my review if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it seems like most people were! I had a good idea as to who was who, when reading. I hope the "love triangle" potential doesn't manifest in book two -.- THE ENDING D: We'll just have to wait in agony, Cyn!

      Delete
  24. Exactly my type of stories, though I haven't read books from this genre recently. Your review honestly made me look for this book everywhere.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HOPE YOU LOVE THIS BOOK! It's an amazing fantasy read! Go go go!

      You're welcome <3

      Delete
  25. Awesome! Glad you liked it so much. Sorry you were misled about the love triangle, but super-glad there isn't one here. I was worried there'd be one too. It's great how much YA Fantasy is being released lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just really happy that (so far) it seems like there is no love triangle. FANTASY FOR THE WIN!

      Delete
  26. I can't wait to read about Lia, she sounds amazing! I also heard there was a love triangle, not that I mind. I usually don't mind a triangle as long as they are not mess and it's resolved quickly and not strung out through several books. I'm glad this is different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you can stomach the love triangles! There are too many YA series that seem dependent on the love triangle, throughout the entire series.

      Delete
  27. I almost never read YA books, I started my book addiction with them but left it behind after I started reading adult romance. This book however can maybe persuade me to read a YA. Thanks for you honest review, it really sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you should go back! I read a healthy mixture of both, to be honest. There are quite a few good YA books, like this one! You're very welcome!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!