Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (#73): Like Water on Stone by Dana Walrath


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


This week, I'm featuring:


Like Water on Stone by Dana Walrath
Publisher: Delacorte
Publication Date: November 11, 2014

Summary (from Goodreads):

Newbery Medalist Karen Hesse calls this story for readers of The Book Thief and Between Shades of Gray “a fine and haunting work.” Blending magical realism and lyrical free verse, this is an intense survival story of three siblings caught up in the horrific events of the Armenian genocide of 1915.

It is 1914, and the Ottoman Empire is crumbling into violence. 

Beyond Anatolia, in the Armenian Highlands, Shahen Donabedian dreams of going to New York. Sosi, his twin sister, never wants to leave her home, especially now that she is in love. At first, only Papa, who counts Turks and Kurds among his closest friends, stands in Shahen’s way. But when the Ottoman pashas set their plans to eliminate all Armenians in motion, neither twin has a choice.

After a horrifying attack leaves them orphaned, Shahen and Sosi flee into the mountains, carrying their little sister, Mariam. Shahen keeps their parents’ fate a secret from his sisters. But the children are not alone. An eagle named Ardziv watches over them as they run at night and hide each day, making their way across mountain ridges and rivers red with blood.



Historical fiction! This one sounds like a moving one :)

39 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, this is going to make me cry buckets and buckets of tears. You can just tell. We don't see many books set in the Ottoman Empire/Armenia, either, so that should be interesting! Great pick Alyssa! :D

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I'll bring you tissues ^_^ I'm definitely intrigued by the setting!

      Also, look at you being first ;)

      Delete
  2. Pretty cover, hih :D And ohh. I do like books set around that time. <3 Amazing pick sweetie. I hope you will love this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And me too! Thank you, Carina.

      Delete
  3. Love the cover and it sounds like a great read! Awesome choice!

    Here’s My WoW!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick! Totally new to me! Hope you love it!


    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Alyssa what a discovery!! This one sounds fantastic!! I'm totally adding it to the TBR list!
    Historical fiction, early 20th century, lyrical verse... sounds super interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though! I hope you love it, Pili ^_^

      Delete
  6. What a cover, and I think it will be really good. Great pick.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blurb was so intense! Eagles? River of blood? Very intriguing. Thanks for sharing this, Alyssa. I'm a huge historical fiction fan, so I can't wait to read this. Lovely pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! It's sounds epic! And beautiful. I hope you do read and love it, Nick!

      Delete
  8. This one sounds very cool. I enjoy switching it up and reading a story about a different place I've never been. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should check out this one, Megan! :)

      Delete
  9. This doesn't sound like something I normally read, but I hope you enjoy it.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really intriguing! I admit I'm not much of a history buff for that time period and especially with Armenian history but, Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for turning me onto it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I'm glad that you enjoy historical fiction. You're welcome, Jade!

      Delete
  11. This is a new title for me. Will have to check it out. I'm not a huge historical fiction person. Thanks for stopping by The Cover Contessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this sounds really interesting! Great pick as always!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Free verse books aren't really for me but I hope you get this soon Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not heard of this one before, but whenever you get the chance to read it I hope you like it :)

    Janina
    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover, great choice! :) The synopsis sounds interesting, I will definitely be on the look out for this book.

    My WoW


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you read it, I hope you like ^_^

      Delete
  16. sounds good and hope you get to read it soon, and have a happy hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this one is new to me, but it sounds really good and I love that unusual cover. I really hope you'll enjoy it. Great pick and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is kind of cool! Thank you, and you're welcome, Tanja!

      Delete
  18. It does sounds intriguing. The cover is pretty and I wonder what it means. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm curious as to the idea behind the design. You're welcome, Liza!

      Delete
  19. Oh wow this sounds really intense and beautiful. I hope you love it!

    My WoW: http://roseshadowink.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/grabby-paws-strange-ever-after-by-susan-dennard/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one is totally new to me! I hope once you get it you really enjoy it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!