Monday, May 26, 2014

Armchair BEA Day One: Introductions & Literature


Hello everyone! Happy Monday! I know most of you are actually at BEA, but I'm not, so this year, I am participating in Armchair BEA for the second time! Here I go!


Introductions:

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from? 

I'm Alyssa, and I just completed my freshman year at Johns Hopkins University! I started blogging December 29th (2012), so I've been blogging for a year and a half. I love blogging because I get to do more of what I already love to do (read and write opinions), and I get to network with people all around the world. Also, I'm exposed to so many new books, that I might not see in my public library!


Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details -- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- so we can connect more online. 

The Eater of Books! is a book blog for people who need their daily dose of the printed word.



What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ . 

Epic fantasy! I love to read because it's the perfect escape for me.


What was your favorite book read last year? What’s your favorite book so far this year? 


This year, so far, I seriously LOVED To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. But wait! Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne (my most anticipated novel of 2014) is coming up on my review pile!


What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like? (Pinterest encouraged!) 

Uhhh, my room. My bed. Super clean (I swear I have OCD or something). Honestly, I'm not picky with where I read though. Just don't bother me!


What is your favorite blogging resource? 

... Blogging resource? Maybe this sounds snobby, but I don't have one? If I have a blogging or reviewing question, I look for the answer myself, from a variety of (random but credible) sources.


Spread the love by naming your favorite blogs/bloggers (doesn't necessarily have to be book blogs/bloggers). 

Jess of Lovin Los Libros (who will be at BEA!)
Nereyda of Mostly YA Obsessed
The Team at The YA Bookcase
Jessica of Step Into Fiction (who will be at BEA!)
Alexis of Alexis Adores Books (who will be at BEA!)
Rachel of Paper Cuts
Nikki of Fiction Freak


Share your favorite book or reading related quote. 

"I thought you wanted to go."
"I wanted you to ask me to stay."


Describes my love life perfectly. Sort of. Sigh.


If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books would you bring? Why? What 3 non-book items would you bring? Why? 

1. Fire by Kristin Cashore: it's my favorite book of all time!
2. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers: one of my favorite books of all time!
3. How to Survive on a Deserted Island by Tim O'Shei: heh

(I) Machete: because DUH.
(II) A lighter: again, DUH.
(III) A bag: to gather all my valuables when I build my raft and sail away!


 What book would you love to see as a movie? 

Rush by Eve Silver! It's kickbutt :D


Literature:

I generally don't read too much "literature" or classics - I'm not a fan. I have read plenty of classics, either as required reading for school, or just because I felt like it. One novel that really stuck with me was:




So much love for this book. It's pretty short, as far as classics go, and a wonderful, lighthearted novel that goes so much deeper than what is presented at its surface.

15 comments:

  1. YAY! Armchair BEA! I'm sad to be missing out on this one too, but this week is gonna be too busy for me to spend too much time blogging...
    And lookie, I made your list of fave bloggers!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I know what you mean though. Those cupcakes won't bake themselves!

      And OF COURSE :D *hugs back*

      Delete
  2. Oooh, so cool that this is your second year at Armchair BEA, this is my first.
    I have Grave Mercy, but have yet to read it--thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, second year! And I hope you read and love Grave Mercy ^_^

      Delete
  3. So cool learning more about you. I love the quote you chose... beautiful. I'm gonna have to check out Rush. I've seen it around and admit, it does look really amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) It's such a good quote! And Rush is so great, definitely check it out!

      Delete
  4. So excited that you're doing Armchair BEA this year. I had just started blogging last year at this time so I didn't do it. But I'm doing it this year as my dream for a private jet hasn't panned out. Anyway, I still need to read Grave Mercy. I keep wanting to pick it up, but then I completely forget about it. Definitely putting it on my To Buy list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexia! And ha - my plan for mucho dinero hasn't come to fruition yet. I hope you read Grave Mercy! Do it do it do it!

      Delete
  5. Visiting your blog via ABEA; my YA mystery / thriller, FERAL, will release in August with HarperTeen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Too bad you didn't get to go to BEA, but glad you're participating here!

    You're at John Hopkins? WOW.That's kind of awesome.

    Yay Epic Fantasy! Grave Mercy is definitely on my list.

    Not big on classics? Well, if you like epic fantasy I suppose you could try Dracula (because it's fantasy-esque) or Wuthering Heights (because it's epic).

    Hope you enjoy Armchair BEA! Here's my Armchair BEA Day 1 Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEA, next year, maybe! And yes, Hopkins! Fancy ish :D Grave Mercy is amazing, definitely check it out! I believe I read Dracula... nope, that was Frankenstein. I feel obligated to read Dracula now - it's a classic but an awesome one!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww, I just came here while packing my suitcase for BEA and saw that you listed me as one of your favorite bloggers. You're making me blush <3 THANK YOU! I hope one year you're able to go to this con especially since so many YADC-ers go - it'll be like a big ole party! If you wanna borrow anything I bring home, just let me know. I'm being extremely selective this year as it's more about networking and meeting people than it is books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you're one of my favorites! And not just because you're an MDer :) Thank you so much for even offering, lady! Which reminds me, I need to do a big mailing clean-out at the end of the month, in which you'll get Illusive ;D Thank you again! <3

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!