Monday, May 19, 2014

Review: My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal


My Last Kiss by Bethany Neal
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux 
Publication Date: June 10, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

What if your last kiss was with the wrong boy? 

Cassidy Haines remembers her first kiss vividly. It was on the old covered bridge the summer before her freshman year with her boyfriend of three years, Ethan Keys. But her last kiss--the one she shared with someone at her seventeenth birthday party the night she died--is a blur. Cassidy is trapped in the living world, not only mourning the loss of her human body, but left with the grim suspicion that her untimely death wasn't a suicide as everyone assumes. She can't remember anything from the weeks leading up to her birthday and she's worried that she may have betrayed her boyfriend. 

If Cassidy is to uncover the truth about that fateful night and make amends with the only boy she'll ever love, she must face her past and all the decisions she made--good and bad--that led to her last kiss.

What I Liked:

A contemporary novel set from the perspective of the dead heroine - weird, right? Cassidy is dead, but she's a ghost. She remembers nothing from the night of her death, but she knows it wasn't a suicide (like everyone thinks it is). Someone pushed her into the ice-cold river. Dead Cassidy is determined to know what happened to her, and so is Cassidy's friend Aimee, and Cassidy's boyfriend Ethan. Ethan can see ghost Cassidy, but no one else can. Really weird, right?

This book is a mystery, and it flips between present and past. Actually, ghost Cassidy is pulled between past and present. One minute, she's in the present, one moment, she's being sucked into the past. Slowly, she gets pieces of her memory back, one by one. By the end of the book, she is able to figure out how she died, and all of the events leading up to her death. It's not as simple as someone pushing her. There are many factors, many players, many motives.

That was definitely one of the things I liked about this book - the complexity of the entire situation. The blame is on just about everyone, even though only one person is responsible for Cassidy's death. One girl was in love with Ethan, and wanted to sabotage Cassidy and Ethan's relationship. One boy wanted to protect his best friend's heart from getting broken by Cassidy. One boy was in love with Cassidy, except he couldn't be, because Ethan is in love with Cassidy. And Cassidy herself, dallying with another boy. Complex, intricate, fragile...

The mystery kept me going, if anything. I wanted to know what happened to Cassidy. But after a while, things seemed to go in circles, and I just wanted to know who did it. Information seemed inconclusive, or unimportant. So, I finished this book, but I had issues with it.

What I Did Not Like:

Like I mentioned above, I had problems with this book. The plot seemed to go around and around, the mystery getting stale and boring. I WANTED to know the story behind Cassidy's death, and how each person played a role in her death, but this book kept going in circles. Scene after scene, the information presented seemed useless. Nothing really showed anything important to solving the mystery.

Not until the very end. In the end, everything is revealed, and it's like a huge info dump. I still don't fully understand everything that was revealed at the end, and quite frankly, I don't care enough to re-read the end and figure it out. I'm sorry if you might have wanted me to do that.

I already know that I would not like the heroine, Cassidy, if she were a real person. I would probably hate her a lot. She seems like the stuck-up type, that gets whatever she wants without having to work hard to ask or do anything. The sense of entitlement, it's strong with this girl. What she did with and to Caleb was wrong. And the same, with and to Ethan. I really didn't like Cassidy - I found her annoying. Of course, I wouldn't wish death on anyone, but ugh, even in death, I wasn't a fan of her.

It's hard to like a book if you didn't really like the protagonist, or the plot. Again, the mystery was cool, but when it started going in circles, I sort of shut down. I wanted to know what was going on, what had happened, and that wasn't being revealed. Even in the end, it was confusing. THAT IS ANNOYING.

Also, please explain to me why Ethan is the only one that can see Cassidy? No explanation was given. You couldn't make one up? Like, Ethan and Cassidy are soul mates, or something. Absolutely no explanation was offered, and I have more of a problem with the lack of explanation, than whatever possible explanation the author could have offered. If that makes sense.

Would I Recommend It:

Hmm, not really. If you already have this book, then read it! If you were already super excited to read it, then go for it! But if you were on the fence, or didn't have much interest to begin with, then don't bother. It isn't a must-read, or the next bestselling novel (that I can see, anyway. I could be wrong).

Rating:

3 stars. This was an interesting book, and I enjoyed reading it, but I wouldn't read it again. The mystery was intriguing and puzzling, but this book wasn't amazing or mind-blowing or THAT GOOD, unfortunately.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

22 comments:

  1. Hmmm, as I was in the fence about this one... I might just end up giving it a pass. Despite the murder mystery and the ghost, it seems that is a contemporary through and through, and I cannot care for more drama right now!
    Thanks for your very honest review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pass, if I were you. I know what you mean about contemporary and drama.

      You're very welcome!

      Delete
  2. I already struggle with ghost books for some reason, so I wasn't really interested in this book in the first place, but your review has solidified my decision. I don't like the sound of Cassidy and it looks like they mystery part is not that well-handled. Not being able to connect with the main character is always a determining factor for me when I DNF a book, so I would probably DNF this one even if I did read it.
    I'm sorry this wasn't the best read for you, Alyssa, but great honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Nick! They're definitely not my thing. I'm glad to have helped in some way! And thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, what a shame! This one sounds so interesting, too. It's seriously hard to like a book when you can't like the protagonist or the plot. I mean, one and not the other, sure, but both?

    I so love you for saying you don't care to reread the ending to figure it out and, "I'm sorry, if you might have wanted me to do that." I LOLed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have this one, then give it a whirl! Otherwise, meh. I tried, girl, I really did. Glad to have made you smile :D

      Delete
  4. Great review sweetie. <3 I really enjoyed this book. Didn't fully love it, as I had some issues with how much she hurt Ethan :( SOBS. But anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed the book :D Because ah. Ethan. I loved him so much, lol. And I did like the murder mystery as well :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you did love it! I definitely felt bad for Ethan. He was the most innocent, of all of the characters.

      You're welcome, Carina!

      Delete
  5. I always wanted to read this book, I am sad to know that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, oh well ,I am still going to try reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might really like it, Karin! I'm seriously the pickiest reader O_O

      Delete
  6. Now, I really wanted to read this book but it clearly has some flaws. However, I'll give it a try and see how annoying the protagonist is ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good! You might really like it!

      Delete
  7. I love mysteries and am intrigued by the idea of the narrator being a ghost but the negatives you have listed sound like they would annoy me too. I really need to have some like for the main character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES sound really cool, right? Too bad about my dislikes :/

      Delete
  8. Hmm. . . After this review my hype kind of died, haha. Just kidding, but I did lol a lot! I really appreciate the honest review. Going between past & present is a tricky thing to write . . & has to be done well for me to read. I get confused easily. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, remember, I'm weird about ghost books, especially "uncovering the secrets" kind of ghost books. You might find that you like this one more than I did!

      You're welcome, Kara!

      Delete
  9. Hmm... After reading your review, instead of being more excited about having this book.. I am now more curious of what this book can give to me. And I do agree to you, that is really confusing and should be somehow explained or hinted (the reason why only Ethan can see her). Thanks for the honest review, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read it, I hope you like it more than I did, Kristelle! I know that many bloggers and reviewers loved it.

      Thank YOU!! <3

      Delete
  10. Awww, what a shame. It sound so great :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good! Just not amazing, in my opinion.

      Delete
  11. The last sentence of chapter 25 tells you why Cassidy is only seen by Ethan.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!