Friday, November 21, 2014

Review: This Night So Dark by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner


This Night So Dark by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Book 1.5 of the Starbound series
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: October 7, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Kindle copy bought from Amazon

Summary (from Goodreads):

Don’t miss the breathtaking short story that connects the first two novels in the Starbound trilogy, These Broken Stars and This Shattered World. Tarver still has nightmares about the night, six months before the Icarus crash, when he rescued a group of civilian researchers being held hostage by brutal mercenaries. Now Tarver and Lilac must reconcile his memories of that fateful night with the truth that they uncovered on a mysterious planet after the Icarus crashed. Includes a bonus preview chapter from This Shattered World.

What I Liked:

If you've been regularly following my blog, you'll know that I've read and LOVED These Broken Stars and This Shattered World. Seriously, this series is fabulous, and it's got covers to match. Now, this novella. I'd already read books one and two, and I usually don't like novellas... but as I said, I love the series, and hey, the novella was free. Still is. So, what did I have to love?

This novella is a short story - it tells the story of how Tarver became a hero, when he was held by mercenaries and miraculously escaped with other hostages. The story itself is less than half of the ebook - the other half is the beginning of book one, and a preview of book two (both of which I'd already read). 

Like with most novellas, this one wasn't NECESSARY to read, in order to know the story in books one and two. I can freely say this because I've read books one and two, before reading this novella. It definitely does help, to see how Tarver became so highly honored in the military.

The story is pretty intense, and I won't go into the specifics (it's so short, you could read it yourself!). Kaufman and Spooner manage to pack in a complete story in a very small space, which is awesome. Seriously, there were some plot twists that threw me in the beginning, and the ending rushed at me very quickly (in a good way). Very well done!

Lilac is present in this story - Tarver was having nightmares about this night, and she wakes him, so he tells her about it. At the beginning of every chapter, we get Tarver telling Lilac something about the memory (present), and then Tarver and the hostage situation (in the past). There is something crucial that Tarver tells Lilac in this book, something that Tarver doesn't realize in the first book. It's not necessary to read this book to know the thing, because it's taken care of in book two, but I like how all arrows are pointing in the same direction. So to speak.

As you can tell, I liked this novella! For someone who doesn't like to read too many of these, I liked it a lot. 

What I Did Not Like:

It was so short! Not even half of the ebook! But then, it is billed as a short story. Waahh, I so wanted more. In a good way!

Would I Recommend It:

Even though I don't like novellas (too short, too expensive, too unnecessary), I would definitely say that this one is worth the time! And it's free, so, why not. Also, I recommend this series in general. 

Rating:

4 stars. Now, back to wanting book three... it will be a long wait, especially since I read This Shattered World back in June!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

18 comments:

  1. LOL! I enjoyed your review and learning your take on novellas. I love the ones that contain a strong story and manage to enhance the experience of reading the novel-length books around it in the process. Sounds fab, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Thank you so much, Sophia! If you read this one, I hope you like it :D

      Delete
  2. I loved reading more Lilac and Tarver and found that the story was fantastic even if it was so short! And Amie and Meagan were amazing because they made sure everyone could get the story for free!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! And I saw that - those ladies are great ^_^

      Delete
  3. Why haven't I read this yet? I'm so glad you loved it. What a great series by the best team in ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved These Broken Stars too, have got the eARC of This Shattered World (haven't read yet). So I was a little heart broken when I realized that each book in the series will have different protagonists but your review gives me hope because I was deeply and terribly missing Lilac and Tarver and i'm eager to read this story now.

    Great review :)
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love This Shattered World though, Aparajita! I thought the exact same thing you did, but I wasn't disappointed at all. I hope you enjoy this novella!

      Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. this is an interesting book ,, thanks for sharing ,, i will add it to my TBR list ,, AWESOME as always :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay. <3 I just read this short story too :) Amazing review Alyssa. <3 Sigh. It was just all kinds of awesome, wasn't it? :D I also loved it a whole lot. And so sad it was so short. Hmph. I want so much more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved it as well! But yeah, I wanted more too ^_^

      Delete
  7. I will forever and ever and ever read books about Tarver and Lilac. They are probably top 10 OTP for me, I love them so much! I hope we will get more short stories of them in the future, though I'm not so sure. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's awesome! I'm glad we got at least this one :D

      Delete
  8. I read it and I really liked it (I love these characters anyway!) I'm starting This Shatter World soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I probably will get around to reading this eventually, but I have a general no-novellas-until-after-the-book policy. Here's hoping the library gets This Shattered World asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I understand that. Usually I don't read novellas at all. Hope you love This Shattered World and the novella!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!