Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner


These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Book One of the Starbound trilogy
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: December 10, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

What I Liked:

I literally just finished this book and ahh, I don't know how to review it! I know I really enjoyed this book, and I know that there were some things that I wasn't quite sure about, but for some reason, the write words are not coming to me, to write this review. So, um, if this review seems scattered in any way, I apologize! I really just don't know how to review this book - I'm at a loss for words! In a good way, I believe.

Tarver and Lilac meet once, twice, before everything goes to naught. Tarver doesn't realize until after the second encounter, when Lilac is a complete b**** to him, that Lilac is the spoiled daughter of the richest man in the universe, Monsieur LaRoux. Nobody goes near Lilac LaRoux because of her father and the LaRoux reputation - untouchable. But none of that matters when the Icarus is torn from hyperspace and crashes onto a planet. Lilac and Tarver surprise by safely entering an escape pod before the ship breaks apart and crash lands.

Lilac and Tarver also crash land on the planet. It seems to be terra-formed, but Tarver's military knowledge keeps him cautious of this unknown planet. Lilac, on the other hand, has a horrible time adjusting to this new change. She's used to being pampered and waited on, and when she realizes it's just her and Tarver, her attitude turns nastier and more selfish than before.

Most of this book deals with Tarver and Lilac exploring the planet and trying to survive. Kaufman and Spooner did an EXCELLENT job of keeping this realistic. Survival was not easy for either character, but especially not for Lilac. Princess couldn't even handle walking - her impractical shoes prevented her from keeping up with Tarver many times.

In this sense, Kaufman and Spooner characterized Lilac and Tarver VERY well. Lilac is nothing but a spoiled Daddy's girl, used to the REALLY good life. I hated her at first, bu I came to realize that it wasn't easy being her (despite living the privileged life), that she didn't necessarily ask for that life (though yes, she never really complained), and in reality, she changed quite a bit, from beginning to end. Lilac's transformation was very appealing - it made me really like her, by the end of the book. Her strength of character really shined by the time we got to the interrogation. 

And Tarver. I love Tarver so so so much. He is easily my favorite character of the book (granted, there aren't that many, but still). His strength of character impressed me more than Lilac's. Tarver is a decorated war hero for good reason, and he uses his experience to survive on the mystery planet. He also has a great deal of patience, to not punch Lilac in the face or leave her with the pod or something. Honestly, I might have done one of those things, in the beginning.

Or all of them.

But anyway. Yay Tarver! He's awesome. He really made this story interesting. I like that Kaufman and Spooner integrated both characters' points of view in this novel. It helped me understand (and like) Lilac more, and I just loved reading Tarver's scenes. He's a pretty great guy!

The plot of this novel is slow, in my opinion. It's all about survival, and explaining how Tarver and Lilac survived takes time. Also, building up to what the heck is going on with the planet takes time. A lot of time. Almost the whole darn novel. Yawn. I'll talk about that later.

Romance - great. The progression of Tarver and Lilac's relationship is slow but realistic. In a difficult and hopeless time, they still fall in love with each other. SOMEHOW, Tarver deals with Lilac's snootiness in the beginning, and in the end, for good reason.

The end... well, you'll just have to read this one to know what I'm thinking! But it was pretty... crazy.

What I Did Not Like:

As I mentioned before, this novel's plot is kind of slow. I put this one down several times, because it wasn't interesting at that point, or because I was bored and wanted something DYNAMIC to happen. Not many dynamic things happen in this book. Ship breaks apart. Boy and girl survive, explore planet. Girl is ridiculous, boy is amazing. They find out things. The end happens. I mean, that's basically it. 

And honestly, I really don't understand what's wrong with the planet, and the illusions, or whatever. It doesn't make sense to me, with the energy and whatnot. You'll have to read the book to know and understand what I'm talking about (no spoilers from me!), and I hope you do, because I really didn't understand everything. I feel like the explanation part, or the climax, is a bit rushed, and things aren't very well explained. Like, all of a sudden, Tarver and Lilac know exactly what is happening, and they totally understand each other and everything, but we as readers are still kind of in the dark. 

It could just be me, but I doubt it. I'm usually pretty astute with these things.

Would I Recommend It:

I would definitely recommend this book to just about anyone! I have a deep love for science fiction, as well as a good romance, and this book/the authors did a great job of delivering both of those. I really did enjoy this book, despite a few things I didn't understand or like.

Rating:

4.5 stars -> rounded down to 4 stars.This book is definitely going down as one of my favorite reads of 2013!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

42 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. I get a kick out of watching character's change or at least watching them reveal the real person inside and survival stories are always a hit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Sophia! You will love this one. Survival stories really do show what people are made of. You're very welcome!

      Delete
  2. I am DYING to read this! Pre-ordered it and everything. Great review!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sure that you will love this one, Alexis. Thank you! <3

      Delete
  3. I've heard about this one I've been dying to get my hands on it I haven't read a lot of sci-fy books and this one book looks and sounds great to start out first with a sci-fy book! thanks for sharing Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's been talking about this one! It's definitely a series to read. I hope you read it, Katiria! And love it.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one! I still need to read it but I heard some positive things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many positive reviews out there, especially now, with less than a month until release day. I hope you enjoy it, Ellie!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you mostly loved this book :D I really need to read my copy soon.. should start it next. Probably. Love your review :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I highly recommend it to you, Carina. I hope you love it when you read it, Carina! Hopefully, your copy comes soon :)

      Delete
  6. I'm quite excited for this book! I can't wait to get my copy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't in the past read a lot of science fiction, but I have been trying to expand my horizons lately. And I am glad that I have been trying because I have read some amazing books that I would have passed on previously. Like this one. I would never have read it before, but now I am absolutely planning to read it. Especially after some of the reviews that I have read. I think I would be missing out if I passed this one by. And that COVER! It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Jaime! Good idea! I think the cover of this one swayed a lot of people to give it a try. And just about all the reviews that I have read of this book have been very positive. Definitely check it out when you get the chance!

      Delete
    2. Usually I try really hard not to let a cover make the "to read or not to read" decision for me, but come on! Sometimes, if a cover is that beautiful, I gotta read the book to see if it can match!

      Delete
    3. Covers are definitely meant to catch the eye, so the pretty ones will. We're humans! It's expected. I hope this one is a good read, for you!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this yet but have heard a lot about it. Your review wants me to buy it and start reading it right now even though I'm ready to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST! I feel like so many people have already read and enjoyed this book. But sleep is important too ;D

      Delete
  9. I really want to read this book. I just don't know how I can get this book without purchasing. :( And your review describes the plot very well. You gives us good point of view and it makes me really want to read this book badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purchase it! Or borrow from the library. Or enter a giveaway. No illegal stuff though. I hope you get to read it sometime!

      Delete
  10. If it was slow and confusing, I don't understand the initial rating of 4.5 stars. It seems to me it should be 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.0. I'm just going by the gist of your review. It seems slow, disjointed, with the world-building not as focused as it should have been and the only really well-developed aspect the romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at thing specifically AND holistically. And also, ratings are tricky. While I loved this book, I had problems with it. When I finished, I was like OMG OVERALL THIS WAS FANTASTIC! But as I began to analyze and look back at specific parts and structures of the book, I realize that while yes, I really enjoyed the book, there were some things with which I wasn't happy. That explains the rounding down, instead of rounding up.

      The romance is really front and center in this book - which is why most people enjoyed it. I tend not to look for just the romance, which is why that was a negative point on my part.

      But, to each their own! It's a great book.

      Delete
  11. wow..u gave 4.5 stars on amazon review...this must be a really good book...
    the authors are new for me but i put on my TBR list...
    i read ur review and i like it..thx u :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good one! I wouldn't miss it. Amie Kaufman is a debut author, but Meagan Spooner has two books in a series out already (I reviewed both on my blog already).

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  12. I've heard so many amazing things about this book that I'm dying to read it. The cover is absolutely great and I'm really eager to find out about the ending everyone keeps talking about. loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I'm sure you'll enjoy the book, cover to cover. Especially that front cover ;D

      Delete
  13. I think this book sounds soooo good, and I love science fiction. I'm kinda sad to hear that it gets a bit slow at times, but I still think I'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you love science fiction! I feel like it's a bit unappreciated in YA literature. And while it IS slow at times, the book (overall) is very, very good :)

      Delete
  14. I can't wait to read this one!!! Although, I love science fiction, I don't usually read that many sci-fi books (don't no why, to be quite honest!), but this one sounds really intriguing and judging by the cover, pretty romantic. Great review, especially the "girl is ridiculous, boy is amazing" part. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that - there aren't as many YA science fiction novels out there as I wish there would be. It's all-around a fabulous read! And OMG thank you, Sandra ^_^

      Delete
  15. the ya ay book are great read and then each one who does them all do them differ t and then i love to read and then see how they are done great book

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very interested in this book! Although it seems like Lilac is not the most likeable of characters at first, I am willing to give it a try. I am very intrigued by the sci fi lol and Tarver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that you will like this book! I seem to be one of the few people who had a problem with Lilac (at first). AND YES TARVER AHHH! :D

      Delete
  17. everyone loved this book and I'm DYING to get my hands on it! I love the sound of Tarver and the survival aspect in this novel. definitely picking it up when i have the chance.

    great review :D
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST! What is stopping you! It's a fantastic read - maybe you'll get it for the holidays!

      Delete
  18. I've heard so many good things about this book and I'm excited to read it but my tbr list is so long! :) I have no idea when I'll get to it but I definitely know what it's like to be at a loss for words on a book review!
    -Faith at booknook96.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would get it just because it is gorgeous :D And this one is a speechless novel! So good, I didn't even know how to write the review.

      Delete
  19. I CANT WAIT TO READ THIS. I HOPE I WIN AAAAHH MY FANGIRL FEELS

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to read this!!! Though it may be slow, you made Tarver sound amazing and I can't wait to read about him! Really enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarver is like, the entire book for me :D Okay not quite, but still. Thank you!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!