Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner


This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Book Two of the Starbound series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: December 23, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.

Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.

Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.

Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.

What I Liked:

I read and wrote the review for this book back in June, guys... just a note, in case anyone wants to know anything and I'm shaky on the details!

Despite giving both books the same rating, I liked this book more than I liked the first book! To me, These Broken Stars was great, but nothing SUPERB or amazing (hey, just my honest opinion). I'm not saying this book was, either, but it was definitely more EPIC than book one. Both books are excellent, and I'm so glad that I have had the opportunity to read both! 

In this book, we follow Lee and Flynn's story. Flynn is the brother of the former leader of the rebel colonists of Avon - the rebel colonists call themselves the Fianna. Flynn wants peace on his anarchy-filled, terraformed planet. Jubilee Chase, on the other hand, is a trodaire - she a one of the military personnel sent to the put down rebellions in Avon and restore peace. As the power struggle for Avon continues, Lee and Flynn finds themselves unable to see which side is right and which is wrong. 

The biggest thing that I liked about this book compared to book one was that this book is set in such a grander scale than book one. Book one deals with Tarver and Lilac and the aftermath of the shipwreck on a mysterious planet. While there are major things that could possibly affect the entire universe (LaRoux Industries), it seemed like These Broken Stars was really all about Tarver and Lilac. The story was very slow, and filled with survival. I love the rawness of Tarver and Lilac's fight to live, to stay sane... but I wanted to know the grand scheme of things. We only really get to that at the very end of the book.

In this book, the story is so much more than Flynn and Lee. It's so much more than a potential love story. It's so much more than a kickbutt captain and a stoic rebel struggling to find their place on Avon. I LOVE that this book focuses on Flynn and Lee and their actions, but it's not all about them.

Even with that said, I really like both characters. Flynn is very different from what is marketed as the typical YA hero. He isn't macho and alpha and basically Superman. He's quite handsome, according to Lee, but he's patient, quiet, almost passive. He wants peace on Avon, not war, but he wants the universal governments to stop interfering. He knows something is wrong with his planet, but he has a fierce loyalty towards Avon and his people. I have a lot of respect for Flynn.

Just like in These Broken Stars, I like the hero more than the heroine. Don't get me wrong, I like Lee! I like Lilac! But I like Flynn (and Tarver) more. Lee is deadly, kickbutt, feisty, and quite frankly, cold. But she's human, and she's a girl, not invincible. It was almost funny to watch her wrestle with her feelings towards Flynn. Flynn's feelings for her were more obvious than hers towards him, but I like what Flynn did to Lee. He took her by surprise, and I like how confused he made her.

So... yes, this book does feature a love story. However, it's not as dominant as Tarver and Lilac's. These Broken Stars was alllllllll about the romance. This book was not. Which, honestly, I quite prefer, IN THIS SERIES. I like that this book focused more on the politics, the secrets, the scheming, than the romance. This book's romance seemed impossible, especially with Lee basically pushing Flynn away at every turn. Good on Flynn for not giving up! The romance in this book isn't breathtaking or beautiful, but it is hard-fought and desperate and powerful.

We do get to see a lot of Tarver and Lilac in the second half of this book. I don't think I remember Kaufman and Spooner mentioning Lee's connection to Tarver, so that was really cool to discover! I love the role that Tarver and Lilac play in this book, and I'm really glad that they appeared in this story.

This book is set in a very different world than that of These Broken Stars. The monsters aren't creatures - they are human beings. And the "whispers" or illusions of book one DO appear in this book as well. They're called "wisps" in this book, and yes, we do get a slightly better idea of what they are in this book. Actually, we get to know where they come from and sort of what they are. But truly what they are is not (yet?) revealed. Perhaps in the next book. But some things that I wondered about in book one were cleared up in this book. In case anyone was confused by things in book one. Not Lilac's resurrection though - I'm still a little confused by that. A lot confused, actually.

Anyway. Like I said, I enjoyed this book even more than I enjoyed book one! I loved that this book focused more on the planets and secrets of LaRoux Industries, rather than solely focusing on the romance, THEN the mysteries. I'm really excited for book three!

What I Did Not Like:

I'm still confused about the "whispers"/"wisps"/"illusions"/whatever you want to call them. I feel like we get a little bit of what they are in each book... so maybe we'll finally get the whole truth in book three? If that's the case, great, but I hate being kept in the dark about something that is SO IMPORTANT to each book, and the series in general.

Would I Recommend It:

I highly recommend anyone and everyone read this book and series! If you read the first book - whether you enjoyed it or not - read this one! Personally, I liked this book even more than I liked the first book. So even if you didn't like book one, you might really enjoy this book! And if you haven't started this series, you should do so! Especially before the series goes to the little screen!

Rating:

4 stars. I'm very pleased with this book! I cannot wait to read the next book - set on Corinth! I wonder in what Kaufman and Spooner will take this series. Fun!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

12 comments:

  1. Just a quick peek to see if you liked it. I still have book one on my wish list. Oh, and glad you felt it was even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read and enjoy both books, Sophia!

      Delete
  2. I just skimmed through the review because I don't want to know too much about the book before hand, just very happy to hear you loved this one! =D
    Waiting for my copy to arrive in Jan is gonna be a pain, but at least it'll be a signed copy!
    Thank you for your review Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I hope you love this one, Pili. YOU WILL!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I am a bit bummed to know we don't learn more about those "things" but your right Im hoping book 3 will wrap it up.mi also am thrilled to get to revisit my old fav Lilac & Tarver, they're journey was pretty gut wrenching so it will be nice to see where they are now. Thanks for this.
    ❤️Britt @ pleasefeedthebookworm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for the same! And yeah, Lilac and Tarver are my favorite.

      You're very welcome!

      Delete
  4. I am very glad to hear this one doesn't put the romance at the forefront and that it's faster with more going on. Those were my biggest issues with These Broken Stars, which was a pain because the writing was pretty good. I am definitely looking forward to this one much more now. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, then I'm really glad I mentioned these things! :D I hope you enjoy the book, Kel. Thank YOU!

      Delete
  5. I've seen this book around a lot! But I'm a bit hesitant about starting this series! Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot soon! Nice review :)
    Book Maniac Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay :D Amazing review Alyssa. <3 I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. Heh, book one was a three star for me.. so you saying this one is better makes me so happy :D I have the eARC, so hoping to read it soon. <3 thank you for sharing about it sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this one more too, Carina! Or at least, I hope. Thank YOU!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!