Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West


The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend— two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party — three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.

What I Liked:

Oh guys. Kasie West does it again. Her contemporary is out of this world, people. This book is so sweet, so enjoyable, and yet, so powerful. Reading the summary, you'd think it's just about Gia and her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend/fill-in boyfriends. But there are other issues at hand, and in classic Kasie West fashion, this book is filled with heartwarming romance, developed characters, friendships, relationships, and a significant issue in today's society - especially among young people.

Gia's boyfriend breaks up with her right outside senior prom, just before they would enter. Bradley is a junior in college, and Gia's friends don't believe he really exists. So when Bradley breaks up with her, she's devastated... but mostly because now she doesn't have a boyfriend to show off. She grabs a random guy who dropped off his sister at prom, and together, they pose as a couple, and then break up at prom. But Gia finds that she misses her fill-in boyfriend, after the prom fiasco. But everyone thinks he's Bradley, and the real Bradley regrets breaking up with her. Gia has a mess that she didn't expect in her perfect, ordered life, and she doesn't know what she wants anymore.

Believe it or not, Gia is the archetype of a Mean Girl, a Plastic. She's the queen bee, head of her pack, student council president, most popular girl in her class - how about school. One of her friends, Jules, is a total Regina George (I'll keep going with the Mean Girls references!), a terrible person, in my opinion. That girl is truly the mean one, but Gia goes along with what Jules does, because Jules will take away the rest of their friends from Gia, and Gia doesn't want that. There can't be two queen bees, that sort of thing.

All that being said, as I was reading this book, I didn't think I would like Gia! She's shallow, conceited, not necessarily cruel, but clueless. She's a lot like a lot of girls I know... glued to her phone, constantly checking how many likes, retweets, comments, etc. her social media posts are getting. She's not malicious, but she isn't nice to everyone. And so when her fill-in boyfriend's sister (who goes to Gia's school) sees them at prom, the sister (Bec) puts her foot down. Gia never acknowledged Bec's existence before, and Gia's friends were mean to Nate (Bec's friend), so Bec doesn't want Gia anywhere near Hayden (the fill-in boyfriend). Understandable!

But Gia undergoes a lot of character development in this book. Being broken up with (instead of doing the breaking up) changed her. Gia FEELS shallow, and her relationships with her friends strains after prom. Gia finds herself hanging more around Bec, who doesn't even like her. Gia's brother comes home from college and doesn't spend time with her. Gia is sad about the whole situation, but she grows up a lot. 

Gia and Hayden see each other much more throughout the book. As it turns out, Hayden has an ex-girlfriend that he wants back. Bec manipulates the situation and has Hayden take Gia to his ex-girlfriend's graduation party. And then Hayden and Gia hang out again and again, including going to a play or going to his house or throwing baseballs at old cars. The more time Gia spends with Hayden, the more she realizes how much she likes him... which is hard for her. Hard for him as well, because he doesn't trust anyone, after his ex-girlfriend and his best friend went behind his back.

I like Hayden a lot. He is sweet, loyal, and a tiny bit protective. He agreed to be Gia's fill-in boyfriend, and played the role beautifully. I think he's a college student, taking classes for acting. I'm not a hundred percent sure on that though. Hayden isn't overly macho or manly, but he is right amount of masculine and sensitive and dreamy. 

The romance is so sweet! I wouldn't say that there is a ton of steam and chemistry sizzling all over the place, but Gia and Hayden certainly hit it off, right from the start. More importantly, they fall for each other slowly but surely. It takes some time for each to trust each other, for various reasons. I mean, they ARE using each other to fill roles to make exes jealous. I like the romance a lot. Kasie West sure knows how to build a romance without nasty things like insta-love, insta-lust, love triangles, etc. NO love triangle, guys! I know it might seem like there should be one, especially given the summary, but I promise you, no love triangle!

There is so much more to this book than just the romance. Gia's relationships with her friends are significant - Gia and her friend Claire are to be roommates at UCLA (where Bradley, and Gia's brother, attend college). Gia and Jules, on the other hand, don't get along at all. The friendships take hit after hit, and the girls break apart and band together, like a cycle. Gia becomes closer with Bec, who seems less shallow than Gia's current friends. There is also Gia's relationship with her parents (weird relationship), and with her brother. Family and friends are just as important as Gia's relationship with Hayden! 

There is also a universal theme in this book that I think is pretty crucial, especially in today's society. Gia is mocked by someone important to her for her obsessive use of social media. She is very angry and upset and heartbroken by the person's words against her, but she knows that everything was true. This is such a problem today - the social media, the need for attention, and validation. I'm so glad Kasie West incorporated this theme in the book. It was a really big part of the story, so I was happy to see it.

Overall, I am so happy with this book! I don't know if I have a favorite Kasie West book because I've loved all five of her published ones to date!

What I Did Not Like:

I don't think I had too many dislikes... perhaps I wanted a little more physical romance, but I'm starting to see that that isn't really West's style. Which is totally fine, because the stories don't NEED that, but I wouldn't mind a more physical side to the relationships. Anyway, that's it.

Would I Recommend It:


I would absolutely recommend this book. Contemporary fan or no (remember, I'm not the biggest contemporary fan), you should give this one a shot. It's light but not overly fluffy, and there are a lot of significant themes about love, relationships, family, and social media. Totally worth the read. I wonder if there will be companion novels... I could see Bec and Nate getting their own book! Perhaps Spencer too. Spencer would make an interesting antihero. 

Rating:

4.5 stars -> rounded down to 4 stars (no reason in particular, just how I feel). I think Kasie West is an amazing contemporary writer! Her paranormal books were good, but her contemporary novels are out-of-this-world awesome. More, please and thank you!



Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

33 comments:

  1. Glad you like it! This book is one of my most anticipated books in 2015, so I'll be disappointed if it's not good.
    Anyway, this book is not like what I thought. For example, I didn't expect that Gia is some kind of queen bee! Nevertheless, it's still Kasie West's book, and I will read anything by her :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed at all, Tiffany! I almost guarantee it :D And I felt the need to point that out, because Gia is a different kind of protagonist! We don't always get to see a story about a "popular Mean-Girls-esque" heroine. So I thought it was interesting how Kasie West spun this story about Gia, a supposedly shallow and clueless popular queen bee.

      Trust me, you'll like this one! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! I really enjoyed The Distance Between Us but was slightly disappointed with On the Fence so I'm hoping I enjoy this one.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed! Hopefully this one does not disappoint.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Great review Alyssa. <3 I'm so glad you liked this book a whole lot :D I do think it looks so cute. But not my kind of plot :( Sad face. But I am curious about it ;p But aw, not much physical relationship? I am not pleased. Hmph. Every romance needs to get more physical, lol ;) Anyway. Glad you loved it :D Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carina! And I know what you mean - that's why I need an adult romance novel every now and then ;)

      Thanks! Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to hear you liked this one! Kasie West writes some fantastic contemporary romance and I'm really excited for this one :) I didn't realise Gina was a "Queen Bee" type of girl. Usually that annoys me but I don't think it will keep me from reading it. It's also nice to see a character develop a lot throughout the book. Hayden sounds like someone I will most definitely like :) Awesome review, Alyssa!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone knew/knows! You have to start the book to find out, which is why I included that information in my review. Informed readers are generally happier readers, and I don't consider that information spoilery.

      Thank you, Zareena!

      Delete
  5. Hi review twin! Wonderful review as always! I was really happy to see Kasie West tackle the social media/validation/tech use issue too, but there were a lot of important lessons learned and character growth in this book in general. And of course the romance completely did me in AGAIN. Kasie West is 5 for 5 in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SQUISHY HUGS* Great minds think alike ;D Five for five for me as well!

      Delete
  6. YAY so happy it's another hit!! I was lucky enough to get an ARC and I've been hopping with excitement to read it!! Kasie West is my favourite contemporary author~~ I only skimmed your review (I want everything to be a surprise when I read the story) but thanks for the review Alyssa :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you got your ARC! I hope you love this book when you crack it open.

      Thank you for commenting anyway, Eileen! You rock <3

      Delete
  7. YEEEESSSS!! I have this one preordered because even if I am not the biggest contemporary reader, Kasie West is in my auto-buy list of authors!! =D

    Fantastic review as always Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOT! That she is! I will read anything she writes. *throws piles of money at Kasie* LOL

      Delete
  8. I love that there is more than just the romance on the book and the friendship is a focus. This would be a great one to read this summer!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! YA books need more positive relationships in addition to the negative ones that authors feature. You should give this one a shot, Missie!

      Delete
  9. I loved this one so much! I think this is my favorite Kasie West book! Seriously, her books are always so amazing and the boy in this one had my heart fluttering! :)
    I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait for more Kasie West books!
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYAYAYAYAY! I'm happy to hear this! Hopefully Kasie has many more contemporary novels to come :D

      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Lovely Review!! I have been eyeing this book for a while, I will make sure to check it out soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm determined to squeeze this in this week, I love Kasie West!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG TELL ME WHEN YOU READ IT, NEREYDA!! You will love this one too!

      Delete
  12. I've been meaning to try one of Kasie West's contemporaries since you love them so much...but I wonder if this is the right one. Even though Gia undergoes major character development, I can see myself getting very frustrated with her... Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably would, I could see that happening. She's not the Regina George of the crew, but she's still a queen bee Mean Girls type... and I don't like that kind of thing. But she grows up a lot, which is good.

      You're welcome! Thank YOU <3

      Delete
  13. Lovely review, girl! I felt the same about everything - Gia's growth is so so good, especially considering I didn't like her at first but by the end I totally loved her. The romance is sweet, BUT I did want a *bit* more. The boy is just so nerdy... I kept wanting more of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AGREE ABOUT THE ROMANCE! I liked him though, nerdy is fabulous :D

      Delete
  14. I cannot wait to read it!!! I loved both of her previous contemporaries too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I'm so glad you liked this one! I think Nick is letting me borrow her copy soon,so I can't wait to meet Gia and Hayden! I love the idea of this one and I'm glad there's character development with Gia. She doesn't initially sound like someone I'd like. LOL. I probably will want more physical relationship stuff too, but you're right- it doesn't seem like Kasie's style, which is ok, because her plot and characters totally make her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't really like her at first either. I mean, at the first scene, I felt really bad for her, but I was also side-eyeing her a bit... I hope you love this book when you read it!

      Delete
  16. I've been gawking at this book for months now, ever since I learned it was coming out -- I read On the Fence over the summer and it was perfect! Now I can't wait to get my hands on West's other works, especially this one. I just loved the blurb. I'm glad it's living up to my expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I have a feeling that you will not be disappointed at all :D

      Delete
  17. Can anyone help me with my problem, I really struggle to find the sign post on this book and I would really appreciate it if someone can help 🙂

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!