Guys. GUYS. Welcome to my new, original, very-own feature!
*throws confetti* *sets off fireworks*
I've been thinking about this for over a year. So much contemplation went into this feature - would anyone would be interested? Would I be able to do this consistently? What would happen to my insane review schedule?!
Ultimately, I got a push from several sources, including the LOVELY Nikki Wang. She designed that amazing banner up there. ZOOM IN AND STARE AT THE PRETTY :D
So here is some background about this feature.
- I've always wanted to do something more personalized on this blog. I'm an environmental engineering major, and so it just made SENSE to me, to talk about science, my passion.
- Science is a super broad subject. Which is exciting!
- The idea was swimming around in my head, but someone posted the suggestion during my one-year blogoversary, so that was a sign to actually take the idea seriously!
- To my knowledge, I do not know any other blogger doing a feature like this. HOWEVER, if there is a blogger who does something like this, I hope you won't think I'm plagiarizing or anything! Again, I have yet to see this type of feature, so I wouldn't know.
- On that note, if you want to do something like this, could you email me first? I took a lot of time and effort and mental capacity to bring this feature about (believe it or not).
What is this feature all about?
- Science (obviously).
- More specifically, science in books that I read. I'll take a book (for example, Breathe by Sarah Crossan), and discuss some area of science in that book. In Breathe, the oxygen on Earth has been depleted, due to deforestation and other human impacts. PERFECT SCIENCE DISCUSSION FODDER. Environmental, which is perfect. Catch my drift?
- I'm not limiting this to YA books, but I read mostly YA.
1. How often will you do this feature, Alyssa?
I'm looking at once a month, so I don't collapse under my review pile.
2. Will there be a set day for the feature?
Yes! Sundays are good for me.
3. How will you choose the book you feature?
The book will be something I've read during the time period between each feature. For example, the Science in Fiction feature for the month of February will be a book I have read (or am currently reading) between now and that scheduled feature date in February.
4. Is this a cop-out, so you won't have to write as many reviews?
Nooooo, absolutely not! In fact, the number one reason why I waited over a year to actually launch this feature was my fear of getting behind in reviewing ARCs, because of a new feature. I want to do this feature, but I want to keep being ahead with reviewing. Which is why this feature will be monthly (versus weekly).
5. Can I do this too?
Hmmm, email me first. Since this is kind of a new thing, I'd like to limit this feature to my blog for now. I don't expect the masses to be clamoring to feature science discussions on their blogs anytime soon, but if there is interest in this feature, then maybe I'll make it open to things like a Linky list, like a meme. But for now, err, I'd like to keep this one to myself. Please respect that!
So! I hope you all are as excited as I am! Well, it's okay if I'm the only excited one. I'm one of a tiny percentage of science-based people in the book-blogging community - and one of an even tinier percentage of engineers. So, please excuse me while I let my nerd show and have fun with this :D
Sounds like fun! Definitely looking forward to this :DReplyDelete
YAY! Thank you, Eileen!Delete
I think it is great! I am excited too!ReplyDelete
YAY! I'm glad, Kara :DDelete
Oooooh, this is a brilliant idea!! I love science fiction and I love the idea of discussing the science in books!! Cannot wait to read the first feature and see what book will you be featuring and discussing!!ReplyDelete
I hoped that you would like this, Pili ^_^ I'm glad you do! Thank you so much for the support! <3Delete
I think it's a great idea!! You go girl, and let your nerd show all over the place and have epic fun with it!! I can't wait to see your first post!! ENJOY! :)ReplyDelete
THANK YOU, ALICIA! This comment made me cheese so hard. YOU ROCK =)Delete
Aw, YAY :D You are awesome Alyssa. <3 Sounds like lots of fun :) Cannot wait for your first post. <3 I have wanted to do something more personal on my blog too.. but cannot figure out anything :p Sigh. ONE DAY. Probably :) Thank you for sharing sweetie and best of luck. <3ReplyDelete
Woot! Carina, you are so niceee! Thank you so much! And girl, you do plenty personal on your blog! Cress Tuesday, the collections pictures, you got this!Delete
This is such a great idea! First off, the banner is gorgeous ;) so that's a great start. I would definitely be interested in reading these posts! I'm not a huge science person, although I'm doing chemistry, but learning more about the science behind some of my favourite sci-fi books would be really cool :D Good luck and I can't wait to read the first post!ReplyDelete
Aww, Zareena, thank you so much! Nikki (Fiction Freak) designed the banner (SHE IS FABULOUS), so I have her to thank a thousand times over for that.Delete
I'm glad you're interested! Thank you, girl!
This sounds awesome!!! I'm so glad you're doing this :DReplyDelete
THANK YOU, KAYLA!! I really appreciate it <3 <3Delete
Science is not my strong suit, but it is interesting to me so I'm excited that you're going to discuss its connection to the books you read.ReplyDelete
Oh, and absolutely the banner is nifty.Delete
YAY! I'm so happy to hear this, Sophia! I hope it's informative, and hopefully fun.Delete
And I'm sure Nikki is tickled pink to hear that! She's very talented :D
Very interesting and original, I can't wait to read it Alyssa :)ReplyDelete
YAYAYAY! Thank you, Liza!Delete
This sounds like an awesome feature! My friends and I are really nerdy and we always discuss science / medical stuff in books and movies haha. Definitely looking forward to this!ReplyDelete
(PS. A little random, but have you watched Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson? It's so much science fun!) Oh and my little brother is started engineering at uni in the fall, haha.
YAASSS, NERDY PEEPS :D :D :D :D And I haven't! I'll check it out. And WHAT TYPE OF ENGINEERING OMG AND WHERE??!!? Hehe that's awesome!!Delete
Yes, definitely check it out! It's awesome!Delete
He's going to a school in Canada (where we're from, haha). I have no idea which one though...I think he's thinking of either Mechanical or Electrical?! ...I don't know these things, haha.
Ooo, either one is pretty intense! I'm always happy to hear that someone wants to be an engineer ;) *pokes* LOLDelete
I'm looking forward to the nerd talk! I haven't had a science class in years, but I generally enjoy hearing about it, especially in connection to fictional books and how they used or twisted certain real ideas. :)ReplyDelete
Woot! I'm happy to hear this, Kel! Thank you for the support =)Delete
1) I had no idea that's what you were majoring in! How awesome. Good luck with that, girl.ReplyDelete
2) This sounds like an awesome feature! I can't wait to see the first post. I'm always trying to think of a unique feature for my own blog. This is definitely a good one. :)
1. Teehee! I love my major. Both of them, actually.Delete
2. Thank you! I hope it goes well! First actual feature isn't for a few weeks, but I'm excited!