Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury


The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
Book One of The Sin Eater's Daughter series
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Rating: 2 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?

What I Liked:

Huge case of Alyssa-is-the-black-sheep, with this novel. To be fair, I was really, really excited to read this book, for months. I remember seeing the words "seductive fantasy", and was sold. And of course, the cover is gorgeous. The concept of a touch killing people isn't new, but I haven't read too many books with this concept (Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles features Aric with this ability) - I haven't read the Shatter Me series (soon though!).

Twylla was a commoner - the Sin Eater's daughter - until the royal took her in, because she is Daunen Embodied. She can kill with her touch, she has poison in her blood. She has killed many men, for treason, include her one and only friend. Twylla is a prisoner, engaged to the prince, slave to the queen. When a new guard is hired to protect Twylla, he makes her question who she is - or who she has been told she is. With or without the guard's help, Twylla must realize the danger that lies in the kingdom before the queen destroys everything and takes it all for herself.

I think the beginning of this book started really strongly. I was completely sucked in and wanted to know more about Daunen Embodied, the kingdoms' conflicts, the Sin Eating. I think the world-building is very well done - probably the best thing about this book. And Twylla's initial characterization (her guilt over killing so many people, including her best friend). I think my issues began when the guard - Lief - is introduced. 

What I Did Not Like:

When Dorin - Twylla's guard - falls ill, the queen hires a new guard, a Tregellian (from a neighboring enemy kingdom). I did not like Lief from the start. He is too childish, too stupid, too familiar. He speaks out of turn all the time, and disrespectfully so, to Twylla. I know Tywlla is lonely and kindhearted, but if my NEW, TREGELLIAN guard was speaking to me like that - I wouldn't be put at ease. And then he always apologizes (like an imbecile), and is always in Twylla's personal space. Something about him really irked me (and we find out why, in the end), but something about Twylla letting him do what he wants irritated me too.

Also, tell me why a GUARD serves a lady her food on a tray, or delivers messages, like a common courier. Guards are supposed to be stationed outside one's door, never leaving his post. Instead, it is Lief who is bringing her food, and messages, and entering her room like he owns the place. That's what FEMALE SERVANTS are for... correct me if I'm wrong, but I know enough about medieval history and fantasy to understand this basic concept. 

Okay so I basically hated Lief from the start. Something about his character, his being, is so wrong. I don't understand how others like him so much - he seems like a cartoon character or something, to be honest. Very one-dimensional and childish. He is never a GUARD to me - not once does he have to prove himself as a guard (meaning, not once does he actually perform his guard duties), and he's always "grinning" and "teasing" and "winking" at Twylla. Guard much? No. Aaaand, insta-love. There is that too.

To make matters worse, there is a love triangle. Oh, yes. We already know that Twylla is engaged to the prince (the queen's son and king's stepson). Twylla doesn't really like him (he's the queen's son), but it would seem that he falls for her. Twylla (stupidly) falls for Lief, someone who spouts pretty words and flexes a few muscles, and has her in his lap like nothing. Talk about insta-love, in terms of Lief and Twylla.

There really isn't much "Twylla and Merek" (the prince), because Twylla is so caught up in Lief (why), but it's obvious that the prince won't give up. Good for him. Although, this is one of those cases where I wish Twylla would end up alone. Or die, even. I wouldn't mind. I don't hate her, but a tragic story is fine, too. That won't happen, though. 

After the initial world-building and whatnot in the beginning, my interest tunneled. When Lief was introduced into the story (which is like, forty pages into the book), I was like, here we go. Dumb girl falls for idiot boy, everyone rebel and save the kingdom. Barf.

Here's something else that bothered me: the whole fake-princess-and-evil-queen thing is really grating on my nerves. A common girl is taken in by the royal family and engaged to the prince but then she falls for someone who isn't the prince OMG! This book. Red Queen. A Wicked Thing. All three books coming out in February 2015. All three featuring an evil queen, a commoner-turned-princess, an engagement between that girl and the prince, a love story with the girl and another guy... and a rebellion to rid the kingdom of the tyrant queen (and possibly king).

SO OVERUSED. SO CLICHE. I'M SICK OF ALL OF THAT. Perhaps this is circumstantial. Perhaps not. I'm really sick of those plot arcs though. Can we stop with evil queens and rebellions and twisted love triangles? Thanks.

The story kind of goes downhill after the big reveal, too. First of all, the big reveal is revealed in such a pointless, anticlimactic, thrown-in-there way. Twylla gets mad and paranoid for no reason, and then the big reveal happens. And then I got really REALLY bored, because things about Twylla's power as Daunen Embodied were revealed. I like things as they were, in the premise of the novel. Once other things were revealed, I was like, snooze...

And then things become all about the evil queen being evil and wanting to overthrow the kingdom and marry the prince (her son) to preserve bloodlines. Yep. I was pretty much done by that point.

Would I Recommend It:

Not really. This is a huge case of pretty-cover-lures-all-and-disappoints. At least, for me. There are a bazillion positive reviews on Goodreads, and I know I'm one of the few that didn't enjoy the book, so there's plenty of hope for you yet!

Rating:

2 stars. I'll probably pass on the next book - I'll wait until the synopsis is revealed, and then make that decision. Synopses are important, yo.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

26 comments:

  1. This is a well-written review, and you did a great job of showing why you didn't like it, as well as offering positive feedback. Not easy to do when not liking a book. Kudos! Hugs...www.intheknowwithro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, Ro! That means a lot :)

      Delete
  2. Aww sounds like this book was very frustrating :( I hate it when you can't get behind the love interest. Instalove is also a big no no. Sorry you couldn't enjoy it more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating indeed! Unfortunately, there were a lot of things to be annoyed with - in my opinion. But that's okay!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear I don't think I'll be coming near this book, like ever. I hate love triangles majority of the time and cliches? Nope. So not my kinda thing.

    Lovely review, Alyssa <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that - but I'm with you, on the love triangle thing. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I always look forward to your reviews since I know I will get strait honesty. I really am getting quit tired of the fake princess bit as well, hence my need to read some Contemps instead of fantasy. This review was great but I will still read it, just temper my high hopes. Thanks love!
    ❤️Britt
    Hope all is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! You are awesome! And this is true - I love fantasy, but that trope is getting old really quickly. I hope you like it more than I did, if/when you read it, Britt!

      Delete
  5. Oigh, I'm so sorry to hear you didn't like this one at all... =(
    I hope I'll enjoy it a bit more!
    Great honest review as always Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can't love them all, but if you email me-literarychameleon@gmail.com, I'll help you find a book you like :) I hope to see you around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious as to how you think you'll achieve that.

      Delete
  7. Awww that's disappointing to hear. This looked really interesting. I'll probably still eventually give it a shot though. Just maybe not right away. (And UGH love triangles). Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! A lot of people loved this one! So it could just be me. You're very welcome - and thank YOU!

      Delete
  8. Oh man. I thought I was the only one noticing the overabundance of that plot line in 2015 books. There are more plotlines to be had that don't have to be so repetitive as this one. I am so sick of the evil queen, too, and the love triangles, and the rebellions. I'd love for something else to be so substantial in YA fantasies. I don't think that's too much to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?!?!? Ahhhh! I haaaaaaaaaatttttttteeeeeeeeee it right now. I mean, here and there, it's okay... but three in a row, jeez. I love fantasy, but like you said, there are more substantial parts to fantasy literature.

      Delete
  9. awww! I loved this book oh so much. So sorry it didn't hit you right. I've actually seen only 2 reviews so far and both were 2 stars and very negative. I think I'll end up being the black sheep for loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved it - you're definitely NOT the black sheep, check Goodreads lol

      Delete
  10. NOOOO. Sad face. I'm so sad you didn't like this book sweetie :( Heartbreak. But I also know I will have issues with it too. Now I think my issues will be bigger than I thought at first, lol. The guard sounds awful, and I'm not sure I would like the romance either :( And of course, the prince just HAS to fall in love with her as well. Isn't that just typical. And yess. I'm sick of this plot line too, it seems so used these days. Sigh. I haaate triangles. Damn them. Damn this book. Glad I only pre-ordered the International paperback, and not the expensive hardcover, lol :) I will try this book, but now less happy about it :p But so glad I know. Thank you for sharing about it Alyssa. <3 You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though! Love triangles suck. I hope you enjoy it more than I did... hopefully... maybe...

      Delete
  11. Nooooooo i was so looking forward to reading this ........ come on that cover ...... maybe later i suppose...... i do want to read it but maybe later.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you will love it though! I've seen so many positive reviews.

      Delete
  12. Bummer, I was looking forward to this one :( Love triangles and cliches make me sad. I did love Red Queen though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! You should still read it, Liza. I liked Red Queen too! Perhaps it was the accumulation of such similar stories... it started with Red Queen though, so maybe that's why I liked Red Queen a lot more than I liked this one. Or maybe there never was a comparison. ANYWAY!

      Delete
  13. Ouch. I saw a lot of people raving about this cover. Neither it nor the synopsis particularly appealed to me, for which I am now very glad. Thanks for the warning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is wonderful! The inside - for me - not so much. Happy reading, Kel!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!