Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis


Not A Drop To Drink by Mindy McGinnis
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it…

What I Liked:

As you can tell from my rating, I'm right in the middle, with this book. I don't know what to think about it. I don't have a solid opinion (yet), so I'm going with three stars. On the one hand, I guess I liked the story at least a little, because I read it and finished it without too much trouble. On the other hand, I'm feeling a bit apathetic, which is never a great feeling.

Lynn and her mother are out in the wild, living alone (together, but alone), guarding their pond. Water is scarce, fresh water is basically unheard of, and any source is as good as any. The pond is precious, and Lynn and her mother will do anything - even kill - to keep the pond from others. Strangers arrive by the stream. Changes are afoot. This is Lynn's story of survival, as well as the story of survival of others.

One thing that I can tell you know is that I really liked how McGinnis killed off characters left and right. I mean, it's a post-apocalyptic survival novel, so would you expect any less? But it took me aback, because many times in YA literature, authors are afraid to kill off characters, because they don't want to upset their audience. Yeah, whatever. McGinnis axed so many characters. I liked that.

That really stood out to me. Otherwise, this book was kind of meh. I guess I liked it, but it's one of those books that is just sort of there. It didn't jump out and grab me by the nose, but it didn't make me feel like I should strangle something with my bare hands.

The plot was meh (see below), the cadence of the book was meh (see below), even the romance was meh. I guess I liked the romance a bit, because it wasn't overwhelming. At the same time, it was barely even there. I feel like Lynn and the guy barely had any scenes together, until the last major part of the book, and of course, that's when many things change. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what else to say. The ending was meh. I honestly was not invested enough to get upset or delighted or whatever I should have been feeling (like a normal person). This could be just me!

What I Did Not Like:

My overall feeling is apathy, so I don't really know what to say here either. I wasn't the biggest fan of the plot. It kind of just meandered along, and I wasn't really sure to expect from the climax and ending. Like, I was almost to the end, and I was like, what could McGinnis possibly do to actually have a climax in this book? I was confused. I guess the plot was more of a narration than Freytag's Pyramid, which is... okay, but not interesting, for this type of book. Yes, it's a survival story. But it's a story. It should have a plot. And climax. In my opinion.

The feel (mood) or cadence of the story was also very meandering-like. In music (I play the piano), I would call the tempo of this book "andante" - very much like walking speed. Things happened very slowly, and when actual things happened (besides Lynn killing people at her house), they happened in a way that you could probably miss them if you weren't reading carefully. And then you'd be like, who's this person? When was she introduced? Why is that person catching grasshoppers?

As far as survival stories go, this one isn't my favorite. It's an interesting take on a very significant topic (scarcity of water resources), and as an environmental engineer, I approve of the use of a major environmental issue in a YA novel. But the survival aspect of the story didn't really appeal to me.

Honestly, neither did any of the characters. I really did not connect with any of the characters - and if I *might* have, there was a good chance that McGinnis would kill them, so in the back of my head, I probably told myself not to get attached. But in all seriousness, I didn't really connect with Lynn or anyone else. Which is too bad.

The romance, eh. It wasn't really there, in my opinion. I liked and disliked this. On the one hand, at least the romance didn't take over the novel. On the other hand, I feel like Lynn and the guy barely connected. They weren't even together, like, in the same scenes, for a good part of the book!

The ending - see above. I'm very meh about the ending. Like, by then, I really didn't care.

Would I Recommend It:

Uhm. Yes and no. Yes, in that maybe you'll actually feel something towards this book, unlike me. It could have been circumstantial - maybe it wasn't the right time for me to read it, or I wasn't in the mood, but honestly, I highly doubt that. So, at the same time, not really (would I recommend it). My goal is to read all of the Friday the Thirteeners books, and this is one of them, so there's that.

Rating:

3 stars. Eh. Meh. Could have been better. Could have been worse.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

22 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of similar things about this series, it's good but not great. I personally find survival stories can be a bit slow if not written well, and that just frustrates me. I do like that the author was brave enough to kill of characters though. It's something that I loved about JK Rowling, even though people hated that she killed off so many characters, I personally felt it made the story more believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, that's what I'd been hearing as well, since last year around this time (or maybe a little later). That's why I held off for so long, to read this one. McGinnis definitely made that part of the book seem raw and believable! I just wish I cared a little more about the story :\

      Thank you for commenting, Amy!

      Delete
  2. It's hard when you can't connect with a story. I had my eye on this one b/c I love the survival/post-apocalyptic stuff with all the gritty worldbuilding and tension. With these types, the romance is secondary for me. I'm still intrigued by the premise so I'll probably give it a go at some point. Thanks for sharing, Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enjoy books like this as well, but I really could not get into the story. I like a secondary romance as well, but I also like a PRESENT romance (not a half-done romance). Hope you enjoy it more than I did!

      Delete
  3. Eh, I'm rarely a fan of books that I pretty much read for the sake of reading. I've seen mixed reviews for it, but if the plot is meh, I doubt it will work for me. Good to know she isn't afraid to ax characters, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's an interesting way of looking at things! I know what you mean though. And yes, this author is fearless, in that regard!

      Delete
  4. I feel exactly the same way you do, Alyssa! I'm always puzzled when I read a five star review of this book. I just couldn't connect to it. My main issue was that some of the world building just didn't make sense. Why were they so worried about water when that one guy (sorry, can't remember his name) has the talent to divine water and find underground sources? Plus there's a river nearby! Why was everyone in such a panic about water? Yeah, me too, meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'm glad I'm not alone! And YES! Stubs and his ability to find wells! Which reminded me of The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell, by the way ;) And the stream, yes. There seems to be sources of water (even if it's not clean), so there's that.

      Meh.

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of this. I always think during my long and hot showers 'what if I had to limit my shower time?' It would suck!
    I have a copy of this and still want to read it. LOVE the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WOULD suck! I hope you enjoy this one, Nereyda. And I agree - the cover is pretty great!

      Delete
  6. I'm torn on whether or not I want to read this, but the survival thing would probably bother me, too. Dystopians and similar stories to that are have to be perfectly on point for me to really like it, and it's super hard. Sorry this one was meh for you, but great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also pretty particular with my dystopia and post-apocalyptic reads. Thank you so much, Eileen!

      Delete
  7. Great review Alyssa see you and another book blog who I trust the most give this a three stars too and I trust you both the most because I got a lot of books you both recommend highly and I just love them all and I have a feeling this one might not be my cup of tea I seen a lot of mix review about it also I probably might take it out in the library to see if I like it or not! thanks for sharing Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you for trusting me! I'm happy to make your reading decisions slightly easier ;) If you read it, I hope you enjoy it though! Thank YOU for commenting, Katiria.

      Delete
  8. I have been looking forward to this one for a really long time. There is something about it that screams unique, and that is always a good thing. I hate that you were apathetic towards it. I still want to read it, and test it out for myself, but I will have some warnings in my head so maybe if I don't enjoy it like I have been expecting to, the disappointment won't be so bitter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely encourage you to read it! I know I'd been waiting to read it for quite some time, and after I saw mixed reviews, I still knew that I would read this book. I really do hope that you enjoy this book more than I did, Jaime! It's likely :)

      Delete
  9. Great review sweetie. <3 thank you for sharing and being honest. I ended up rating this with two stars.. I just thought it was waaaay too boring than what I wanted. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I'm sorry that you weren't fond of this book! I know what you mean though. Thank YOU, Carina!

      Delete
  10. I've had this one on my TBR list for a while, and I still want to give it a go; but I'll probably wait until I'm in the mood for a slower story, just in case. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy then, Kel! If you were looking forward to reading it before, then still go for it! But yes, prepare yourself mentally. You're very welcome!

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear you didn't like this one more, Alyssa, it was one of my 5 star reads of last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was unfortunate, but I did sort of enjoy it. I'm glad that you loved it so much!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!