Friday, February 7, 2014

Review: Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer


Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer
Book 2.5 of the Elemental series
Publisher: K Teen
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.

What I Liked:

This will be a rather short review, because I'm reviewing a novella, and the novella itself is pretty short.

I feel so bad because I've had an eARC of this one for MONTHS now - nearly a year, to be honest. My bad, K Teen! Forgive me, please! I really enjoyed the novella, if that helps!

I think this novella is well-placed. It comes between books two and three. Book four is the full-length novella featuring Nick and his story. So, it's kind of cool to get to see what Nick is all about, before his book comes out. I've already read and reviewed Secret, but I still totally appreciate the purpose and timing of this novella.


This novella is a novella - therefore, it is very short. So, I'm not going to summarize the story. But I like the pacing of the novella, because Kemmerer does manage to fit in a story with a plot and a climax into this short story. She keeps readers interested with several key events, and even integrates a bit of character development in the story.

Nick is so confused about himself, and that is evident in this novella. His whole life, he seems to have had things figured out. In reality, nothing is concrete with Nick. His academics, his social life, his familial life, his being... he doesn't have everything mapped out for himself.

You have to feel for Nick. He always appears to be the one that's totally put-together, but in reality, he's confused. He needs to get away, to get out. Once again, Kemmerer has worked her magic, and she has successfully made readers FEEL. Love!

What I Did Not Like:

There wasn't anything I didn't like. This just wasn't a 5-star read for me. An awesome novella for sure though!

Would I Recommend It:

As with most novellas, this one is not necessary to read, to understand the rest of the series. In fact, each full-length novel in this series acts as a companion novel in the series. So, you could read any of the books or novellas without having to read any of the others.

That being said, I still think fans of this series, or new readers of this series should read this novella. It gives so much perspective, in terms of Nick and his quiet, private nature. And if you have not read Secret yet, you'll know that any peek at Nick's personal life is a gift, because he doesn't reveal much.

Rating:

4 stars. A wonderful novella! Short, sweet, and to the point. Nick's point of view is exactly what I thought it would be!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

7 comments:

  1. glad you liked this one! I still need to read past the first book Storm, but this one has come highly recommended and Nick sounds like a great character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is such a great one! Storm was my favorite, but the others are not far behind!

      Delete
  2. Awesome Review Alyssa Yayyy I am so glad and happy you liked this one I totally love this one also but I am way behind in reading the Elemental Series I still have not read Spirit and I just got Secret a couple of weeks ago so I can't wait to read the both of them soon hopefully! thanks for sharing Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, but at least you've read some of the book! I hope you enjoy the series overall!

      Thank you, Katiria <3

      Delete
  3. I love how you did your review. So many different ways to approach reviews. I love seeing everyone's approaches.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved February Edition. I am in the list as #29. My book entry is below.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still seem to have my reservations about this series, but the more reviews I read about the books the more I feel I'll end up reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that! But I seriously love this series, if that counts for anything. Hope you read the books!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!