Friday, April 21, 2017

Review: Highland Hellion by Mary Wine


Highland Hellion by Mary Wine
Book Three of the Highland Weddings series
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: June 6, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

KATHERINE CAREW
Illegitimate daughter of an English earl... Abducted to Scotland at age 14... No family, no reputation... No rules

ROLFE MCTAVISH
Heir to an honorable Highland laird... Can't believe how well tomboy Kate can fight... About to learn how much of a woman she really is

Scotland is seething with plots, the vengeful Gordons are spoiling for a fight, and the neighboring clans are at each other's throats. All it takes is a passionate hellion with a penchant for reckless adventure to ignite the Highlands once more.

What I Liked:

I really enjoyed Highland Spitfire and Highland Vixen, the first two books in this series and the first two Mary Wine books that I've read. So far this series has yet to disappoint me! While I freely admit that I liked but didn't not enjoy Highland Vixen as much as I'd liked Highland Spitfire, I can safely say that I liked Highland Hellion a great deal, possibly as much as I'd liked Highland Spitfire.

In Highland Vixen, we met fourteen-year-old Katherine Carew, bastard daughter of an English earl, who Marcus MacPherson saved from arranged marriage. Six years later, Katherine is a woman now - but she is a woman who knows how to wield a weapon and handle herself against a man. Unfortunately this leads her to a bit of trouble, but it also leads her to Rolfe McTavish. Rolfe saves Katherine but he isn't going to let her go - not when he wants to protect her, teach her a little lesson in Highlander etiquette, and, well, he wants her in general. A stubborn, reckless English girl and an honorable, protective Highlander will take the Highlands - and England - by storm.

At first I wasn't sure if I would Katherine, because she seemed almost too headstrong. She has had too many freedoms granted, in which she knows nothing about running a home or raising children, but she knows more than enough about standing someone with a dagger or fighting them off. In the beginning, Katherine is excessively reckless, almost stupid, and very selfish. But she begins to see the error in her ways, and how set in her ways she has become. She sees how selfish she has been, and how easy she had it. I love that the author made her headstrong, fierce, and stubborn, but eventually, smart enough to recognize when she was wrong. 

Rolfe! Rolfe is a sweetheart, and a little different compared to the other heroes of this story. You can see how similar the ladies are - they are all stubborn and tough. But Rolfe is a little different from the other men. Yes, he is an alpha and he is protective, big, muscular, handsome, attractive, and commanding. But Rolfe is also very honorable, and follows a strict code of honor. He refuses to do anything that would dishonor his father, his clan, and his reputation. Rolfe is a good, good man, and he does right by Katherine every single time. He is all kinds of swoony, and not just physically!

I like this unlikely pair! The stubborn, tomboy-ish girl, and the honorable, duty-bound warrior. One is reckless and impulsive, the other is more stoic and occasionally wicked. It's almost an opposites attract romance (pretty much, it is)! From the start, Rolfe and Katherine have a great connection.

The romance is very sexy and swoony and delightful! Like the previous two books, the chemistry hits hard from the start, but unlike the previous two books, the sexy times erupt a little earlier (though not super early - just earlier than in the first two books). I liked this change in pace! Sometimes the romance in books one and two were frustrating, because you kept waiting for the characters to get it on. Rolfe and Katherine fall in lust very quickly, but falling in love takes a little more time. One thing that surprised me was Katherine's nature in the bedroom - I liked that both characters preferred things a little rough. You don't always see that type of chemistry in historical romance. 

The story was very engaging and sometimes a little tense. Katherine is captured by the Gordons, then rescued by the McTavishes, but Rolfe has plans that don't involve depositing her to the MacPhersons. But then Rolfe's father decides that he also has plans for Katherine, and so Katherine and Rolfe are back on the road, to England. It's a busy, busy story! An entertaining one, at that. I love how the author has so many Scottish clans interacting (either fighting, or calling temporary truces but still stealing each other's cattle). Part of the story is about bringing peace to Scotland and having the clans cease their warring, and so far, the author is moving that plot along really nicely.

I really enjoyed this third book in the series, despite being slightly wary of Katherine (from the beginning of this book - but that changed)! From book two, I expected her to be paired with a different love interest (her best friend, but he is not interested in her at all), but he isn't even in this book. I must say, Rolfe redeemed himself wonderfully, and I adored him. This book was great!

What I Did Not Like:

I can't think of anything specific that I didn't like. Maybe one small detail - calling those in the Lowlands "barbarians"? I always hate when the term is "barbarians", in any context.

Would I Recommend It:

If you historical romance, especially Scottish/Highlander romance, you should give this book a chance! The series in general (though maybe Highland Spitfire and/or Highland Hellion - you can probably skip Highland Vixen, though it definitely is good too). This is a really fun and sexy Highlander romance series that I've enjoyed so far!

Rating:

4 stars. I can't wait to read Highland Flame! We meet the hero of that book in this one - Diocail Gordon - and he is PERFECT. So swoony! I am so excited. Will I like him more than I liked Bhaic? Rolfe? We'll see!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

15 comments:

  1. Now that is what I like to see if an author writes a stubborn impetuous heroine- growth and maturity coming along. They both sound good together and it all sounds exciting. I've read a medieval story by her and that heroine sounds a bit like Katherine. I liked it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly haven't read anything from the author and a story that is the same as this one, but dang! Katherine sounds like a heroine that I would absolutely like. I'll definitely checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read one Mary Wine I think and it didn't really work out for me. But this series sounds really fun, I really should give her another go. Yay for unlikely pairs! And I love seeing secondary characters get their HEA! Hope book 3 is amazing. Lovely review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series or anything by this author, but this one does sound interesting. I like that the headstrong character was eventually able to look back and see the error in her ways. I also like that the author kept the story moving. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a while since I read a really good historical romance. I may have to check this one out. I would probably want to start with the first book in the series tho! Great review, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good! I would mostly likely really enjoy this book. Gotta love highlanders! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really great series. I love Highlander romances but haven't tried Mary Wine yet. I will have to keep this series in mind since it sounds like it is really strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to only read historical romances for adult romances. But I haven't really been able to get into them these days. Glad that you enjoyed this one though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy historical romances, though it's been a while since I've read one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate and Rolfe sound like characterisations gotten SO right. Kate she is totally my hero in this -- she sounds like so much FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to read historical romance for a while. I've even made a list of books I'm planning to read. I'll check this series for next month's TBR reads.
    Awesome review. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not familiar with the author, but based on the blurb and your review I believe I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read a lot of Highland romances but this seems super cute! I'll definitely have to check it out--thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely review Alyssa :D YAY for enjoying this one a lot. <3 Hah, the man's name is a bit special :) I think I like it. Maybe? lol. Not a book for me, but yay for enjoying this series a bunch :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!