Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It

Losing It by Cora Carmack
Book One of the Losing It series
Publication Date: October 12, 2012
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Amazon
 
Summary (from Goodreads):

 
Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.

What I Liked:

My reaction after finish this book: 
 
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, this book was so, so good! I'm going to start with the setting. This book is set in a college scene - Bliss is a senior in college, and Garrick is her new, not-so-much-older prfoessor (theater professor, I believe). I like how Ms. Carmack incorporated theater into this book. It was not just about Bliss and Garrick - the underlying plot had to do with the play and Bliss's acting.
 
I loved Bliss and Garrick. Bliss is so awkward and slightly crazy sometimes, but it's adorable and hilarious! Some things that she did, I do not understand. But most of the time, I was laughing so hard at the situations in which she finds herself. And Garrick - he is so YUM! We American girls like British boys wayyy too much! I really like him, though. He seemed like a good match for Bliss throughout; he is intelligent and witty, yet patient and calm.

I liked the flow of this book - the pacing was perfect. The beginning starts off very quickly, and everythnig just goes from there. I think the romance was pretty well-paced, in terms of Bliss and Garrick getting to know each other (we KNOW there was chemistry from the start).

There is sort of a love triangle, but it's not serious. Like, Bliss and Garrick are THE couple of this book. There is no competition, for anyone. But there are minor characters that may contribute to a love triangle. But again, it's not serious, and it didn't go anywhere (you could tell it was not going anywhere); therefore, I am happy.

And just so we're clear - I am in no way endorsing sex before marriage, nor am I not endorsing sex before marriage. I do not think it is absolutely vital to lose one's virginity before the end of college; really, it is all about that person's choices.

What I Did Not Like:

Uhm. There really is not much that I did not like. Bliss's decisions (some of them) were poor at times. But I understand why she did them, and they make sense for her. So it did not bother me.

Would I Recommend It:
 
Yes! I believe this book is considered "New Adult", and it is a contemporary. And it's full of awkwardness and humor. Trust me, not many books can pull off awkwardness and humor like this one did.

Rating:


5 stars - and so worth it! Trust me, you will WANT to read this book at some point!
 
Author Blog | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

20 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I don't read a lot of college settings. I think this may be a good on to start with. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a great opener to New Adult. Try it! And thank YOU :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds very interesting. I've seen the cover a few places but it never really drew me in ... but I think I might have to read this one now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So here is the thing. I Don't like contemporaries. BUT I am really wanting to get into NA because.. well.. i'm 23. And I want to read about characters closer to my age. I also think that the scenario in this story could be something that I will enjoy, in a OMG HAHA kinda way or more lol. I think I will need to go track this down now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should. It's not your typical New Adult or contemporary read. Although, I am on a contemporary roll (not so much a New Adult roll), somy opinion my be biased ;)

      Delete
  4. I've just started seeing reviews on this and it sounds like a definite must for my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I highly doubt you will regret it :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, thanks for your review and enthusiasm! I really want to read this one soon. Looks like fun! I'm one of the last people that still love, love triangles if done well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same reaction when I got finished with this book! I loved it so much and I'm glad someone likes it just as much as I do! I especially like the New Adult genre because I can relate to it more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The New Adult genre is definitely more relatable to me. It's such a great book! ^_^

      Delete
  7. I was on the fence about this on at first, but so many reviewers have loved it, I've added it to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Losing It--that the story gets people so excited and gushy make me want to read it sooner, rather than later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you read it soon! My pleasure, Megan - as long as it helps! :D

      Delete
  8. You are funny. I like your disclaimer. :) I read this book when it came out last fall (I think that's when it was) and I was loving it. They were the perfect couple, like you said, and British boys seem to have some sort of appeal that is just delicious.
    I agree 100% with this review.
    Mimi
    miminbennett(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA, thanks! I'm glad you liked this one! And British guys had better know how yummy them seem to us girls... :D

      Thanks! <3

      Delete
  9. I grabbed a copy of this book awhile back when it was on sale...I have been trying to work on reading it but have been putting it off...Glad you liked it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the best book of the series! I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  10. With this book I entered into the NA world :D
    And I love this book,funny,witty,wonderful read,Cora Carmack writes very,very good :)

    I'm glad enjoyed in reading Alyssa :)

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I think this might have been my first New Adult contemporary romance novel as well... now THAT is something to think about. Or Easy. I really cannot remember.

      But I agree, Cora Carmack has a very distinct writing style! Her books are very humorous :D

      Thank you!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!