Thursday, January 3, 2013

Review: Fire Dance by Delle Jacobs


Fire Dance by Delle Jacobs 
Publisher: Montlake Romance 
Publication Date: August 22, 2007 
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Bought from Amazon 

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

It is hard for me to put in words how much I absolutely love a book, when it happens. There are only a handful of books that I have ever truly loved, and those books are usually ones that are not reviewed by me, because it is hard for me to say how much I love the book without giving away crucial parts of the plot. Nevertheless, this is one of those books, and after re-reading it several times in two days, I can piece together non-spoiler sentences. This book was the last book I read in 2012. 

Summary (from Amazon): 

A mysterious castle. 

A deadly gift. 

A missing, unwilling bride. 

And a Norman knight determined to conquer all. 

Ordered by his King to carry out a cryptic command—kill a wicked sorcerer lord, seize his castle, and take his daughter as a wife—Alain de Crency expects a fierce battle. Instead he discovers a defenseless castle, the daughter missing, and the sorcerer dead, shrouded in a magnificent purple cloak. With no knowledge of the evil lurking within it, Alain takes the cloak as his own before investigating the whereabouts of his supposed betrothed.

Upon Alain’s arrival, Melisande, the sorcerer’s daughter who begrudgingly learned her father’s sinister trade, hides in plain sight as a servant. But Alain suspects this beautiful blonde knows more than she claims, and he resolves to uncover the truth—if he can resist his burning desire for her.

Soon Melisande realizes her father’s infernal magic reaches beyond the grave—and that only Alain can save her people from the menacing evil. But with Alain’s new cloak dyed in poison, can Melisande save her people’s savior without revealing her dark secrets to the man who’s captured her heart?

What I Liked: 

I am going to keep this short – just about everything! I love historical romance, the Medieval Age, fantasy, and a little paranormal. Those characteristics make up one of my favorites genres. So, when I bought this book, I had very high expectations; fortunately, Delle Jacobs delivered. Knights, haunted castles, bloodshed, defiance, magic, lies… this book had it all. 

I was intrigued by Ms. Jacobs’ simple yet complex plot. There were many layers: the pending marriage, taking over the other strongholds, the purple cloak, and Fyren’s deception. Each layer is briefly touched, and then completely expounded upon, yet woven together. 

Also, I liked seeing the growth of Alain and Melisande’s relationship. I like Ms. Jacobs’ twist on medieval men and women; Alain was fierce and courageous, yet gentle and unforceful. Melisande was not a simpering girl, but a brilliant, defiant woman. 

What I Did Not Like: 

This book was predictable. The romance always is, with romance books. The ending of the story could be discerned, as soon as all of the layers are revealed. And while I liked the different take of medieval men and women, I found it strange. 

I was also very, very confused with all of the names of the places and people and the scenery outside of the castle. It was not until the end of the book that I put everything together that it started making sense. I was a little lost while reading it. 

Would I Recommend It: 

Yes. But this is an adult book, so exercise some discretion. 

Rating: 

4 stars. As far as historical romances mixed with fantasy go, this is a good one.

Author Blog | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about this book before. It sounds so fantastic that I'm going to add it to my reading list (and probably near the top!). I'm really happy to see that there's some fantasy/paranormal mixed in with the Medieval. Disappointing that that it was predictable at times, but it still sounds like it's worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is worth the read! I think you should read it - you may really like it! :)

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting to read this books but honestly it's just not my type of book. It's sounds like a good book for what it is but not for me.

    Thanks for the review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! I totally understand! Thank YOU, Jovon!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!