Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

If I Lie

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Copy sent from the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

A powerful debut novel about the gray space between truth and perception.

Quinn’s done the unthinkable: she kissed a guy who is not Carey, her boyfriend. And she got caught. Being branded a cheater would be bad enough, but Quinn is deemed a traitor, and shunned by all of her friends. Because Carey’s not just any guy—he’s serving in Afghanistan and revered by everyone in their small, military town.

Quinn could clear her name, but that would mean revealing secrets that she’s vowed to keep—secrets that aren’t hers to share. And when Carey goes MIA, Quinn must decide how far she’ll go to protect her boyfriend…and her promise.


What I Liked:

I have not read many books dealing with the military (other than Something Like Normal by Trish Doller, which I read AFTER I read this book), so I was not sure what to expect from this book. I have to say, this book pulled at my hearstrings and made me want to cry many, many times (and I am NOT a crier, for movies or books or anyone).

I had a feeling I knew what was wrong with Carey, both physically, and why Quinn had to lie for him. I felt so bad for Quinn, because she went through so many awful things, in order to keep a secret. I really felt bad for Blake, because he did not deserve to not get what he wanted.

This story is so twisted, but in a bittersweet, heartbreaking way. Quinn cannot be happy no matter what she does. Blake cannot get what he wants. Carey cannot get what he wants. It seemed like there was no way that anyone could get any silver lining out of this situation.

I really liked the mutliple plots - of Quinn dealing with Carey's secret, and Quinn dealing with her mother, and Quinn's past being revealed. It made me sad for Quinn, sad for Quinn's father, and sad for Quinn's mother. I just felt bad for everyone, even though, in a way, everyone did something that was bad. I do not know how Ms. Jackson did it, but she wove this story in a way that made me hate and love everyone. I think if I had to really hate anyone, it would be Carey, for asking Quinn to keep that secret. Not because of what the secret was, but because he ruined her life by asking her to keep it.

I liked how the story switched from past to present. This kind of thing is either done very well, or absolutely abysmally. Ms. Jackson did a wonderful job with the switches. It kept me on my toes, to make sure I understood what was going on. And it was an interesting way of revealing Quinn's past and present at the same time.

The ending was very bittersweet, but I think it ended well. It is resolved, but there are some things about the end that not everyone will like. I completely respect Quinn's decisions. Honestly, I may have done the same thing if I were her.

What I Did Not Like:

I said it already, but I really did not like the fact that Carey asked Quinn to keep that secret, and I guess, that Quinn actually kept the secret. That is SO not something that you should ask a person to keep quiet. Obviously, there would be no book if Quinn had not kept the secret. But I still did not like this. Also, I really, really wish Quinn could have, um, had a nice ending with that nice boy, instead of doing what she did. But that's okay, because I completely understand why she did what she did.

Would I Recommend It:

Yes! This book is so bittersweet, but it is so, so good. And sad. And good. It's not a light, quick read, but it's definitely worth the time.

Rating:

4 stars. This contemporary novel is definitely one for the ages!

Author Blog | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

18 comments:

  1. I am a fan of twisted in a bittersweet and heartbreaking way kind of books. Lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I think you wuld like this one :)

      Delete
  2. Thanx for this review.. I m luking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I would not want the twisted life, it sure makes for good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is now a mystery for me. I got to know what that secret is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT!!!!! I don't think you will be disappointed :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm...this review help clear up what the book is truly about. But I'm still on the fence whether or not I should even read it. I'm not a huge fan of the bittersweet stuff. I would rather have excitement, mystery and a clear-cut love interest (or triangle). Guess this is a good book for when you need a good cry, like Charly by Jack Weyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review helped! It makes me happy to hear that someone enjoys my work! :)

      To be honest, I'm not a fan of the bittersweet stuff either, but this book turned out to be better than I expected, bittersweet included.

      The romance.. the romance is pretty defined. There is one MAJOR guy. But things are messy.

      Try it! You might really enjoy it :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not a big fan of cheating, but I can't help but wonder what secret Quinn's keeping. And the fact that you mention that you both love and hate the characters is something I think I'd like.
    I do a lot of that in my own life.

    I will definitely be looking into reading this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with thecheating part - infidelity (married or not) is bad. But I enjoyed this one. If you read it, I hope you like it! ^_^

      Delete
  7. I am so interested in this book thanks to your review, definitely hoping i don't cry well reading this book...Anyway I can't wait to read this, thanks for the honest review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good cry is good sometimes! I hope you enjoy it, Christiane :)

      Delete
  8. This looks really good. I don't read a ton of contemporary books, but you make this one sound like it has quite a bit of depth even though you gave it 4 stars. It sounds like it might be a good one to do a little study of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not read a lot of contemporary novels, but this one is a good one! I recommend it! :D

      Delete
  9. Ooohhh...now I'm really intrigued! Way to write a review that is thorough, but still maintains the mystery of the plot! Thanks for sharing this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad to hear that I've gotten the hang of NOT dishing out spoilers... I'm so tempted sometimes. My pleasure, Megan! :)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!