Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan


The Lovely and the Lost by Page Morgan
Book Two of The Dispossessed series
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: May 13, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ingrid and Gabby survived the Underneath. They saved their brother, Grayson, from a future of dark servitude and exposed a plot to undermine the Alliance. But danger still lurks in the streets of Paris, and the Dispossessed, perched on the city's bridges and rooftops, might not be able to save their human wards this time.

What I Liked:

So, you all know from yesterday's post that I binge-read book one and book two of this series, one on Friday, one on Saturday. So, book one's review went live on Monday, and this book's review is live on Tuesday. I don't usually binge-read books like that, but I think it's a great idea when you have several books in a series, because you are less likely to forget what happened in the previous book. Of course, you're liable to mix up events in books one and two. But I'll take that risk. But anyway. I loved the first book, and I loved this book. 

This book picks up a little after where book two left off. Ingrid has been raining her powers with Monsieur someone (for the life of me, I cannot remember his name), someone of the Alliance. Gabby has been training with Chelle. Luc has been avoiding Ingrid, even though that's basically impossible. There is a new gargoyle, Dimitrie, who is supposed to protect the Waverlys, with Luc. But things are not as they seem. Ingrid and Grayson are still being hunted (especially Ingrid), so much so that it feels like Ingrid against the world. All the while, Nolan's father is thoroughly against Gabby's role in the group. What is happening?!

Just like in book one, there are many things going on at once. Each important character sort of has their own point-of-view in this book, like Ingrid, Grayson, Luc, Gabby, and so on. This adds to the depth of the plot, because every character has a different role in the story, and a different part of the plot. Like the last book, it all comes together in the climax, and then disperses again. I actually really like this structure. Also, you'd think it would be confusing, with multiple subplots, but it's not at all!

Character development is, as usual, excellent. I didn't expect to see a lot of character development in a sequel novel, but the protagonists continue to develop in this book. I really like how Gabby's character is progressing. I liked her in this book, and I like her even more in this book. Ingrid kind of stayed the same, and I actually didn't like some of her actions, but she's cool.

Luc continues to be my favorite character. I feel so bad for him in this book. Nothing is his fault, but everything gets blamed on him. And nothing goes his way. And he's still going on. He's just this poor old gargoyle who shoulders all the blame for everything and doesn't get anything in return. I love his character, his nobleness, his stubborn attitude, HIM.

As far as sequels go, this book does exactly what a sequel should do. It builds on what was given in the first book, and sets up a bigger picture for the third book. The overall series' climax is coming in book three, and this book does a good job of getting readers to the overall series' plot. Some serious sh- um, STUFF, is going to go down in book three!

The romance. I've been avoiding the topic of the romance, because like book one, it's not all that clear-cut. The romance is beautiful and heartbreaking and BEAUTIFUL. I really hope that things work out for Luc and Ingrid in the end... Team Luc for the win!

Overall, this book was great. This SEQUEL was great. No sequel slump for the win! I cannot wait to read book three. This is seriously becoming on of my favorite historical fiction series. It WILL be, if book three is agreeable! Please be agreeable.

What I Did Not Like:

Please, please let the romance go in one direction and one direction only. PLEASEEE.

Would I Recommend It:

YESSSSSS! I loved the first book, and I love this book. If you've read the first book, regardless of whether or not you liked it, READ THIS ONE AS WELL. If you haven't started the series, YOU SHOULD DO THAT. Immediately. Especially if you like historical fiction. 

Rating:

4 stars. What a great sequel! I'm so happy that this book lived up to my mounting expectations and did not disappoint me. I was seriously afraid of certain things not going in a certain direction (being vague on purpose!), but I'm really happy with the way things are shaping up. I hope the third book is amazing! And that certain things work out in certain directions. Hint hint. 


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this series when it is done, your enthusiasm has helped the pretty covers make sure that this one gets read as soon as it is complete

    88dreamers @ Seriesly Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm glad that I could help in some way. Binge-reading the series is a fantastic idea! I hope you love the series!

      Delete
  2. Amazing review sweetie :D BUT SOBS. Do you mean the romance is still not decided by the end of this book? :( HEARTBREAKS. Is there a love triangle, though? Hopes not. I'm hoping to read both books like you did, once I get my pre-ordered copy of this one :) Thank you for sharing. <3 Luc sounds amazing. But so damn heartbreaking. Sniffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a third book! Fear not. Luc is so flipping awesome, and I hope everything works out in the end. I know how you feel, girl, but don't worry! I think Morgan hear the cries of her readers ;)

      Delete
  3. I have skimmed a bit the review, not wanting to spoil myself cause now I feel like I must MUST read this series way sooner than later!!
    YAY for sequels that don't suffer from middle book syndrome and that progress the plot and the characters!
    Thanks for an excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is okay with me, Pili! I hope that you do read and enjoy the books. This sequel was fabulous!

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you liked this sequel! I didn't even know there was one after the first book because I honestly felt like the first book came out just last week. But yay for Page staying consistent with her character development and doesn't end up being the blah middle book while still doing everything that most "middle books" do :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! And LOL it feels really recent that the first book came out, right?! Craziness. I'm glad this sequel does the first book justice! And yeah, for a "middle book", it's a good one!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh. Your comment about you wanting the romance to go in only one direction has me a little worried. Does this have a love triangle? I passionately hate love triangles. >.<

    Anyways, I love how the author continues to develop the characters in the second novel as well. This doesn't seem to be the kind of book that suffers from middle book syndrome, so I'm happy to hear that. But, I'm still worried about the romance.

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm avoiding the use of the phrase "love triangle" because I don't like the term in this case. I personally don't think there is one present in this book, but I can see how there could be. I hate them as well. My Twitter bio ALWAYS features something about love triangle hatred.

      But seriously, this book is AWESOME. It's not a bad sequel at all. Don't worry too much about the romance! Of course, I'm saying that now, but I have no idea how it will turn out in book three D:

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I LOVED THIS SERIES. CORRECTIN: LOVE. The first book was iffy for me, but I just completely LOVED this one! Glad you did toooo <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!