Happy Thursday, fellow book lovers! It's another reread campaign day, this time for The Defiant! Plus, I've got a giveaway for you!
Check out The Defiant!
The Defiant by Lesley Livingston
Book Two of The Valiant series
Publication Date: January 23, 2018
Summary (from Goodreads):
Gladiator Fallon and her warrior sisters must face off against a rival gladiator academy in this lush sequel to the highly anticipated historical fantasy The Valiant.
They call her "Victrix" now. Victory.
But winning the highest honor ever bestowed upon a gladiatrix in Rome has earned Fallon more deadly enemies outside the arena than she ever faced within it. And it is those dearest to Fallon who will pay the price for her success.
Now, Fallon and her warrior sisters are thrust into a vicious conflict with a rival gladiator academy, one that will threaten not only Fallon's heart - and her love for Roman soldier Cai - but the very heart of the Roman Empire.
Check out the series:
About the Author:
Lesley Livingston is the author of Once Every Never, winner of the inaugural Copper Cylinder Award and shortlisted for the CLA Young Adult Book Award and the BC Stellar Book Award. She is also the author of the Wondrous Strange and Starling trilogies. She lives in Toronto.
My Top Five Moments of The Defiant:
(I'm going to cheat a little... instead of moments, I'm going to list five things I loved about this book!)
5. Female friendships. This is a huge part of the series in general. Feminism is so important, in a bold yet subtle way. Fallon and her gal pals are so fierce!
4. Gladiator battles. I'll admit, some of them got pretty gore-y. Just a heads-up!
3. Secondary characters' romance. Elka and Quint! Love love love.
2. Political intrigue. Betrayals abound! I personally love it when books delve deep into politics, so this was pretty cool, especially given the time period.
1. Caius and Fallon. I SHIP THEM SO HARD! The romance in The Valiant was lovely, and the romance in The Defiant is too. (Also, hurray for no love triangle - not that there was one hinted, but it's always nice when none appears at all.) Read a swoon from The Defiant HERE!
Thanks to Penguin Teen, I've got a paperback copy of The Valiant and The Defiant for one lucky winner! This will be open to USA only. Ends on 02/28, 11:59 PM EST. Good luck!