Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Seven-Night Stand by Nicole Helm

Seven-Night Stand

Seven-Night Stand by Nicole Helm
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Publication Date: February 6, 2013
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: This is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Reality TV scout Vivvy Marsh loves her job, but she'll lose it if she doesn’t find a hit. When she’s sent to Kansas to scout a show, it looks like a bust...until she meets sexy pilot, Nate Harrington. His family would make the perfect show to save her career.

Nate can’t deny his attraction to Vivvy, but no way can he let this show take off. The Harrington family is riddled with secrets, and she wants it all out in the open. For the next seven days, he’s going to stop at nothing to keep her out of his family's business, even if it means keeping her distracted in his bedroom.


 What I Liked:

This book was quick and easy to read. There weren't complex emotions or plot twists in this book (which I found good and bad). I finished this book extremely quickly, and was satisfied with the ending. The chemistry between Vivvy and Nate is very obvious, and was fun to see while it lasted. The first half of the book was definitely more entertaining to read. I liked reading this book when I was reading it, and I don't regret reading it, despite the brevity of this section.
What I Did Not Like:

I found the plot a little lacking in some areas. I was bored sometimes, and mildly interested at other times. Not much happens in this book. Vivvy comes to Kansas, she meets a hottie and has family, she goes back, comes again, back and forth. TV deal? No TV deal? Hot romance? No hot romance? It's so on and off all the time, and that just irritated me a lot. I know Vivvy didn't an enormous amount of time in Kansas (hence, Seven-Night Stand), but so much back-and-forth happened in that short amount of time. And yet, it seemed like nothing happened. How frustrating.

I also found the romance to be a little monotonous. I like Nate, and I sort of like Vivvy, and I like them together, but really, it's all lust at first sight. I don't understand how they developed such strong feelings over a week. It takes more time than that! And I get that months went by, and they still thought of each other or whatever. But I really didn't buy it.

The characters lacked depth. Nate had a little, and Vivvy was somewhat fleshed out, but even she was a little two-dimensional. She had problems, like with being in closed spaces, but I really don't understand why. She's cold and stony in her demeanor, but why? I didn't really get an answer for that either. Her psychological problems were not explained, even though we as readers know that they are there.

And that's Vivvy, the character who I thought had some depth. Nate had a little character depth, as we could see how much he did not want the show, and how much he hated his father, but his thoughts were really obscured from the reader most of the time. So, there wasn't much character depth or development on his part either.

The seconday characters were boring. I didn't care about Nate's grandfather very much, despite the fact that he was sick. Or Nate's mother, or his brother, or anyone really. I wanted to, but they were shallowly developed, and I couldn't get a good read off of any of them. The only secondary character that I felt anything towards was Nate's father, and I just wanted to punch him in the face.

Would I Recommend It:

Eh. Maybe. It's a fast read, and I enjoyed it, so if you want something light and quick to read with some romance, this would be a good fit. It's definitely an adult-ish book, but mature teens can handle the content.
Rating:

3 stars. For me, I liked this book, but I probably wouldn't read it again. It's not a memorable romance book, but I enjoyed it when I was reading it.

Author Blog | Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'll keep this in mind, because sometimes I do just want a light, quick read, but I probably won't make this a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the sound of the blurb but think i'll give this one a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably the right one to skip, if any.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!