Sunday, August 18, 2013

Review: Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden


Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Joan Bennet is tired of being a wallflower. Thanks to some deliciously scandalous—and infamous—stories, she has a pretty good idea of what she's missing as a spinster. Is even a short flirtation too much to ask for?

Tristan, Lord Burke, recognizes Joan at once for what she is: trouble. Not only is she his best friend's sister, she always seems to catch him at a disadvantage. The only way he can win an argument is by kissing her senseless. He'd give anything to get her out of her unflattering gowns. But either one of those could cost him his bachelor status, which would be dreadful—wouldn't it?

What I Liked:

Oh, guys, I loved this book so much! I needed something amazing after the last book I read, and historical romance books are always my go-to read because they always end well and have great stories (for the most part). This one was exceptionally great! I don't even know why I liked this one so much - I just did!

Joan is never noticed by anyone. She is getting older, and doesn't have any marriage proposals. She wants romance and love and a good husband - but no one will have her. 

Tristan isn't looking for any of those things, but his best friend's sister has his attention. When she barges in to Douglas's home, without a care for either man's appearance, his interest in her is piqued. They meet again at the ball, where she walks in on him and another woman in a compromising position.

I love Joan and Tristan's relationship! They are like magnets, that can't keep away from each other, and yet, they are always fighting and bickering. Joan doesn't care what she says, because no one will have her, and Tristan doesn't deserve nice words from her. Tristan just wants her to stop talking all the time, and kissing her seems to do the trick. Except, it does other things too...

Joan and Tristan really get to know each other when Douglas heads out of town to check out family properties, leaving Tristan in charge of his house, and Joan. Joan and Douglas's parents leave town, because their mother gets sick, and so their aunt comes to stay with them. The aunt lets Joan and Tristan meet and go out - one particular event that Joan liked was ballooning!

I love Joan's aunt, because she helps Joan find her stride, especially in fashion! Tristan kept telling Joan how her dresses and hairstyles didn't suit her, and Joan would get angry with him. But Joan's aunt lets her explore her own style of dress and hair, while her mother is not there to stop her.

But back to Tristan and Joan. I love the two of them together! They are adorable and mean to each other and by the end of the book, they really care for each other. It takes a bit of convincing on Joan's parents' end, but Tristan and Joan get their happy ending.

What I Did Not Like:

There wasn't much that I didn't like! I just wasn't AS wow-ed by the middle of the book as I was with the beginning and the end. The beginning of the book started really strong, and I was totally sucked in. The middle of the book lagged a bit, though I loved all the interactions between Joan and Tristan. The ending was superb, and I loved it.

Would I Recommend It:

Yes! If you're a historical romance lover, add this one to your TBR list! Lucky for you, it's out in the world! So, get to it! You don't want to miss this one.

Rating:

4 stars. I'm so glad I got to read and review this book! Hopefully anyone who reads this review and then reads the book enjoys it as well!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Love the name Tristan, it is my third son's name. Thanks for the great review. I may have to check this out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, me too. I like when the male's names are a little less hardcore historical. The ones like, "George", or "Charles" are SO BORING.

      You're welcome, Erika!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!