Friday, August 9, 2013

Feature and Follow Friday (#31)


The Feature & Follow is a creative meme that allows bloggers to get to know each other, and gain more followers! It is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

If you would like, it would be great if you followed me via Email, Linky, Bloglovin, or Google+ (all on the right). I have no idea what's going on with GFC, so I'd prefer you follow me in a new manner. Let me know in the comments if you did, leave a link to your blog, and I will comment and follow back! I always do, I promise! Thank you so much!


Q: Back to School time! Create a reading list for the imaginary English Lit class you'll be teaching this semester. 



TMI by Patty Blount - because it's all about what happens when you text someone something or post something on Facebook and things get out of hand. Students NEED to read this book


Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott - just read this one. It's about two people who suffers major losses in life, and come together. It's a story that has a personal meaning to me.


Divergent by Veronica Roth - this book is practically a classic. EVERYONE should read at least this book in the trilogy.


Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke - this book is GORGEOUS. And haunting. And beautiful. And amazing. I would tell people to read this book for the prose alone.


Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller - This book is another contemporary novel that tore at me. There was something about Callie, something so broken. You hated her for wanting to help her mother despite how badly her mother treated her, but you felt for Callie, because she cares so much. This is definitely a story I would want students to read, because it really digs into relationships and trust. And not in the over-commercialized New Adult contemporary romance way (this book isn't New Adult).


Why did I not take the "classics" route, like I see so many other FF hoppers do? Because, as a recently graduated high school student, I KNOW what's in the curriculum, especially for AP and GT students (the smarties). We read books like The Odyssey, The Scarlet Letter, To Kill A Mockingbird, etc., in school. Why would I list books already in schools' curriculum? I listed books that ARE NOT in schools' curriculum, that I think all students should read anyway (in school or out of school).


Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments:

  1. Hopping through. I think I've heard about TMI. Definitely a timely topic.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh goodie! Was afraid everyone was going the classic route!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why go the classics route? We students HAVE TO read classics anyway. Most classics that people have mentioned in this hop are already in the curriculum for high school students.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, great choices. I have THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA on pre-order. I can't believe I missed my chance to read it from Netgalley.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S AMAZING! And I got rejected on NetGalley lol ;)

      Delete
  4. I just read Heartbeat too! I though it was amazing... it is one of those books that impacts you after reading... I can't wait to see your review.

    And, yes, I do believe Divergent is destined to become a classic! And I really, really, really, really want to read TMI. The subject matter is very important nowadays.

    Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SERIOUSLY! It really did! And thanks! TMI is definitely something you want to read :)

      Delete
  5. +JMJ+

    Another book worth reading for the prose alone is Downsiders by Neal Shusterman. Have you tried it? =)

    I'll remember Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea based on your description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! Though it has been recommended to me before. And I hope you read and like it!

      Delete
  6. I went the same route as you, I put books that kids SHOULD read, not ones they already know of! Great list for sure. I'm gonna be checking out TMI, sounds really good!

    Old bloglovin' follower, new twitter!

    My FF + Giveaway!

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I hope you like TMI, if you read it!

      Delete
  7. great pick. I want to read Where the Star Still Shine. Visiting back for FF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is sooooo good! I just reviewed it today and I'm kind of obsessed. Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that book! It's a favorite of all time :D

      Delete
  9. Great list!! I've read Divergent, and all the others are on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love all your choices :) I'm adding a couple to my TBR list: )

    My FF :)


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list. I really want to read Where The Stars Still Shine. Great to hear that you loved it :)
    New follower via Bloglovin
    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lovelovelove it so much! Thank you, Adina!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read some of these. Looks like I have even more books to add to my TBR pile. Nice choices! New Bloglovin follower!
    Check out MY F&F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just keeps growing, and growing, and growing ;)

      Delete
  13. I wanted to read Heartbeat, but I just couldn't do it. I am a big baby when it comes to reading sad books.

    Not a new follower- I am an old stinky one ;)

    The Best Books Ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST! It's not that sad :D

      Oh pshhh, I love you anyway ;)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!