Friday, August 1, 2014

Review: Split Second by Kasie West


Split Second by Kasie West
Book Two of the Pivot Point series
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 11, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC trade (thank you, Stephanie!)

Summary (from Goodreads):

Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too . . . but not without a price.

When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories . . . once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot . . . and a future that could change everything.

What I Liked:

I'm so glad I made the decision to binge-read this series. I usually read post-published books and review them on Fridays. Pili recommended the first book, Pivot Point, and this book to me. I read and review one book a month, recommended by her specifically. Both of these are post-published, so I needed Fridays... it just so worked out that there were two empty Fridays, one in July and one in August, that worked to my advantage! I thought that was a neat tidbit.

This book picks up right where book one left off. Addie is pissed at Duke for deceiving her. She's not too pleased with Laila, either, but Laila is her best friend. Laila has the letter that Addie wrote after her two Searches, but the date (November 14th, I believe) has come and gone. Then Addie decides to spend winter break (six weeks) with her father, Outside. Addie struggles with her surfacing feelings for Duke, and Laila must figure out how to advance her abilities, which isn't easy. She enlists Connor's help - Connor being a loner at school with an unknown ability. But something isn't right, neither on the Outside nor in the Compound - Addie and Laila must get Addie's memories back, to save Trevor - and so much more.

I loved this book! Even more than the first book! I can see why everyone was freaking out about it, at the beginning of the year. This book is split into Laila's and Addie's point-of-view - surprise! I'll talk about this first - usually, I HATE this. I dislike reading from two girls' first-person, alternating perspectives. Usually, I'll really like one girl, and dislike the other. Not so, in this case. I really liked reading from Addie's point-of-view, in the first book. But I REALLY liked reading from both Addie's and Laila's point-of-view, in this book. In fact, I may or may not have liked Laila's better. In the best of ways! Meaning, I didn't dislike Addie's perspective. But Connor... mmmm. I'll get to that. Him. Yumm.

I loved the fast pace of this book. It's fantastic when I'm reading a book and totally enjoying it - not worrying about how much I have left or if I'll be able to finish it before I go to work or grab dinner or go to bed. I was just going, going, going, reading, reading, reading. 

There are two plots to this book, just like there are two perspectives. Addie is staying in the Norm world with her father for winter break. She meets Stephanie, Trevor, and others that she's already "met". She tries not to get too close to Trevor, especially with her being friends with Stephanie (yup, they're friends), and Stephanie trying to get back with Trevor. Of course, Addie had the two Searches Erased, so she doesn't quite remember these people, but they are familiar. Also, technically, they DID see each other at the football game, in the last book. 

Laila, on the other hand, is trying to advance her ability, as the note said. The note that Addie wrote to herself but gave to Laila to give to her on a certain date. Laila opened it and read it, and she needs to advance her ability so she can restore Addie's memories. She goes to Connor, the boy selling illegal Paranormal products, and he takes her to Face, who sells even deadlier and more helpful services. Laila doesn't count on relying on Connor. She doesn't count on needing him... or falling in love with him.

I LOVE how seamless and beautiful the romance is, on both sides. I was rooting for Trevor and Addie in book one, and I was rooting for them in this book. I loved seeing them unconsciously dance around each other. Neither of them know each other, but both are drawn to each other.

And Laila and Connor - okay, I prefer this romance plot to Trevor and Addie's, honestly. Connor is introduced in this book, so the entire romance takes place in this book. However, it is perfectly crafted and developed. Both Connor and Laila are stubborn and secretive, flirtatious and dangerous. Together, sparks fly, and they are a force of their own. I love them together! Connor is... well, yummm. I loved trying to figure him out. And Laila. Both of them are confusing and broken and imperfect. Explosive together.

The ending was very exciting! I was hooked, and couldn't stop reading. At random points, I remember thinking, how is West going to end this book?! Is she going to do this? Is this going to happening? Ahhh!? West is seriously a natural storyteller, as shown in this book. And her others.

I'm so happy that I gave in to peer pressure, and read this book (and series)! This is West book #3 for me... up next is The Distance Between Us

What I Did Not Like:

More Connor? Heh. Also, I know this was on purpose, but I wanted more alone time between Addie and Trevor. Not necessarily in a romantic sense, but so they could know each other better. But in my head, they do this plenty, after the book ends!

Would I Recommend It:

Highly recommended! If you enjoyed Pivot Point, you'll love this one! And maybe you didn't enjoy Pivot Point - you'll like this one a lot! And say you haven't read the first book - what are you waiting for?! If you liked West's contemporary novels, you'll love her paranormal series. Go go go!

Rating:

4 stars. An excellent conclusion novel to a wonderful duology! It took me a little longer than most to get on the Kasie West bandwagon, but I'm there now! The Distance Between Us and The Fill-In Boyfriend, here I come!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

6 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! *does happy dance* SOOOO happy that this duology made you happy and kept you reading and reading!
    I agree, as much as I loved Addie's POV, I thoroughly adored getting Laila's too!!
    YAY for peer pressure!! *grins*

    Also, waaait?? The Fill-In Boyfriend?? Did I miss a Kasie West book?? What the??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm kind of mad at myself for waiting a year and a half to read a book I owned... I'm stupid. Laila is fabulous, I didn't expect to like her *so* much!

      The Fill-In Boyfriend is a 2015 release! I'm hoping the eARC will be posted on Edelweiss, so I'm gearing up for the release (you know how they upload them early) ;D

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. Not just the story line but West's writing. She has such a great grasp on getting her reader into the story. I agree on more Addie and Trevor. I would have liked more, but it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I agree! She has a great and clear writing style, and it's so easy to get lost in her stories. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Brooke! :)

      Delete
  3. Okay...now I'm really curious. You've convinced me. Consider the first book requested from the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Mission accomplished >:) I hope you enjoy these books, Kel!! <3

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!