Sunday, August 10, 2014

Review: Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White


Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: September 9, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.”

Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets Finn, a gorgeous, enigmatic young lord who introduces her to the secret world of Albion’s nobility, a world that has everything Jessamin doesn't—power, money, status…and magic. But Finn has secrets of his own, dangerous secrets that the vicious Lord Downpike will do anything to possess. Unless Jessamin, armed only with her wits and her determination, can stop him.

What I Liked:

Two words: historical fantasy. My two favorite genres put together, making my favorite subgenre! Actually, my favorite subgenre is medieval fantasy, but that's a subgenre of historical fantasy. Ha! Anyway. I had seriously high hopes for this book, and they totally panned out for me! I was disappointed by this book, which is always a plus. And I really, really enjoyed it, which was an even bigger plus!

Jessamin goes to school on Albion, which is a totally different place from her island home of Melei. For one, she has black skin, whereas the people of Albion are pale white. She is shunned, ignored, picked on, tormented, etc. at school. Her estranged father, a professor at the illustrious school, refuses to acknowledge her presence. Life isn't too hot in Albion, but Jessamin is determined to be perfect and a flawless student, so she can be a teacher on Melei.

Everything changes when Jessamin learns about the world of the nobility - in which the nobility all have magical abilities (which is what makes them the nobility). The Minister of Defense, Downpike, has a vendetta against Lord Finley Ackley (Finn), and Finn has a thing for Jessamin. She is caught in the middle, and she will find out just how much her country, her love, and her being means to her.

I absolutely LOVE the world-building of this book. Not just the setting, but the atmosphere of this novel. The setting is so well-written - I can practically see the streets, parks, houses, etc. But it's the atmosphere that took me by surprise. Jessamin feels totally out of sorts in Albion, since she is a "dirty islander rat" to the people of Albion. The other people from Melei treat her like a sister or daughter. Her cousin takes her in since the dorms at the school are too expensive, and he gives her a job at the hotel at which he works. The prejudice and stereotypes are cruel and harsh, but they go both ways. White does an excellent job of portraying the animosity between the two places.

I really like Jessamin. She is a commoner (not royalty), an outsider (from Melei), and she has no idea about the magical world that lies in Albion. Jessamin is curious and feisty, almost waspish, but I love it. She presses and presses until she finds out what she wants, or gets what she wants, but it's not in a selfish way. She has a prickly but likable personality. I certainly enjoyed her interactions with other characters in this book!

Also, how cool is it that Jessamin is a person of color?! She's described as having black skin, I believe. This is actually brought up a few times, as the prejudices also have to do with skin (not just power or location or money). I'm happy to see this diversity, especially in a historical fiction novel! Sort of historical fiction, anyway. It's more fantasy than historical fiction.

I LOVE Finn. Jessamin has nothing on Finn. Finn is devilish and charming, like, ACTUALLY charming. He is a rich, powerful lord - literally powerful, both in influence and in power. His parents were extremely powerful as well, but were murdered, leaving him with a ton of money and titles and property and power. Finn is sweet and roguish and not so forthcoming, yet he bares his soul over and over. Jessamin doesn't accept him at first, for most of the book, and hurts him over and over. I don't blame her as much as I might have, since it makes sense (Finn is a stranger to her, bringing her into a dangerous world), and it fits her personality. However. I would have given him a break ;)

That being said, I liked the romance a lot! I wanted to see more between Finn and Jessamin though. It's totally Jessamin's fault - she wouldn't take a chance on Finn. I don't blame her... but I do... but I don't. I would have trusted him, if only because he is a powerful lord, magically powerful... and handsome. I said "handsome" third, okay?

The plot is very interesting! I wanted to know how Finn would defeat Downpike. I wanted to know if the Hallin magic existed, and where to find it. I wanted to know MORE. I had a bad feeling about certain characters, and that foreshadowing was well-placed. I definitely didn't see the ending coming though - this is fabulously written, by White. What a way to weave a surprising climax and resolution!

I'm very pleased with this book! I'm glad it's a standalone novel, because everything wraps up well. The ending almost killed me (you are warned), but it worked out well in the end. I had questions at the end, but I kind of threw them out of the window because ehhh, things ended well and I'm not going to question certain things too much.

What I Did Not Like:

As I mentioned before - I wanted more from the romance. It's there, and I liked it, but more romance really would have made sense, with the tone of the story. I can't explain it, but it feels like there should have been a powerful, sweeping romance to match up with a powerful, sweeping tale of magic and lords and power. Magic struggle, power struggle, romance struggle, you know? Also, knowing the nature of the charming and lovely Finn... yeah, we needed more. The romance is always THERE... but not quite, physically.

Would I Recommend It:

Um, YEAH! Historical fiction + fantasy elements  = total win! I wanted a little more from the romance, but I'm slowly figuring out that it's just not White's style, it seems. I suppose that's okay.

Rating:

4 stars. Definitely My favorite Kiersten White book yet! I haven't read all of her so-far-published books (nor do I plan to do so), but I will continue to check out her upcoming releases. The Conquerors Saga is definitely high on my list of book priorities!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

14 comments:

  1. OOOh nice review! I admit to being curious about this one! I liked White's first trilogy, didn't care for the first book in her duology and hadn't read anything from her since really! But this one did sound a bit intriguing! Glad to hear it was a great read! Will help me in my decision of whether or not I should read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad to hear that! I also liked her Paranormalcy series, but I did not read her Mind Games series. I liked The Chaos of Stars. I hope you read this one, Jessica! <333

      Delete
  2. Ok, I was quite wondering about this one, and after reading your review I know I NEED to read this one for sure!! And the cover matches the historical bit of the book!
    Gorgeous cover with historical fantasy content and a person of colour main character? Must add this one to my TBR list STAT!
    Thanks for a fantastic review, Alyssa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the book, Pili! Historical fantasy ish with a twist, much love! You're very welcome!

      Delete
  3. I been curious about this one. The cover is just stunning too. I been tossed about the historical fiction aspect though, but I might have to try it when it comes out. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I love it so much! I love historical fiction, and I love fantasy, so it totally worked. Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  4. I might have tears in my eyes, originally because I get so excited when character are named Finn and then you loved him, but then because you said it was a standalone--about which I HAD NO IDEA. This is definitely one of my most anticipated books of the year, so there might also be tears because you really liked it. I don't know at this point. But I want sweeping romance. Weeps.

    Great review Alyssa! It literally brought tears to my eyes. Can't say that often, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAASSS!! I usually love Finn's (and Rowan's, lol). I think it's a standalone? It definitely ended like a standalone. I hope it's a standalone. I ALSO WANTED MORE FROM THE ROMANCE!!

      And omg you honor me...I really appreciate, Rachel, really! <3

      Delete
  5. This actually sounds pretty good! Historical fantasy, standalone, romance that doesn't overwhelm the story? Cool!

    As far as the MC being a person of color, I'm curious; do the Melei have different cultural norms from the Albion-ians(?) or is it mostly a matter of skin color and/or socio-economic status? I confess to not being one of those people who jumps up and down when a character is "of color," or white for that matter; the skin color isn't that big of a deal to me, though I can see how it would play into a historical setting like this. I am interested by cultural diversity. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad to hear (see) you say that! And the Melei are different from the Albion people, not just in skin color. Customs, different, yes. Mannerisms, different, yes. I totally understand what you're saying, Kel. You'll just have to see ;D

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I've been hearing LOTS about this book, and everything has been so positive. I have to admit that I'm bummed there's not more romance - that's always my favorite part - but at least the boy is amazing. :D I read Chaos of Stars recently (also by White) and the heroine had the same habit of pushing away the boy. Hopefully I won't be too annoyed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted more romance too! The romance is THERE, but I wanted more of a physical romance... waahhh lol. I liked The Chaos of Stars, but now that I think about it, the heroines are extremely similar in these books. ALL of White's heroines are...

      Delete
  7. I also really enjoyed this book! I was actually surprised by just how much I liked it. I actually wish it was going to be a series since the world building was so great and there was definitely still things to be explored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad to hear that! And I sort of want the story to keep going, but I like this one as a standalone, honestly.

      Thank you for commenting, Emily!!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!