Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Book Four of the Lux series
Publisher: Entangled Teen 
Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Paperback copy bought

Summary (from Goodreads):

Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything. 

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? 

And will they even be together?

What I Liked:

I waited to read this book on purpose. I read Obsidian, Onyx, and Opal in rapid succession, as each book's release date rolled around, and pre-ordered Origin. But I didn't bother to read the fourth book... yet. Too much hype and anxiety and potential cliffhanger madness to make my head spin and my heart hurt. I'm not stupid. So binge-reading was the answer!

Katy has been taken by the DOD, and Daemon will stop at nothing to get her back. Even if that means turning his back on his Luxen community, his friends, his family... he'll burn down the world for Katy (which he says himself). At the DOD, Katy sees and does things that she never ever wanted to do or see. But she learns deadly truths that will change everything - and she will find that the Luxen, Arum, humans, and hybrids don't have a clue what they're dealing with/up against.

I really enjoyed this book! I knew I would, it was just a matter of reading it. Which I waited to do until the release week of the fifth book. There is a method to my madness! I pre-ordered the fifth book, so that will be reviewed one week from today!

The first book is my favorite and always will be... closely followed by the second book. The third book is great, but I think I liked the fourth book more than the third book. But I loved all four books, giving each book four stars or higher. Armentrout is a natural when it comes to weaving an interesting, attention-holding story. I wasn't worried about finishing in a certain amount of time, or getting through the book. I really enjoyed reading what I was reading while I was reading!

This book is split into Katy and Daemon's point-of-views which is new. I must say, I really enjoyed Daemon's POV more than Katy's, but that's no surprise, since I like Daemon more than I like Katy. I feel like distance is put between readers and Katy, which is totally fine by me. I don't hate Katy - I actually like her - but I was happy for the breaks from her perspective. And Daemon's perspective is totally awesome and necessary! It's amazing to see directly the lengths he wanted to go free Katy. Seeing things from his perspective was really refreshing! And the nature of the story (the two of them being apart) really lent itself to the dual perspectives.

The plot of this book is fast-paced and highly intriguing. It's no longer just about the Luxen and the Arum and the DOD- there are more powerful opponents at play. Although, we'll use the word "opponents" loosely. I love how Armentrout builds up to what will be an epic showdown. Originally, I wasn't happy about Armentrout accepting a contract for two more books (the series was originally just three books), but I can definitely see the logic and worth in this change!

The romance is no longer AS important as it was in the previous books. I've always seen the romance in this series as very primary, but it definitely has taken a backseat since, like, the end of book two. I like this! Katy and Daemon's relationship is less lust-filled, and definitely more solid. Other relationships are solidified in this book, as well as other relationships are created and built.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this book! I am really enjoying this series, and I know that Armentrout won't let us down with book five. Bring it on, Opposition!

What I Did Not Like:

I can't really think of anything that I absolutely did not like! I've enjoyed the series thus far, and I hope to continue doing so with the last book.

Would I Recommend It:

Totally would! If you've read the other three books in the series, then you should definitely keep reading. Origin is probably the most in-depth, complex novel of the four, in terms of the "big picture", which I'm really happy to see. Basically, this book was pretty great!

Rating:

4 stars. Now, with Opposition coming only days away (at the time of me writing this review, not when I posted the review), I am officially ready! I mean, I was ready before reading Origin, but I figured reading Origin would be important, eh? Definitely true.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. YAY! So happy to see you loved this one too! I'm now a bit worried about remembering everything before starting Opposition, but I hope I do remember everything important!
    I agree that it was great to have both Daemon and Katy's POVs! Great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry! You don't need to remember much to start Opposition, just the very ending of Origin. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Huh, I actually don't know anything about this series (besides what I just read in your review). I'm getting a kind of Roswell feel, though. (Anyone else remember that '90's show, or I am getting old?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm. Never watched/heard much about it. I was born in 95 :D

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!