Thursday, April 14, 2016

Review: My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows


My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

For fans of The Princess Bride comes the comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey.

Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger—and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She’s about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong.

What I Liked:

This book was splendid! What a fun story. I can see why people are recommending it if you liked The Princess Bride (which I loved, by the way). This is an alternate telling of the story of Lady Jane Grey, who became Queen of England for nine days. 

This book is told from three people's POVs - King Edward's, Lady Jane's, and Lord Gifford's (call him G). Edward is the teenage king of England, and he's also dying at the moment. So he names his cousin and closest friend Jane his heir, and he also mandates Jane's marriage to Gifford Dudley, second son of Lord Dudley, a powerful duke and adviser to the king. Book-loving Jane has no interest in marrying anyone, especially not a man who can never be found during the day, and is quite popular with the ladies at night (so the rumors say). And G - he doesn't really want to be married either, and his late-night adventures aren't what they seem. But Jane and G find themselves married to each other, and even crazier, they find out that they are pawns in a plot to make Jane the Queen of England. Even worse, there is someone else after Edward's throne...

This story was so funny and enjoyable! I think that is one thing that really sticks out to be, and was really well written - the humor. The book is well over five hundred pages long, but it never felt that long. Some of this is due to the fabulous humor in the book!

I liked G the most, of our three protagonists. G is an Edian, which is a human who can turn into a specific animal. G can turn into a horse, and unfortunately he cannot control the change, and he changes at dawn every day, and back to human again at dusk. G is a second son of a duke, and the duke and duchess have never treated G like a son. It's not wonder he loves being a horse, and enjoys running free while the sun shines. In any case, I liked G. He is patient and charming and sweet, and protective too (which I loved, but Jane wasn't always a fan).

Jane is truly a bookworm. Her nose is stuck in a book all the time, in the beginning of the book. She hates G as a principle and only marries him because it's Edward's wishes (he's dying and he's the king, so...). Jane can be pig-headed and silly sometimes, but she's also brave and fearless and bold. A little too bold, for this time period, but creative license and all that.

In fact, this whole tale is much too modern to really be historical, with all the modern slang. But it's a retelling of a practically medieval time in English history. There is no doubt that the authors did their research on this time period, even with this story reading so modernly. 

So our last protagonist, Edward. Edward is the dying king, who has never kissed a girl and barely rules as king. While Jane and G get married and are trying not to kill each other, Edward is busy trying to stay alive. But he finds out that he's being poisoned, and he barely escapes the palace. Edward's journey to getting back to the palace changes him, and he matures a great deal as the story goes on. 

In fact, all of our protagonists grow and mature. I was pretty pleased with Edward's character growth, but also Jane's. Jane could be pretty immature, in the earlier parts of the book. G... G had to grow up too, and face the responsibilities of being a duke's son, as well as a husband. Basically not just a horse anymore - in fact, he must learn how not to be a horse.

I loved watching G and Jane fall for each other! It's a hate-to-love relationship, and an arranged marriage. I actually really like both of these romance tropes, and they worked well inn this story. The authors never made it easy for the pair, but they found their way. There is also a second (separate) couple in the book. Yes, Edward finds someone he might be able to kiss! Anyway, I should mention that there was no love triangle, and the romances were pretty drama-free.

I loved how this book was not just the story of a newly married couple finding their way, or a king trying to take back his throne. G and Jane and Edward team up with some new friends to help Edward come up with a plan to take back his kingdom. The whole journey is filled with speed bumps and obstacles that are pretty funny, very reminiscent of The Princess Bride. There is a whole political aspect, between the Verities (people who think pure-blood humans are superior) and the Edians, and it greatly affects Edward's journey to reclaiming the throne.

If you think G is the only Edian in the story, think again. There are Edians everywhere! People who you least expect...

Overall, I really liked this book! I'd not read anything by Hand or Ashton before, but I love Meadows' The Orphan Queen duology. This standalone is pretty darn awesome!

What I Did Not Like:

Like I mentioned above, Jane was kind of annoying at times, especially in the beginning of the book. A little bratty, slightly stuck-up. But then, I feel like I understand her, and her position. Still, she could have been much less mean to G!

Would I Recommend It:

If you liked The Princess Bride, or YA historical fiction novels in general, this is a good for you! Also, people who like slow-burn, hate-to-love relationships. Also, HILARIOUS stories. 

Rating:

4 stars. I had a feeling that I would enjoy this book, and I did! I would if this trio of authors will write more alternate history stories... that would be fun!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

30 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this book Alyssa and whilst I was going to wait a little while before picking it up, your review really wants to make me give a go sooner! I love relationships that start off with hate and then develop into something more and also the development of these characters sounds fantastic! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep! I think you should read it as soon as possible! Hate-to-love romances are among my favorite types. ;) Thank you, Jasprit!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I was already curious about this one but now I'm even MORE keen to check the book out. It sounds great. Love that it has lots of great humor and love-to-hate romances can be really fun. I also really appreciate that characters grown in a novel, so that's another plus.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I think you might enjoy it, Lauren. =)

      Delete
  3. I wasn't really excited about this one before, but you make it sound so funny and entertaining! I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO entertaining! I think it's worth the shot, Kel. You're very welcome and thank YOU!

      Delete
  4. This does sound great. I love when a historical can get whimsical and fun. Great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially since there aren't many fun historical fiction novels in YA. Thank you, Sophia!

      Delete
  5. What a great review! This book sounds fun, I love that there's humor and great character growth! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many wonderful aspects of this book, Miranda! Thank you. ^_^

      Delete
  6. Great review! I've heard so many great things about this book. I've loved all of the authors books so I can't wait to see what they write all together! And I LOVE slow burn relationships. They just seem more natural and keep me interested longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds perfect for you then, Lizzie! I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it. :D

      Delete
  7. Great review! I've never read The Princess Bride, but I couldn't make it through the movie. So I'm not sure if this one would be for me. It still sounds good and Jane sounds like a character I would love, so maybe I will give it a try someday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You didn't like the movie!? Blasphemy. D: (I'm kidding. Mostly.) Well, if you ever decide to read this book, I hope you enjoy it, Erin!

      Delete
  8. Awesome review Alyssa! You've only made me pine for it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I hope you love it, Lekeisha. <3

      Delete
  9. I didn't read all of your review, because I can't wait to read it myself, and I always hate any spoilers. Basically I read what you liked and just made myself more excited for it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually kind of take offense that you think I would spoil the book for anyone.

      Delete
  10. Great review! Ohh yay I am glad and happy you like and enjoy this book Alyssa. I haven't read books from the authors Hand and Ashton either but heard great things about there books. I will admit I haven't read the book The Princess Bride either but I absolutely love love love the movie! lol But I have a really good feeling that I am going to love and enjoy this book, because I absolutely love books that are hilarious as well. Thank you for your awesome post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should watch the movie! It's old but a really good movie. Thank YOU, Katiria!

      Delete
  11. Love Princess Bride. I rewatch it all the time. Excited to try this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to read it Alyssa! I think we always need more historical fiction in YA. This is the baby of the mind of three great authors, so it must be awesome!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Will definitely have to pick this up! Since I love Princess Bride, YA Historical and slow-burning hate-to-love relationships! Glad to hear you enjoyed this one Alyssa, it sounds hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your thing for sure, Cyn! Thank you. =D

      Delete
  14. YAAAY :D Lovely review Alyssa. <3 SO happy that you loved this book :D I loved it so much. <3 Hugs. G was my favorite too :D And gosh, yes, Jane could have been so much nicer to him. Hmph. But I still managed to like her, lol :) It was such a good book. Sigh. Loved it. <3 Just a bit sad, hih, as I do not have the ARC. SOBS. Thank you for sharing your lovely review Alyssa :) You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G is the best! I feel like these authors were pretty cruel to him (i.e. Jane was), but I'm glad he got a nice ending. I don't have an ARC of this one, but I hope you are able to hunt one down!

      Delete
  15. Hate to love relationships are the bestest! I will def get this book when it comes out! I didn't know this was a fantasy as well! so fun! As always, awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED! Quite possibly my favorite romance trope. I hope you love this book when you read it, Zee! Thank you. <333

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!