Sunday, April 17, 2016

Review: Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh


Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
Book One of the Ivory and Bone series
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

A prehistoric fantasy—with allusions to Pride and Prejudice.

Hunting, gathering, and keeping his family safe—that’s the life seventeen-year-old Kol knows. Then bold, enigmatic Mya arrives from the south with her family, and Kol is captivated. He wants her to like and trust him, but any hopes of impressing her are ruined when he makes a careless—and nearly grave—mistake. However, there’s something more to Mya’s cool disdain…a history wrought with loss that comes to light when another clan arrives. With them is Lo, an enemy from Mya’s past who Mya swears has ulterior motives.

As Kol gets to know Lo, tensions between Mya and Lo escalate until violence erupts. Faced with shattering losses, Kol is forced to question every person he’s trusted. One thing is for sure: this was a war that Mya or Lo—Kol doesn’t know which—had been planning all along.

What I Liked:

One-line review: I can see the appeal, but this book is massively over-hyped. 

In my circles of the book blogosphere, this book is one of those debut novels that you keep hearing about, left and right, especially as the publication date draws closer. It sounds really great and unique - prehistoric fiction? Yes please! I don't think I've read a single YA book that deals with prehistoric times. We're talking mammoths and hunters and gatherers, yo. I think, overall, I enjoyed this book, but I was expecting more.

This book is told from Kol's POV. Kol is the eldest son of the High Elder of his tribe. When two sisters and a brother arrive at Kol's tribe, things begin to change. Mya, one of the sisters, captures Kol's attention, but Mya is rude and aloof and doesn't give him the time of the day. But Kol's tribe has a distinct lack of young females, and they need an alliance with their former allies (Mya's tribe). Five years ago, the two tribes parted ways violently, and five years later, the past has not been forgotten. Lo, the daughter of the High Elder of another neighboring tribe, arrives as a guest at Kol's tribe. Something is off between the two visiting tribes, and what Kol finds out is nothing he expected. What's for certain - war is coming, and it will be right in Kol's home.

This book is written in Kol's POV, but it's a weird mix of first and second person. I don't think I've read many books written in second person, so this was new, and weird. It's written in a way that Kol is telling the story to Mya, but it's in present, so he's not remembering what happening... he's telling readers what happened but in present form, to Mya. If that makes sense. So if he says "and then I see you, by the kayak", he means that he is seeing Mya by the kayak. Anyway, it was weird, and I'm not sure I liked it, but I will say that Eshbaugh pulled off the second person aspect for sure.

I also think Eshbaugh did a pretty good job with the setting. It can't have been easy, researching prehistoric times and trying to write a story that makes sense with the time period. I got a lot of 10,000 B.C. vibes (great movie, in my opinion!), so I think the setting was brought about well. It's a unique setting, one we don't see often in YA. Lots of mammoths and saber-toothed tigers and nomadic tribes.

The story was interesting, and I don't think I was ever really bored. I feel like the story relies heavily on the slow romance between Kol and Mya (more on that below), but there is more to the story. Kol's tribe needs young women, as his father (the High Elder) and mother have four sons, and the tribe in general has few young females. The feud between two tribes finds itself into Kol's tribe, where old secrets are brought to light. 

Overall, I do think I have a positive opinion on this book. I just think it was also really over-hyped, and I'd probably had too-high expectations. Still, I see the appeal and I do think many people will enjoy this book!

What I Did Not Like:

One of the things that stuck out to me and bothered me the most was the loooooooong stretches of paragraphs and pages in which there were intense and drawn-out descriptions of every minute thing. And descriptions of stories, history, and inconsequential details. This wasn't just in the very beginning of the book, when the author was trying to set the scene. No, this was throughout the book. These paragraphs upon paragraphs were so dry and I honestly skimmed or skipped a lot of them. They were totally unnecessary!

I pretty much hated Mya on the spot. She's kind of  a b***h, and there was no redemption for her, in my eyes. She's rude and mean and aloof and RUDE, and it's horrible! She treats Kol so badly. I know that this book is supposed to have Pride and Prejudice allusions or whatever, but Mya is so much worse than Darcy. Mya's behavior and attitude start to switch past the halfway mark, and by that time, it was pretty much too late for me to revise my opinion of her. She's so rude!

I never really saw Kol and Mya's connection. Kol, I could see, and I could understand his small interest in her. But because Mya was so rude, I could not really picture the two of them together. And I didn't see it happening. I didn't want it to happen. They didn't mesh well together, and they always seemed to be aggravating one another. Well, Kol is cool as a cucumber, and so sweet. Mya is... rude.

So I never really believed the romance. The romance was such a letdown! I really don't see Kol and Mya's feelings. Or I don't understand them. In any case, the romance is slow and kind of annoying, definitely not swoony or cute.

I had no idea that this is book one of a trilogy. When I finished the book, I was like, okay, that ending is a good one for a standalone novel! Then I go on Goodreads and it's part of a trilogy? I wonder how that is going to work...

Anyway, I felt a feeling of discontent, as well just a general "meh" feeling. I think a lot of the attraction of this book lies in the setting - you don't see prehistoric historical fiction in YA every day. However, when you actually read the story, it's not as intense as one would have expected.

Would I Recommend It:

I'd probably still recommend this one to anyone who was already interested. It most likely won't disappoint you! I don't think I'm too disappointed, though I wish I could have liked this book more than I did. Still, I like the idea of the story, and I'll probably pick up the next book in the series.

Rating:

3 stars. An okay start to a new series (I didn't know this was part of a series), one of which I'll probably be continuing in the future. While this is yet another over-hyped debut novel of 2016, I do see where the hype is coming from.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

24 comments:

  1. "I can see the appeal, but this book is massively over-hyped. "

    This should be the tag line for every freaking debut this year. EVERYTHING is so overhyped and it bothers me so much because I can't help but go in with high expectations. And it's not even the typical hype. It's just bloggers pimping up the books left and right without having read the book. -_- Next year, I'm determined to know absolutely NOTHING about the books because my reading has really suffered because of hype.

    Anyways, I was super wary of this one so I didn't download it, and now I'm really glad I didn't. I don't like the sound of Mya at all and the romance. Ergggh! Also, I get very annoyed when the writing focuses too much on unnecessary things. Skipping this one because I don't have time for mediocre books!
    Thanks as always for the honesty, Alyssa. I know I can always count on you to give it to me straight when it comes to these books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what it is about debut novels this year! There is more of a hype surrounding them in general than debut novels of years in the past. Probably the inundation of bloggers trying to make their voices heard among authors...

      In any case, this book could have worse but definitely could have been better. The romance was SO bad in this book. You know how much I love a good hate-to-love romance - but it's not enjoyable when the hero or heroine (which is the Darcy-esque one) is a jerk/b***h. Which Mya totally was. And for no good reason.

      I think skipping this book is a good idea, Nick! Hopefully you are reading something better.

      Thank YOU!

      Delete
  2. I thought it was over-hyped too, even though I haven't actually read the book. The idea of it seems interesting but I wasn't sure how it would be carried out. Looks like I'll be staying away from this one, since I can't stand annoying main characters and a 'blah' romance.
    Great review, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how so many '16 debuts are THIS hyped! I sort of fell for the hype here, though I don't think the book was terrible. Not great, but not terrible.

      Thank you, Richa!

      Delete
  3. Yikes, I can't stand anything second person. I don't think I've ever even once liked it. Also sad to hear this! I've definitely been super excited for it and I know how sad it is to be disappointed in over-hyped books, even though at this point I'm sure we're pretty much always expecting it. I actually think I might pass on this one - I know I will 100% skim those long passages too. My attention span just so isn't here for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan! I think the author did a good job with it, which is why I didn't get too mad about it, but I am not a fan of second person narration (or whatever was happening here).

      If you end up reading this book, I hope you like it, Zoey! But it's really not one that you *have* to read (although I could make that argument for most of these hyped '16 debuts).

      Delete
  4. I started reading this for a second a few weeks ago and couldn't really get into it. I'll try again later I'm sure, but I was confused and surprised by that second-person perspective. I've never read a book like that, and I don't know if I can handle the constant switching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it more, the second time around! The second-person narration threw me for sure - I don't think I liked it, but the author did do a good job with it. It was weird though!

      Delete
  5. I am really excited for this book, especially since it's supposed to be coming out a week earlier now! It sounds so unique and interesting! I think I just read a book that was second person so I am ready for that. I'm not so certain that I'm ready for such a rude love interest! That sounds so obnoxious! Buuut, I think I'm too interested to let this bother me! But the heads up is nice! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! Nice that Harper is doing that for so many of its '16 novels. When you read this book, I hope you enjoy it, Cyra!

      Delete
  6. A mix of first and second person? How odd. Hmm... Not sure this is for me then. Great review and I love your one line review. Sums up a tons of books the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very odd indeed! And lol, doesn't it though? A lot of '16 debuts this year, for sure. :/

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the refreshing honest review, will read something I know I like rather than get annoyed halfway through but try to Finish anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read something you think you'd be more likely to enjoy! Thank YOU, Nicole. =)

      Delete
  8. I'm participating in a tour for this one, so I hope I like it better when I read it Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably will! Crossing my fingers for you, Liza. ^_^

      Delete
  9. Hummm I mix of first and second person and long paragraph of description I don't like the sound of that. This book is probably not for me but it does have a very intriguing plot, but who knows I might give a chance one day! Great review and thank you for your awesome post Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so strange! I like what the author was trying to do, but I also don't like second person narration. If you end up reading it, I hope you enjoy it, Katiria!

      Delete
  10. So hard to like a book when you don't like the main character. Also, it is a little unsettling to find there are more books in the series when you feel the ending was enough. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series. Wonderful review, Alyssa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's technically not the main character, as the book is told from Kol's POV, but yes, it is so incredibly frustrating! She was so rude and not likable. And I'm not entirely sure how the author is making this story into a series, that seems weird to me. o_o

      Thank you, Rachel!

      Delete
  11. But.. but.. aw. I am so sorry you did not love this one sweetie :\ But I don't blame you at all. Sigh. But daaamn it. I have this ARC, lol. So I must read it, lol. I just hope I might like it :) Fingers crossed. I do love your review a lot. <3 And I'm glad you did like it, despite some issues :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, perhaps you will enjoy it more than I did! And in this way, you will be amply prepared when you go to read it. :D Happy reading!

      Delete
  12. I don't think I have read any thing second person as a story told to another character... And I don't know how I feel about it. I was excited about this one because it sounded like a unique setting but I didn't think about much beyond that and I can't stand a romance when one side is rude. I appreciate your honest review and might not pre-order this one, instead Ill wait for more reviews and maybe loan it from the library before buying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird way to tell a story! The romance kind of brought down the story itself but I think, overall, I was able to appreciate the story.

      Library sounds like a good idea! Then you can decide for sure if it's worth buying. =)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!