Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (#39): Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


This week, I'm featuring:


Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: January 28, 2014

Summary (from Goodreads):

Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.



Graceling is like, one of my favorite books ever, and I love Beauty and the Beast, and I love retellings, so... THERE :D

Edited 09/25 - well, speak of the devil. Harper auto-approved me on Edelweiss! So, I actually have this book now ;)

46 comments:

  1. Waiting on this one too! :)

    (I'm also loving all of the Beauty and the Beast retellings, recently)

    Jess @ bookrookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most beautiful cover work I have ever saw. O_O I have to buy this to go on my branch book shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! I love it. And LOL that's awesome!

      Delete
  3. I love Beauty and the Beast tales too. This sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to read this one as well. I have heard some amazing things about it and I hope you'll get to read it soon. Great pick :)

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this one sounds great. And the cover is gorgeous, nice pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting on this book as well :) I absolutely love the cover.

    My WoW :)


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I love the sound of this one for all the same reasons. The cover's not what I would hope for though... Nevermind - an awesome synopsis and novel and a cover I like would be too much to ask for I guess. Here's hoping January arrives quickly! :-) Awesome pick honey, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you don't really like the cover! But it sounds good nonetheless. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I've seen this book around SO much lately and I definitely want to give it a try :) Great pick!

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOMG! This one's been everywhere and I have to say that I am dying to read it too!! Love retellings and this one sounds remarkable!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Jessica! Retellings are quite popular these days ;)

      Delete
  11. I really want to read this one as well. Retellings are awesome, and this one sounds like no exception.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not so sure about the book itself, though it sounds interesting, but WOW what a beauty of a cover!!


    My WoW: http://pili-inlovewithhandmade.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Def excited for this one. Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi at Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I STILL need to read Graceling - you just reminded me!

    I'm hoping to read Cruel Beauty, too. My EW request has been pending for 10 days. Come on, Harper! :)

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GRACELING! :D

      10 days - psh. Mine was pending for about a month. But, thankfully, I'm auto-approved for Harper titles now!

      Delete
  15. Really looking forward to Cruel Beauty too. Great pick :)
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I'm excited for this too! I got it a few weeks back and I'm definitely looking forward to starting it! Happy reading girl (I saw you just got it on Twitter!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm reading this at the moment and so far I'm enjoying it.

    A nice pick - Sharon – Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so excited about this one! I absolutely need to read it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have really high hopes for this one. It sounds like a perfect blend of all the things I love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fairytale retellings! I hope we both enjoy this one :D

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic
    Check out what I'm waiting on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super excited for this one! One of my favorite covers. Love Beauty and the Beast retellings. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a gorgeous one. You're very welcome, Jennifer!

      Delete
  22. Yay! Awesome pick. It's my pick for next week, lol ;p I have it via Edelweiss, just need to start reading it, lol :p Graceling is my favorite book ever. Sigh. So good. Just hoping Cruel Beauty will be a little good as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it as well! Read it! And I loved Fire more, but Graceling is amazing. Me too, Carina, me too!

      Delete
  23. Oooh. This does sound good. I enjoy retellings too, and Beauty and the Beast was one of my fave fairy tales as a kid. Thanks for sharing this book and congratulations on being approved on Edelwiess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Retellings are awesome. Thank you so much, Ellen!

      Delete
  24. Whoa! Seeing the cover in your post, I JUST NOW made the connection that it's a rose and a spiral staircase. That took me awhile to figure out! Haha :) But this book looks really good and I'm excited for it!! I didn't realize it wasn't coming out until January though! Bummer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's great :D I'm sorry that you have to wait so long! Maybe, with your fabulous winning streak, you'll get an ARC ;)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!