Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill


All Our Yesterdays by Crisitn Terrill
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

What I Liked:

WOW! What a book! I can't believe I waited two months to read this one. I got it in May, and decided that September was far away, and that I didn't need to worry about September releases yet. Of course, mid-July, I realized that I had more September releases than I had review spots in September, so I took this one with me on a day job, and read for about two hours.

Let me tell you, this book just flies by! I found myself deeply engrossed, and I read this book in on sitting. It's filled with action, high-speed car chases (sort of), MURDER (imagine Stewie saying that, in that episode when he read The Da Vinci Code), and a sweet romance that you know right from the beginning.

Em and Finn need to go back in the past - their past - and stop James. Currently, they're in a prison. Em has failed thirteen times (it might have been fourteen), and has ended up in this prison all of those times. Every time she fails, she leaves instructions for herself in her cell, in a drain grate. This time, when she finds the instructions, she is convinced that she and Finn will succeed. In this present time (which is technically the future), Finn and Em are totally in love.

So, with the help of a guard they found in the past, Finn and Em go back in time. Finn and James and Marina are best friends in the past. Marina is in love with James. Marina hates Finn, because he's annoying and rubs her the wrong way. James's brother is a congressman. In this present time, Em and Finn have to find a way to kill James. Because James did something awful, and whatever it is (you'll find out), they need to stop it. Or they'll end up in the prison. Again.

I love love LOVE the plot of this book! Between Marina/James/Finn, and their blissful ignorance, and Em/Finn, and their quest to stop James... everything is so insane! If you pick up that one little thing, like I did, JUST by reading the synopsis... then your life (a.k.a reading this book) will be a lot easier. If you don't, then you'll just be surprised at some point. But it's really obvious. Look closely at the synopsis and what it says. And the two different stories/times. And the names.

The romance in this book is so sweet. I love watching Marina do the awkward dance around James. She's so in love with him, but he doesn't see it until he needs her comfort, and she's there. I love Em and Finn even more, because they're so genuine, and a beautiful couple. All the times of traveling back in time... and they keep falling in love with each other. Love it!

Terrill's writing style is AMAZING. It totally contributes to the brilliance that it time travel and the time and space continuum. I usually hate time travel books. But this book seems extremely plausible, because it's very scientific. You all know me and my math/science brain. Terrill really did her research, and her writing is gorgeous.

Read this one ASAP! If the cover didn't convince you, I hope this review does!

What I Did Not Like:

I kind of wish there was a bit more about the ending. It's sort of open-ended, which is okay, with series, but not with standalones. Is this a standalone? I've seen no indication otherwise. I hope there would be an epilogue, or something more, but I suppose not. Is it so bad that I want MORE? :)

Would I Recommend It:

Totally! Even if science fiction is not your thing, I think any reader would enjoy this book. I personally dislike most time-travel books (except the Ruby Red trilogy!), but I loved this book.

Rating:

4.5 stars -> rounded down to 4 stars, because I wanted more from the ending. BUT, it's a fitting, good ending, that wraps up everything. I just want more.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

22 comments:

  1. There is a sequel coming sweetie :D Cannot wait. <3 Oh, this book was just perfect. LOVED Finn. Best character. Glad you loved this book too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard! But I read this book and wrote this review months ago ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I agree with EVERYTHING you said. The plot is fantastic, the writing made the story so easy to follow, and the characters were so dynamic and the entire book certainly flew by. I had a few issues in the beginning, but that definitely ended after the 20% mark. I'm glad that you loved the plot, and the ending was definitely confusing for me, but hopefully it's explained a little better. I mean, like I kind of eventually worked it out, but it still left me a little confused haha :)

    Fantastic review, Alyssa! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so glad to hear that you really enjoyed this book as well. I feel like this book has only good ratings - but of course, there are those people that didn't like (I haven't seen any yet though). But anyway, I hope the sequel answers our questions! Thank you, Eileen!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to read this soon. I've had it for a few months and I'm excited because most reviews seem to be positive. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST! Tammy, it's bomb-diggity amazing! I hope you love it! And thank YOU :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVED this book, too! It was so thrilling and I adored Finn and the ending kind of made me want to throw my Kindle across the room. I had a mental breakdown until I found out about the sequel. And, now I dying to get my hands on book 2. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! That is so good to hear. I feel like my brain like, screamed, when I saw that there would be a sequel. It's a great standalone, but, SEQUEL :D

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I have heard only good things about this! And the plot sounds soooo amazing. I can't wait to read it. Every review just solidifies this. Gah! September needs to hurry up already :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I feel the same way! It was hard, before I wrote my review, NOT to read other people's reviews, because I only saw high ratings! I hope you read and love this book, Becca!

      Delete
  6. Glad you LOVED it! Now I have to go get it xD Great review!!!
    Happy reading
    Jackie

    http://nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED IT LIKE ASAP! I hope you read and love it ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Wow, nice review. I've been eyeing this one, and your enthusiasm makes me want to read it more! I like time travel stories if they're done right, and this one sounds like it was done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your eyeballing must come to an end! You need to read it. Time travel stories scare me, but this one was EPIC.

      Delete
  8. Great review. All Our Yesterdays was amazing. The writing was so good and the stakes were so high for all the characters. It felt so cinematic. I can't wait to see the movie for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so action-filled and heart-pounding, right?! This book WOULD make a fantastic movie, I believe :D

      Delete
  9. Ahhh I need to read this one ASAP. It's like the book of the month! And I'm a hardcore sci-fi lover so I already know I'll love it. Plus, I love books with loads of action. Haha, I have a math/science brain too so high five xD
    Can't wait to get into this! Awesome review, Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do, Richa! I hope most bloggers read this book! I'm also a scifi fan, so this book clicked for me. I'm the same way! Engineering major ;)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Great review ohhh going to check this book out asap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got confused with this book.. The people changed the cover so fast..i like the other cover better,though.. Great review!!! i have been wanting to read this book for awhile and i have heard a lot of great things about it that makes me want to read it even more!!!! From your review it sounds like it has a lot of great things in it that i will enjoy reading. Ill probably pick this book up soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers did change pretty frequently - but I must say, I liked this one. The gold one was nice too though. I hope you do pick this one up! It was impressive :)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!