Sunday, September 8, 2013

Review: Gold by Talia Vance


Gold by Talia Vance
Book Two of the Bandia series
Publisher: Flux
Publication Date: September 8, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Descended from an Irish demigod, Brianna has fled to Ireland to escape destruction at the hands of her sworn enemies, the Sons of Killian. Taking refuge at the estate of her former nemesis, Austin Montgomery, Brianna discovers a rift in time that opens to an era before the feud began.

Wrestling with her newfound feelings for the more innocent Austin, Brianna begins to wonder if she can alter the past. But when Brianna and Austin learn that the Sons are raising an army of mythical beasts, the pair will need to use their magical strength in the present to avoid a tragic end.

What I Liked:

I won Silver from Talia and A.L. Davroe last year, and I read it almost immediately upon receiving the book. I really liked the fresh concept, the Irish mythology, and the crazy characters! Brianna is a unique heroine in Young Adult literature, for better and for worse. I liked her, and I liked Blake. There is a love triangle presented in Silver, but at the end of Silver, Talia makes it clear who Brianna chooses.

Or so I thought.

It's just like Crown of Midnight. In the first book, I was all Team Dorian. The second book? Team Chaol forever and always! Gold completely changed my mind about Austin. I love Austin so much in this book, and not just as a love interest. He really developed into a solid, trustworthy character that Brianna relies on for help and support. And other things...

Brianna is in Ireland, trying to run away from the Sons of Killian, and Blake. She's pretty sure Blake hates her, and he doesn't trust her. Add on the fact that the next time she sees him, he's bonded with a different Bandia, and that's the last straw for Brianna. Blake doesn't deserve Brianna - that much is clear. You may not think Austin does either, from Silver, but in this book, some of the things that he did are explained.

Brianna finds a rift in time, at Austin's castle/mansion. She goes back in time and finds the younger Austin, from centuries back. This is how the Austin of now knew here and pursued her - because he fell in love with her back then, when she stepped through the rift in time.

Anyway. The plot and action in this book is nonstop. The beginning is a tiny bit slow, but it's balanced by Brianna's confusion about her feelings toward Blake, and Austin. The climax of the book is a final showdown kind of climax, in which everyone comes together and meets for one final battle. In a way. Read it and you'll see what I mean!

The romance is amazing in this book! Like I said before, I was rooting for Blake before. Actually, at the very beginning of Silver, I was rooting for Austin, but by the end of Silver, I was all for Blake. Throughout Gold, not once did I waver - I was all for Austin. There are some STEAMY scenes between Austin and Brianna - I was so happy to see that turn in their relationship!

The ending... well, see the next section. I kind of love and hate the ending. It's a good ending in terms of the conflicts in the book, between the Sons and the Bandia and the demigods and whatnot. But it's a horrible ending in terms of the romance.

What I Did Not Like:

There was only one big thing that I didn't like about this book... and that was the ending. Sort of. I liked the ending, but I absolutely hated it. If, by the end of the book, you're still Team Blake (How?!How could you be?!), then you won't care. If you're a convert like me, or have always been Team Austin... then prepare to have your heart broken. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but I cannot believe Talia would do that to Austin and Brianna. I knocked off a star because of that ending.

And the fact that there are no more novels to this series (this was the last one!) makes it worse. It's permanent. Unchangeable. Unbelievable. I'M SO SAD!

Would I Recommend It:

I would recommend this book, ESPECIALLY if you didn't like the first book. If you liked the first book, you'll read this one anyway. You must. If you weren't a fan of the first book... I have a feeling you'll like this one. It's more complex and deep and crazy and swoony!

Rating:

4 stars. My heart hearts, but I seriously loved this book. PLEASE write one more with a happier ending, Talia, PLEASE. I'm begging. I don't beg. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

13 comments:

  1. What? It's the LAST? Why? OMG I didn't know! The ending seriously broke my heart but I thought there would be another book in the series so I had hope. But now... Excuse me while I go cry my heart out.

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I moaned and complained on Twitter to Talia, and she said it was the last book :\

      *cue ugly sobbing*

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, so love Gold and so loved Austin! Great review!
    I asked Talia on twitter and said that she could write a third book but would totally depend on sales and it wasn't looking likely, so upseting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austin... yummy :D I really hope everyone buys this book, that read Silver! I know I bought a paperback copy ^_^

      Delete
    2. Same here, I'm waiting for my paperback copy to come in the mail!

      Delete
    3. Hope you got it by now, Pili! :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book and I almost had a break down at the ending! It's so upsetting. There better be a magical solution in the next book (there had better be a next book!) or I'm going to be very not happy. But, I TOTALLY loved this book! I thought it was even better than book 1. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did as well! Talia NEEDS to write another book. We need to get sales up! I definitely think this book was better than book one (and book one was great)!

      Thank you, Farrah!

      Delete
  4. I haven't even heard of this series! (I know, I'm bad.) But it sounds fantastic! And I generally like books published by Flux, so I'm definitely going to look into it. Love the review, Alyssa :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not bad at all, Becca :D Flux definitely has some AMAZING titles, so I really hope you like this one! Thank you! <3

      Delete
  5. I literally just finished silver and looked up the second book and I have already hear what happens at the end :( idk how it happens or anything but I know about Austin and I swear to baby Jesus if I fall in love with Austin as the main guy and that's how it ends, I will go buy all the copies I can find just so she can write a 3rd book!!! Also Blake bonds with another? When I saw that I had that jealous ex gf oh no the hell you didn't moment, like what?!?!? I loved Blake until I saw these comments. He sounds like most guys, oh I love you blah blah blah. I really hope karma visits him! And what is talias twitter? Email me @ havendrewboo@yahoo.com come on everyone we need to help her writing a new book possible, xoxo -Haven Jones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL please do! I really need a third book! I've been begging Talia/Flux for another! Austin is so fantastic, and yeah, Blake is kind of worthless, in my opinion.

      Delete
  6. Or please go to my Google page :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!