Friday, September 27, 2013

Review: Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter


Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter
Book Two of the White Rabbit Chronicles
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Inspired by the childhood classic Alice in Wonderland, this harrowing and romantic story features teen zombie slayer Alice Bell who has lost so much—family, friends, her home. After a strange new zombie attack, Alice fears she may be losing her mind as well. A terrible darkness blooms inside her, urging her to do wicked things. The whispers of the dead assault her ears and mirrors seem to come frighteningly to life. She’s never needed her team of zombie slayers more—including her boyfriend, Cole—than she does now. But as Cole strangely withdraws and the zombies gain new strength, Ali knows one false step may doom them all.

What I Liked:

I'm not sure which book I liked better: Alice in Zombieland or Through the Zombie Glass. But it's safe to say that I really liked (LOVED) them both! I loved them both, but for very different reasons. This book definitely had a darker tone than the first book. Things were not as smooth for the characters. But I loved this book, with all of that!

I'll try not to spoil anything in THIS book, but I can't guarantee that I won't spoil things in the first book.

Ali is officially a zombie slayer. She's dating the "boss" of the slayer team, Cole Holland, who is hot and yummy, and sweet, and moody and bossy. She has an awesome Nana, an amazing best friend Kat. She occasionally sees her dead little sister, Emma. Life is pretty good!

Except it's not. At the end of book one, Ali took on a ton of zombie toxin. So much, that something is changing in Ali. A new presence, Zombie Ali, seems to be manifesting. And it's destroying Ali's life. Ali can't seem to control Z.A., and only with a constant injection of the antidote does Ali feel a little better.

To make matters worse, Ali shares visions with someone other than Cole - a new slayer named Gavin. The visions are ambiguous, but Cole fears that Alie and Gavin are seeing something similar to what he and Ali saw in their first glances. So, Ali and Cole's relationship deteriorates.

That's kind of the big thing in this book. Cole and Ali are not together anymore. One of Cole's exes, Veronica, shows up as well. Cole broke up with Ali, but we both know that the two of them regret that. I think Ali handles the break-up very well. 

Despite the horrible crumbling relationship, I found that Ali was strong, even with the dark presence. She tried her best to be a competent slayer, but Z.A. gets in the way. The Hazmats get in the way. A spy, unknown to the group, gets in the way. Nothing is going Ali's (or the group's) way.

So, you know that the romance between Ali and Cole dissipates - in terms of the relationship, that their no longer dating. BUT, Showalter still finds ways to put them together, and all that pent-up frustration and time apart wears the two of them down - especially Cole.

I still liked Cole, despite his breaking up with Ali for basically no rational reason. I understood why, and in the end, I'm glad he learned his lesson. The end for everything - Z.A., Cole and Ali, Kat and Frosty, Reeve and Bronx - all ends pretty well. I'm not going to say that everything is resolved, but things, zombie- and relationship-related, is settled.

What I Did Not Like:

The drama between Veronica and Ali is so silly. I don't know why Ali stooped to Veronica's level. I can understand why Showalter put certain interactions between the two of them in the book, but I still didn't like it. If I were dealing with an ex of the boy I still loved, but was no longer with, I would ignore her shenanigans. 

Also, like the first book, this book is longggg. Which isn't a bad thing, because I like long books, but like the first book, I felt the length sometimes. Other times, I just ripped right through the book!

Would I Recommend It:

I would TOTALLY recommend this book, even to people that didn't like book two. For those of you that thought book one was insta-lovey, this book will change your mind. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and in Cole and Ali's case, that is true!

Rating:

4 stars. I cannot wait to read book three! I wonder what the title will be. I can't wait to see it, and read it!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

8 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting. I love Alice in Wonderland and zombies so I'd really like to see how they merge. I am definitely going to have to add the first one to my TBR list, like it's not long enough already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series isn't very much like Alice in Wonderland, but if you can separate the two, then you'll really like this series. Read both! And I so know what you mean, April ;)

      Delete
  2. I've skimmed your review a bit to avoid spoilers for book 1 that I still have to read but I'm quite intrigued to start this series soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! You're so smart :) I hope you read this series sometime! Thank you for commenting despite not reading book one yet, Pili!

      Delete
  3. Aw :( Sad face. NOT happy with the romance. Damn it. Yeah, probably not reading this book after all (A) lol. Depends if I will read my hardcover of book one, and if I love it a lot. Anyway. Your review is awesome :) I am happy that you loved the book. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. You didn't like the romance? Interesting. I love the romance in the first book, and I like what Showalter did with it in the second book. NO LOVE TRIANGLE, Carina! But thank you for commenting anyway. You rock!

      Delete
  4. I recently acquired this book! Now I need to buy the first one.. Haha :) I couldn't read your whole review because you said there might be book one spoilers, but I read enough to know you loved it, and to know I'm very excited to read it now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! Or, borrow from the library. I totally understand, Meredith! Thank you for commenting anyway :)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!