Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review: Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Covet (Entangled)
Publication Date: May 31, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC provided by the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.

Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?

What I Liked:

I really, really liked this book! I had a feeling I would, because the Arum have always had a mysterious quality to them. Hunter is just... YUM. I'd say that I like the book a lot BECAUSE of Hunter, but I also like the book because of its plot and its relation to the Lux series, and the romance (swoon!).

But let's talk about Hunter. He is so different from what I expected. Okay. I expected arrogant and domineering, like the synopsis says. But JLA made him... come alive. She made the book in Serena and Hunter's points-of-view, so it was easy to relate to both characters, but especially Hunter.

Hunter is lethal. We are constantly reminded of this, page after page. He isn't the kind of lethal that appears every now and then to remind readers of how "dangerous" he is. Hunter is the REAL lethal, the kind that could blow at any minute and kill everything. He isn't gentle or tender or any of those sweet things. He is brutal and rude and oh-so-BOSSY.

I enjoyed reading about Hunter. I enjoyed his story very much. Although, his story was just as much Serena's as it was his. Serena is a great heroine. I actually liked her more than I thought I would, but I still had problems with her (see below). She definitely held her own against Hunter, and is so worthy of him. 

The plot of this was interesting, despite the fact that the romance was clearly the primary plot. I wanted to know what would happen with the senators and the DOD and Project Eagle. JLA spins us in circles with the dizzying and exhilarating romance, but she always reminds us of the underlying plot at hand.

This book connected to the Lux series, which I liked. There is mention of a certain hot Luxen and his girl towards the end of this book. Another male, um, thing (I have no idea what this guy is!) pops up. He's like a fix-all, or a band-aid! Anyway. I hope Hunter and Serena appear in future Lux books!

Did I already say that I loved the romance? It was dizzying and exhilarating, I think I said. I think Hunter and Serena go really well together. But then, I wouldn't mind a Hunter of my own. Smiley face.

The ending is great! It's a positive ending, but I have a feeling that JLA isn't done with Hunter and Serena. Cameos in the Lux books? I hope so!

What I Did Not Like:

There wasn't much that I did not like. I feel like JLA's heroines are all the same - snarky, brave, stupid when it comes to some simple but detrimental decisions (DON'T GO BACK TO COLORADO, IDIOT! But of course, that's what Serena did. OF COURSE). But this did not really bother me because somehow, Serena really complemented Hunter. I liked her sometimes, I hated her at other times. All heroines have their flaws, but I feel like sometimes, Serena is just plain dumb. Not often though.

That's my only complaint :)

Would I Recommend It:

I totally would! This book is so engrossing and interesting and HOT. But seriously adult-only. Or for mature readers. Promise me you're not one of JLA's younger fans who wants to read this book. Save it for when you are older! And for you slightly older fans (hey, I'm 17!), have at it! You'll enjoy it.

Rating:

4 stars. This one is definitely one of my favorites of JLA's books! I hope she continues to write about the Arum, because this book really explored the other side of the aliens in this story.


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous review! I look forward to reading this one myself! I do remember Jennifer mentioning that she worried other younger readers might pick this one up since word's already out that it's from the Lux world and when we hear that how many people think DAEMON! So I guess the cover is sort of a warning to that fact, cause I am not really a fan of it. Glad it's on my kindle!

    But yes, great review!! I am trying to get through some older reads that have started to yellow in the pages for sitting in my TBR pile too long (seriously, the last one I was reading looked a little yellow-ish versus the normal white-ish page)! Then I am definitely moving on to this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not new to adult novels, seeing that I have a THING for historical romance novels :D

      I kind of hate the cover? But I guess that acts like a deterrent, maybe? lol

      I hope you get to this one eventually, Jessica! I know you'll love it :)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!