Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: The Girl With the Iron Touch by Kady Cross


The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

In 1897 London, something not quite human is about to awaken 

When mechanical genius Emily is kidnapped by rogue automatons, Finley Jayne and her fellow misfits fear the worst. What's left of their archenemy, The Machinist, hungers to be resurrected, and Emily must transplant his consciousness into one of his automatons—or forfeit her friends' lives. 

With Griffin being mysteriously tormented by the Aether, the young duke's sanity is close to the breaking point. Seeking help, Finley turns to Jack Dandy, but trusting the master criminal is as dangerous as controlling her dark side. When Jack kisses her, Finley must finally confront her true feelings for him...and for Griffin. 

Meanwhile, Sam is searching everywhere for Emily, from Whitechapel's desolate alleyways to Mayfair's elegant mansions. He would walk into hell for her, but the choice she must make will test them more than they could imagine. 

To save those she cares about, Emily must confront The Machinist's ultimate creation—an automaton more human than machine. And if she's to have any chance at triumphing, she must summon a strength even she doesn't know she has...

What I Liked:

I honestly cannot believe just how much I absolutely LOVED this book. I read The Girl in the Steel Corset, the first book a few years ago (i.e., a really long time ago, in which I don't remember much of what happened). I was not impressed with the first book. I gave it just about three stars - but on the low end of three stars. It was somewhat boring, very slow-paced, and only minimally interesting. 

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar, the second book, was better. There was more action, a faster pace to the story, and, well, MORE. I liked that book so much more than the first book, and I gave it four stars.

This book was AMAZING. I almost can't believe that this book is in the same series as the first book. This book is so different from the first book. Things actually happen! There is more characterization! I can finally see the underlying plot that connects the books! I honestly thought this series was more of a companion series, and not a continuation series.

I was so impressed by the plot! It felt like action or scheming or SOMETHING was happening, page by page. I found the story easy to follow, despite the much faster pace. The plot took twists and turns and made me guess right until the end.

When I said characterization happened, I meant it. This book is "Emily's" book, so we get to see more of Emily and transitively, more of Sam. I liked finally being able to get into the Irish girl's head, and understanding her thoughts. Emily is no longer a mystery to readers. I really like her! And I like the pair of Emily and Sam even more now.

All of the characters seem to undergo some characterization. By the end, Griffin is more open about what is happening to him, Finley is more caring towards everyone, and Jack is more caring to certain people, and less invasive to others.

I think one of the biggest reasons why I loved this book so much more than the first book and the second book is the romance. Emily and Sam are truly a couple now (as if there were any doubts). But Finley and Griffin! Despite Griffin's secretiveness, Finley is consistent and keeps harrowing away at his walls. They FINALLY do stuff! I'm so happy to see their relationship take a new level. 

The scenes with Finley and Griffin almost getting close, but get interrupted, are my FAVORITE. It always seems to be Sam barging in at the wrong moment. But I love those scenes! I love Griffin even more (despite his secrecy), and I compliment Finley on her persistence.

The plot and the ending of this book are so well written. I am so happy that I stuck with this series, because now I cannot wait to read the next book, The Girl with the Wind-Up Heart!

What I Did Not Like:

There really isn't much I can say here. I know, I am as shocked as you are! I didn't think I would like this book at all, but instead, I loved it so much!

Would I Recommend It:

YES YES YES! If you've already started the series, stick with it! You may not have liked the first and/or second book (or maybe you did!), but trust me when I say that you will LOVE this one! I hope you do!

Rating:

5 stars - I keep saying it is rare for me to give a book five stars, but here I am giving books five stars left and right! It seems like this year has some amazing books, and I am thrilled to be reading books that I love!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review. I have been hearing such good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to read this one sometime!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!