Monday, June 19, 2017

Review: Now I Rise by Kiersten White


Now I Rise by Kiersten White
Book Two of the Conqueror's Saga
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: June 27, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lada Dracul has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself. After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada what she wants. And thinking of Mehmed brings little comfort to her thorny heart. There’s no time to wonder whether he still thinks about her, even loves her. She left him before he could leave her.

What Lada needs is her younger brother Radu’s subtlety and skill. But Mehmed has sent him to Constantinople—and it’s no diplomatic mission. Mehmed wants control of the city, and Radu has earned an unwanted place as a double-crossing spy behind enemy lines. Radu longs for his sister’s fierce confidence—but for the first time in his life, he rejects her unexpected plea for help. Torn between loyalties to faith, to the Ottomans, and to Mehmed, he knows he owes Lada nothing. If she dies, he could never forgive himself—but if he fails in Constantinople, will Mehmed ever forgive him?

As nations fall around them, the Dracul siblings must decide: what will they sacrifice to fulfill their destinies? Empires will topple, thrones will be won . . . and souls will be lost.

What I Liked:

I feel similarly to the way I felt about And I Darken, which is good and bad. I gave And I Darken 3.5 stars, and ended up rounding up to 4 stars. I'm rounding down this time because I don't necessarily feel more positively about Now I Rise compared to how I felt about And I Darken. While I like these books, I don't really love them, and there are some things about them that I personally didn't enjoy. Factor in my mood - I have been putting off this book for months. Overall though, it's a decent sequel and it has me looking forward to reading the third book in the series. 

As with And I Darken, this book is written in third-person alternating POVs, switching from Radu to Lada for each chapter. Lada has left Mehmed - and Radu - and is determined to get back Wallachia, even if she is on her own. She has a company of loyal men who follow her, but she needs more support. She refuses to go crawling back to Mehmed. Meanwhile, Radu still serves Mehmed with stars in his eyes. He still holds onto the hope that Mehmed will love him as deeply as Radu loves Mehmed. But Mehmed's ambition comes between Mehmed and everything/everyone. His desire for Constantinople is more important, and he sends Radu to Constantinople to spy. The Ottomans are stronger and more numerous, and Radu is sure that the city will fall. But after months in the city, does he want the city to fall? Is he still unflinchingly loyal to Mehmed? He always wanted to be the Dracul sibling that Mehmed chose, but Mehmed has his own agenda, and it doesn't seem to involve Radu. Lada, on the other hand, is only looking to regain Wallachia, and does not care to involve herself in Mehmed's war. But even Wallachia is not safe, and not just from Mehmed.

This book is quite long and dense and it feels like nothing is happening at times, but then it feels like everything is happening all at once. I much preferred Lada's plot, because it was more interesting and action-packed. Every chapter from Radu's POV was a little more boring and mopey. (I'll get to that in the next section.)

I liked Lada more in this book. I liked her in the previous book but I feel like I connected with her more in this sequel. She is no less ferocious and brutal, but I liked seeing small bits of vulnerability - her loneliness, her missing Radu, her sexual desires, her desperation for Wallachia. Somehow, Lada seems more human in this book, even if she is more murder-happy in the book. If that makes sense?

Radu seems more mature and battle-hardened in this book, and less of a whining crybaby. Don't get me wrong, he still mopes about how Mehmed doesn't love him - he mopes a lot - but it seems more internalized and he doesn't seem as much a crybaby to me. I still don't like him very much but I appreciated his character development. Radu makes a lot of decisions in this book, and not all support Mehmed. He has a lot to think about, in terms of his feelings for Mehmed, and how far he'll go to support Mehmed.

The overall plot of this book is focused on Mehmed's campaign for Constantinople. Even Lada is somewhat caught in the battle, indirectly. She is fighting for Wallachia, and without Mehmed's proposed help. Meanwhile, Radu is torn between helping defeat Constantinople (helping Mehmed) or helping defend Constantinople (something he feels is right). To me, Radu's plot drags, but Lada's is exciting. And sometimes terrifying - Lada does not joke around when it comes to her quest to regain Wallachia. 

It is very clear that the author has done her research for this series. She is sticking fairly close to the actual history of Vlad the Impaler and the Ottoman Empire, which is cool. Of course, some things are clearly fictional, but the author has recreated the story impressively.

In general, this sequel was pretty good. Maybe it's my mood but I just didn't love it. See some of my reasons in the next section!

What I Did Not Like:

Probably the biggest thing that took away from my enjoyment of the book was the fact that I was so bored at times. Sometimes I'd be totally caught up in the story. Other times I'd be incredibly bored and inclined to start skimming. Especially during the chapters of Radu's POV. His plot was must slower, more contemplative. 

Radu... I didn't really care for him, even if I didn't dislike him as much as I did in the first book. 99% of his thoughts involve Mehmed, and most of those thoughts are about his love for and devotion to Mehmed, and how he would do anything for him. He sort of knows that this isn't reciprocated, but he holds onto hope. He thinks there is a chance that Mehmed doesn't know that he (Radu) is in love with him (Mehmed) - poor boy. Radu is so lovesick and blind in this book. I wasn't a huge fan of all of this melodrama. While I understand why the author is writing in Radu's POV every other chapter, I don't love it and I think the story could stand well without it.

In general, I didn't really like the romance. It's still triangular in a sense. Lada cares deeply for Mehmed, and I believe it is returned. Radu is obsessed with Mehmed and loves him. Mehmed has a harem full of women, at least one wife, and children. I personally think Mehmed loves no one and uses everyone. I don't like Mehmed but I think that's the point. Still, I dislike how everything seems to revolve around Mehmed. He is such a snake.

White is sticking pretty close to the actual history of Vlad the Impaler and the Ottoman Empire and Constantinople. This is a great thing - but also, it makes me wary, because things don't end well for everyone, in the original history. That's all I'm going to say on that.

Like I said, the biggest thing was the occasional bouts of boredom - and the length of the book didn't help matters. The beginning of the book really dragged (in terms of both POVs, not just Radu's).

Would I Recommend It:

I do recommend this sequel, if you read And I Darken. It's a good sequel! Some of my complaints could be because of my current mood - I've been avoiding this book for a while though. Give this book a chance if you read book one, whether you liked book one or not. I will say though, if you haven't started the series, hold off until the final book is published (I think this is a trilogy?), and then check it out. I'm a little scared for the ending of this series! This series is perfect for fans of historical fiction and strong, kickbutt heroines. 

Rating:

3.5 stars -> rounded down to 3 stars. I am hoping that the next book will be the best of the series. I like the books but I don't love them. I can't wait to read book three though - and to see its cover!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

20 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first book in this series and I don't think I'll be picking it up, despite my interest in Lada. I just don't think I'd have the patience for Radu or Mehmed. I hope the next book makes you more excited than this one did!

    Hope you have a great week, Alyssa!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The historical accuracy and all the intrigue would be a draw, but yes, whining and this sort of unrequited love for a guy who doesn't deserve it would get me impatient, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is epic! And more than a little intimidating in a way. I feel like it's one you have to get into from the beginning and go in all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the first book in this series, but I've been considering it...especially because I noticed the first book is on sale on Amazon right now, but I think I will skip this one after all. lol! Sorry to hear that it had some really slow moments. I hate when I get so bored that I feel the need to start skimming. Hope you enjoy your next read a little more! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I easily get bored, and that's been one of my biggest problem lately. I haven't read the first book, but I don't think I'll be picking this up later. And I hate unrequited love as well, so maybe no chance at all? But I do love the cover though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long dense, and feels like nothing is happening at times.... I think I would have trouble with this series. In fact, the main thing that turns me off about these books is how huge they are. I have problems with books like that, and I almost always end up DNFing, just because I don't like trudging through long sections. I hope your next read is a better one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think our mood can definitely affect our ratings.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning review Alyssa :D Yay for enjoying this book more than I did, haha ;) Just DM if I you wish to talk about it more. <3 And uugh, yesss. I disliked Radu a lot in this one too :( His point of views were so, so boring, and he had the most writing it felt like.. rude. I wanted more of Lada :) But glad that you liked this one a lot, despite many issues, hih :D I hope that book three will be awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to this because the reviews have been amazing so far, but I'm also glad your review has tempered the hype somewhat so I won't let my excitement get out of hand. Hope I'll be reading it soon!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry this one wasn't a bit better for you. I really enjoyed the first book so I am still wanting to give this one a read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So... I didn't love And I Darken. I was one of very few though and I thought I might give it a reread to try to get into it the way I was supposed to.

    Maybe I won't reread it - but I'm still interested in this one. I don't know why. I guess I'm torn!

    Or maybe I should hold off completely until the last book is published and maybe binge them all... I really want to enjoy them though so that's putting a lot of pressure on me!

    Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this book to read and I have been putting it off too because of the size. I have a feeling that I'm going to feel the same as you about this one. I anticipate being slightly bored. Haha. I'm both excited and not excited to read it. I am excited about seeing Lada again, though! Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear that this series hasn't been all you'd hoped! I'm still quite intrigued by it, although I thought it was going to be a duology and I'm a bit bummed that it's not. Lada sounds like a totally atypical MC for a YA story, which is a good thing in my books. Especially since she's more humanized in this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry this one didn't really work. It does seem like with so many dragging parts the action could have been a little closer together. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I Darken was super dense and boring to me so I'll probably pass on the sequel. Thanks for the overview

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I Darken was super dense and boring to me so I'll probably pass on the sequel. Thanks for the overview

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I Darken was super dense and boring to me so I'll probably pass on the sequel. Thanks for the overview

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I Darken was super dense and boring to me so I'll probably pass on the sequel. Thanks for the overview

    ReplyDelete
  19. And I Darken was super dense and boring to me so I'll probably pass on the sequel. Thanks for the overview

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you liked this one despite the bouts of boredom. The boredom (just because it felt like the book dragged) was why I DNF'd the first book, And I Darken (and I was so close to finishing, too - 80%!) I guess I wanted to see a lot more action and it didn't deliver until the very end. I really liked Lada's POV, and am happy to hear that Radu's moping is more internalized in this sequel! But omg, Mehmed. I dislike how everything revolves around him (despite the historical accuracies). Like, the romance, the plot, the politics, the action - I really disliked his character and it's probably what made me so averse to finishing book 1.

    But still, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the conclusion! Awesome review.

    - Aila @ One Way Or An Author

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!