Friday, June 2, 2017

Review: Enforcer by Katana Collins


Enforcer by Katana Collins
Book Three of the Harrison Street Crew series
Publisher: Swerve
Publication Date: June 6, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Worse than bad. Hotter than hot. These are the bad boys of the Harrison Street Crew, and they answer to no one. They take what they want. And what they want is you.

Ryan Gallagher is the one who does the dirty work. The brute force in the Harrison Street Crew, he lives to have the club all for his own one day. But the one thing he can’t have is Megan Mahoney—the one woman he’s loved since she was a teenager who needed saving.

Megan never forgot the all-consuming passion she felt for Ryan, her larger-than-life, wild teenage love. But coming from a hard, shocking past has left her broken and scared—and untrusting of the Harrison Street Crew. Ten years later, she’s back in Ryan’s world to claim a promise he made to her years ago. And even though she knows she shouldn’t fall for him, Ryan still has an explosive, sensual pull on her that she can’t ignore.

Ryan’s powerful love for Megan is the only thing that could ever soothe the tempestuous beast that roars in his soul. And when she comes back to him to aid her in a dangerous quest—a deadly revenge plot he swore he would be a part of years ago—Ryan can’t say no. He lives to protect this woman. He will die loving this woman. And as the stakes get higher, the love that they have kept hidden all these years explodes and goes further and deeper than either of them expected. But with a dark threat from Megan’s past thrust headlong into their lives, can their love win out?

What I Liked:

Out of the three books in this series, Enforcer is easily my least favorite. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't have the same zest that Ex-Con and Outlaw had. Sure, I loved the bicker and banter between Ryan and Megan. But when it came down to it, I wasn't sold on the romance overall, and the climax and ending had way too much drama. I really enjoyed the series as a whole though.

We meet Ryan and Megan in the previous two books, and we get hints of a past connection between the two. It turns out, Megan has been in love with Ryan since she was sixteen (ten years ago), and Ryan has been in love with her for just as long. On her twenty-first birthday, Megan decides to make a move on Ryan... and he rejects her. For Ryan, it's because Megan is Boots' daughter - and Boots was a father-figure to Ryan. But now Boots is dead and Megan is all grown up, and she is demanding that Ryan make good on this deadly promise that he made to her, ten years ago. He has protected her for all these years, and he'll keep doing so, even if he can't have her. But Megan is a fighter and she doesn't quit - and in this case, she won't give up on Ryan. 

I loved Megan - she is so tough and gutsy and she goes after what she wants. She survived a cruel and heartbreaking past, and she is stronger than ever. I like how she knows what she wants and follows through - not just with Ryan, but everything she puts her mind to. Megan argues with Ryan and HSC about everything, and doesn't let them push her around. Sometimes this could be a little annoying, but for the most part, I love how she never took no for an answer. 

Ryan is the enforcer of HSC - the guy who roughs up people for HSC, and does the dirty work for the club. He's been around the club since he was eleven, and his commitment to the club is respectable. As is his desire to protect Megan, and somehow stay away from her as well. I liked Ryan and I think he deserved the best (which, to him, is Megan). I didn't like the whole "I-can't-date-you-because-of-your-dad" thing, but I'm glad he dropped that after a while.

Ryan and Megan are good together. They argue and bicker a lot, and it's not forced or over-the-top. All of the bickering felt natural and perfectly appropriate, given both of their volatile personalities. These two are like fire and fire in terms of personalities and tempers, and chemistry too. 

I also liked that this book furthered the conflict between HSC and other gangs, and went deeper into several issues (Boots' murder, Remy's dealings, Megan's past). My heart broke for Megan, but also for Ryan too. 

Overall, this wasn't a bad book. And if it's the end of the series, not a bad ending. Just not that great either, compared to books one and two. 

What I Did Not Like:

I think most of my issues stemmed from Megan's personality, to be honest. Which, if you recall, I loved, but I also hated. Most likely I just didn't connect with her very well.

Megan seriously could have cut Ryan a break. I felt like she was constantly too hard on him and never once put herself in his position. She almost came across as selfish - yes, she goes after what she wants and is very hard-headed  and doesn't let HSC or Ryan push her around. But at the same time, she almost never thinks through what she is being stubborn about. She always steps into more trouble because she is too determined to be Miss Independent. Sometimes, it's smarter to listen to what someone else is telling you, man or not. 

At times, it almost felt overwhelming, how Megan pushed Ryan away when he tried to tell her to do this or that (and he was almost always right! Goodness!). Megan should have respected him enough to at least hear and understand him, instead of getting mad at him for telling her something, and then she goes and does whatever and people get hurt. It's kind of ridiculous.

There is a lot of miscommunication drama during the climax and the ending of the book. None of it makes sense to me - both Ryan and Megan fly off the handle on several separate occasions, and they act like they can't come back from these arguments and blow-ups. Megan was definitely being irrational and she overreacted a lot. Ryan, he was more level-headed and I could also see why he reacted badly to a few scenarios. In those scenarios, Megan was being childish and stupid. 

And the romance -- yes, there was chemistry between these two. Lots of arguing and passionate tension between them. But somehow, I just wasn't feeling this romance like I was in Ex-Con and Outlaw. I didn't really fall for Ryan and Megan as a pair, even though I wanted to see them end up together. AND there is only one real sex scene in this book! Two, but the second one is a bit hasty. For all of their chemistry, there was a distinct lack of sex. So. There's that. 

In general, this book seemed lackluster compared to the previous two. Not bad, but just not up to the same speed as the other two books. 

Would I Recommend It:

Eh, I don't not recommend it, but I think Ex-Con and Outlaw were better and I recommend those more. If you read those two and want more, this one won't be terribly disappointing. But you could also stop after Outlaw (mmm, that book was good). If you like motorcycle club romances (this is more of a car club romance novel), then you might enjoy this series in general.

Rating:

3 stars. I wish I had loved this book more! I didn't hate it though, and I'm not too disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high, given that I'd been dying to read Ryan and Megan's book since meeting them in the previous books. I wouldn't mind reading more from this series though!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I was about to say that Megan sounded amazing until I read what you didn't like about her :/ Man, that sucks. I could give the other two books a try since I love car/motorcycle club stories. But this one sounds like I wouldn't really enjoy much of it. Lovely review!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm this one doesn't sounds to great. I find it hard to read a book when you don't connect with the main character. Also, miscommunication can sometimes drive me nuts. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate miscommunication drama. It's the worst! =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck, I hate those kind of dramas :( Not good at all. Sigh. I'm sorry this book wasn't as awesome as you had hoped :\ But glad you still enjoyed a lot of it Alyssa :D Yay. <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!