Thursday, February 13, 2014

Swoon Thursday (#55): The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Swoon Thursday is a hot meme hosted by the fabulous ladies at YA Bound!


- From the book you’re currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering

- Try to make the swoon excerpt 140 characters (or less), if you are going to tweet about it. Use the hashtag #YABOUND when tweeting


This week, my swoon is from The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski!


PAY ATTENTION, PEOPLE. This is my absolute FAVORITE scene of the entire book.


"But am I your enemy?" Arin crossed the space between them. Softly, he repeated, "Am I?"

She didn't answer. She concentrated on the feel of the table's edge pressing into the small of her back. The table was simple and real, joined wood and nails and right corners. No wobble. No give.

"You're not mine," Arin sad.

And kissed her.

Kestrel's lips parted. This was real, yet not simple at all. He smelled of woodsmoke and sugar. Sweet beneath the burn. He tasted like the honey he'd licked off his fingers minutes before. Her heartbeat skidded, and it was she who leaned greedily into the kiss, she who slid one knee between his legs. This his breath went ragged and the kiss grew dark and deep. He lifted her up unto the table so that her face was level with his, and as they kissed it seemed that words were hiding in the air around them, that they were invisible creatures that feathered against her and Arin, then nudged, and buzzed, and tugged.

Speak, they said. 

Speak, the kiss answered.

- eARC, 90%



Read my review HERE.


I actually read this book last year, but you all, it is SO AMAZING. Be sure to read this one when you get the chance. I don't care if you don't read a lot of YA books. If you read one YA book this year, or ever, make it this one!!

28 comments:

  1. I really love the cover to this book!! And that swoon... no wonder you love it!

    Here's My Swoon!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Naomi, that is a great cover. And that kiss, mmm.... definitely swoon worthy.

    Thanks for stopping by my Swoon.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And yes, this swoon is amazing. You're welcome, and thank you!

      Delete
  3. Ooo that was such a beautiful swoon and kind of poetic! I love that line "sweet beneath the burn", I can actually smell the sugar and woodsmoke...is that weird lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! Her writing style is amazing. And no, not weird at all!

      Delete
  4. Love conflicted relationships! They are so much more interesting when the characters start to give in. Hee Hee. I wonder why they might thing they be enemies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, and this relationship is definitely complicated. You MUST read this one, Kelsey!

      Delete
  5. Is it bad that my first thought after reading this is "messy" and "slobber"? ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the teaser. <3 Thank you for sharing :D Sigh. I love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing a lot about this book lately and then that swoon was amazing! GAHH! Okay I will deff have to check this book out!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great swoon! And the prose is amazing. I hope you read and LOVE this one, Teresa!

      Delete
  8. Love the love/hate chemistry and this one sounds hot! Great swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah and it is so twisted in this book, but in a fabulous way! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's a serious recommendation right there...looks like I'll be adding it to "the list". Here's My Swoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew!!!! I never heard of this book before, but your swoon piqued my interest! I am checking this book out ASAP!!!! Great Swoon pick Alyssa :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL, ALYSSA. I am so flipping excited to get this back from Vi and read it! *dances* That kiss? AMAZING!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love love love it, Jess! READ YOUR BOOK ^_^

      Delete
  12. Gah i'm reading this soon and this swoon definitely got me! I can't wait to read this and get to this part now! Thanks for sharing!

    Here's My Swoon Thursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! That's so great to hear! I hope you love the book, Nikki.

      Delete
  13. THIS IS MY FAVORITE SCENE OF THE WHOLE BOOK CRYING. I need more of this in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Mine too! Although I wasn't crying... but my heart is made of stone, what can I say? I hope we love book two!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!