Sunday, May 5, 2013

Review: One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy

One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1)

One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy
Book One of the Drew + Fable series
Publication Date: January 10, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Bought from Amazon

**Mature situations and sexual content - recommended for ages 17+**

Summary (from Goodreads):

Temporary. That one single word best describes my life these last few years. I’m working at a temporary job until I can finally break free. I’m my little brother’s temporary mother since our mom doesn't give a crap about either of us. And I’m that temporary girl all the guys want to get with because I give it up so easily. According to the rumors, at least.

But now I’m the temporary girlfriend of Drew Callahan, college football legend and all around golden guy. He’s beautiful, sweet—and he’s hiding way more secrets than I am. He’s brought me into this fake life where everyone seems to hate me. And everyone seems to want something from him. The only thing he seems to want though is…

Me.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. All I know is, I think Drew needs me. And I want to be there for him.

Forever.

What I Liked:

First, let me say that this book is considered "New Adult". If you have any doubts or aversions to the "New Adult" age level, or the "New Adult" contemporary romance genre, please wait.I have grown tired of the "New Adult" contemporary romance genre, too! But this is seriously one-of-a-kind.

This book was recommended to me by a blogging friend, who also reads a lot of "New Adult" contemporary romance, and who also has grown slightly weary of the genre. She said that she was impressed by this one, and this that one was very original, compared to some of the other "New Adult" contemporary romance books. 

So I bought a Kindle copy. It was even on sale! And, the second book was due to come out soon after I bought the book. Sounded like a good plan to me!

Guys. This book was SO not what I was expecting. I was warned, but you know the feeling when you discover something you were already told, by yourself. OH MY GOSH. I did not expect to like this book so much, especially with such an ending.

Drew and Fable do not hit it off, or create sparks and flames, or even really like each other at first glance. Or first meeting. I love the progression of their relationship. This book is not very long, and yet, Drew and Fable's relationship seemed very gradual and drawn-out. This is a good thing! The last thing I want to read about in a "New Adult" contemporary romance novel is more insta-love!

Drew is probably my favorite character. He is so kind, and so generous, and he is not the typical alpha male, arrogant "New Adult" male protagonist. He is a "good" guy, meaning that he is a good college student, and a good athlete, and an okay son, but I have a feeling that I will really appeal to readers.

Fable is a very raw character. I do not really understand what makes her so different from the other "New Adult" female protagonists in the contemporary romance genre, but she definitely is a unique heroine. She is rough around the edges, she is not perfect, and she works hard for her brother and mother. I liked that she stuck with Drew, throughout all of his weird family moments and problems, especially with the stepmother.

I love Drew and Fable's relationship. The romance part of this book is so well done, and I was very impressed. There is no love triangle! Made me happy. 

The ending is a good ending, but it is also sad. I know that there is a second book, and that the very end of this book alludes to the second book. So, do not be discouraged! I know I was not. Also, this book lasted the duration of about a week (hence, the title). So, it is meant to be continued to another book, in my opinion!

What I Did Not Like:


I actually did not have any real problems with the book, the plot, the characters, the writing, or anything. A few things bothered me, but they were things that were put in the book to bother readers. 

For example:

Adele, the wicked stepmother from the evilest of places. It is not a negative point toward the book or the writing or the author, but really, just towards this character. UGH, I HATE HER. Read the book. You will see. She is INSANE. But if she was not in the book, well, then the book would not be the same.

Would I Recommend It:

YES! Definitely! "New Adult" contemporary romance will like this book, "New Adult" lovers in general will like this book, adults will like this book... basically, anyone of an appropriate age level (17+, says the author), will like this book. It is very original and unique! Trust me. 

Rating:

4 stars. I think anyone who is hesitant about "New Adult" contemporary romance books, or is tired of them, should read this book. It is a great read! And this is coming from the girl who is sick of "New Adult" contemporary romance books. Go read it!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

6 comments:

  1. I read this one recently and was disappointed in how predictable the twists turned out to be, but I do agree with you that Drew seemed like a really genuinely nice guy, not the typical alpha-male! Such a refreshing change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for original heroes! And I'm sorry that the plot didn't work out for you. I've read so many unoriginal NA novels recently, and this one is definitely different. But, to each their own! :)

      Delete
  2. Its fun when a book lives up to expectation and then some. The title caught my eye, but the premise has my interest too. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I really hope you read it and like it, Sophia! ^_^

      Delete
  3. This book...seriously...I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, just like you. This is an example of NA done right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Me too! I haven't read the other books in the series because from what I've seen, they are more similar to the typical NA contemporary romance tropes (DISAPPOINTMENT), but that's okay. I really enjoyed this one!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!