Friday, May 20, 2016

Life, School, and Updates

Hi friends! Happy Friday! No review today - I'm feeling a little worn out, in terms of reviewing. I'll pick back up with reviews on Sunday.

I meant to do this post earlier in the week, on Monday! It's hard to squeeze in somewhat spontaneous posts with my blog calendar/schedule being as packed as it is. But I wanted to share with you all what is going on in my life, outside of my reading. I don't do this often, so here goes!

As of last week, I've finished my third year of undergraduate studies! I have another year and then I'll graduate. For those of you who don't know, I'm studying environmental engineering at The Johns Hopkins University. I have two majors - environmental engineering and Spanish - and I recently added a minor - Earth & Planetary Science.

This past year as a junior was incredibly difficult. Junior year is typically known as the hardest year, both in high school and in university. For me, it was because I took on a lot more than I had in previous years. In both fall and spring semester, I did 19 credits in each - and keep in mind, most of my classes are engineering classes. I also continued working 13-15 hours per week at my job, and I continued to do research in an engineering microbiology lab in my department, which I had started doing in Summer 2015.

This academic year was also the first academic year without The Gilipollas Boy, whom I don't really mention much anymore. He's kind of a distant part of my past, which I appreciate. Sometimes I remember and dwell on those memories, but it's not as hard to think about him.

With all that I had going on, in academics, work, and beyond the classroom, these past two semesters have been my highest achieving semesters, in terms of grades. It's honestly kind of impressive, even to myself: I survived taking 19 credits of engineering classes, 15 hours/week of work, lab research and analysis, 3-4 reviews on my blog (plus posting every day)... and I've never done so well in terms of grades. 

Of course, I got about an average of 4 hours of sleep every night (sometimes less, but usually not more), so something had to give.

I am so proud of myself for forging ahead and pushing myself. I don't know how I did it, but I did, and I feel like much more of an accomplished person, after this academic year. I've been living in an apartment and paying my rent, utilities, etc., by myself. It's not at all easy! But I am forever grateful for the opportunities I have, and how far I've come, and how much I'm willing to do to achieve my dreams and make progress towards them.

You may have noticed how spotty I've been on social media, this past academic year. Obviously I've been busy (hahaha *cries*), but also, I've been applying to companies and programs for internship positions since November. It's been a rough process; I hate waiting, and I hate that they won't tell you that you didn't get the position. It was a frustrating six months, and discouraging too.

But I'm extremely happy to say that I landed a wonderful internship! I'll be putting my engineering skills to good use, with the state government. I'm not sure I'm able to say more than that, but everyone just "oooo" and "ahhh" with me please! I am thrilled to get an internship within the subject matter of my field (i.e. environmental engineering), and it is close to my apartment in the city (so I can just take a bus a short distance to the building), and it's paid! 

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and that I had such a frustrating application process and depressing waiting period because something better - something pretty perfect - was waiting for me down the road. And I thank God for that, and for keeping me strong.

So that's my junior year in a nutshell! Difficulties, stress, sleeplessness - everything is worth it when you see things work out, whether in the form of good grades or a job. I am blessed with both, at the moment!

Other exciting things in my life:

- My sister graduated yesterday! After four years of undergrad, she has a B.S. in bioengineering. She'll be starting at her fancy engineering job in July.

- One of my closest friends at Hopkins graduated on Wednesday! This is both amazing and heartbreaking. She's a senior, a year older than me, so I knew she would be graduating and leaving to go back home to California. But when reality really hits, and you realize you may never see that person again... I felt a little hopeless. Not goodbye, but see you later?

- I'm about to read my 75th book of 2016! Book #75 will probably by Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine. I'm excited!

- On that note, I'm extremely excited to be in the midst of my July review pile, and reviewing those July books, in May. This is good for me! So that when Senior Fall semester will start and I'll be mercilessly swamped, I can stop and catch my breath a little, in terms of blogging.

And that's pretty much what I have going on right now, and what I had going on this past academic year. I'm not ready to be a senior! But I am ready for new things to come. =)

31 comments:

  1. I'm in awe over all that you were juggling and did well. The internship is awesome news. Congrats!
    Ah, yes, it is hard to say good bye to college friends.

    Have a good summer with your books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll be juggling a little less this coming fall, but somehow, I doubt that. ;)

      Thank you, Sophia! You too!

      Delete
  2. Very impressive. Congrats on the internship and I hope it is all you want it to be.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm oddly very proud that I knew most of what you mentioned in this post! ;)
    Anyways, I'm super proud of all that you've accomplished this school year. I don't know how you do - I'm convinced you're superhuman, but you deserve all the happiness for all the hard work. I can't wait to hear all about the internship! :)
    I hope your summer is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEEDED TO RANT/COMPLAIN/WHINE TO YOU LIKE A MILLION TIMES! Thank you for being there always. <3 I don't mind to sound braggy in the post, but honestly I don't even know how I did half the things I did. o_o Someday I'm going to look back on this post and be like dang, she had it together at that point.

      Thank you so much, Nick! Same to you!

      Delete
  4. I have no idea how you make it dear!! *hugs* With work and the apartment work, I have been able to keep reading but the poor blog keeps getting put back on the backburner because my motivations is pretty low... but you keep going at everything full throttle! GO YOU!!

    And so so happy to hear you landed an AWESOME internship!! WOOOOHOOOO!! CONGRATS GIRL! So very well deserved!! Now, if you can spend the next day off sleeping at least!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your new apartment is looking SO swell! Seriously, you have done an amazing job, and that and work should come first. You'll find your groove again!

      THANK YOU! I feel a lot less helpless than when I was moping to you earlier in the year! Hopefully it is wonderful. =)

      Delete
    2. You know I'm always just a DM away girl! *hugs*

      Delete
  5. I am in awe, Alyssa. You are an amazing and an inspiring woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate that!! Words that keep me humble and keep me going. ^_^

      Delete
  6. Congrats on what sounds like an amazing year so far. You are at such an exciting time in your life so embrace it all so that when you are 40 years down the road you can look back and marvel at what all you've accomplished with no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good for sure! I love this point of my life (which is one of the reasons why I don't want to be a senior! I'm loving it at the university!). No regrets is an important mantra of mine. ^_^

      Delete
  7. Wow, very impressive! You're one busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care of yourself. Rest and be rejuvenate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing just that, hopefully! It's been busybusybusy since I started at Hopkins. No rest for the wicked! ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh my CONGRATS in getting the internship! I didn't know you were still in school, what with you posting everyday and all! That is super awesome! You just put me in blogger shame, actually. LOL

    Planetary science you say?! Now, that is SUPER COOL! Eheeemm maybe I will see you comment in one of my favorite History Channel shows in the future! (This is my secret secret secret desire...to be one for those planet scientists..)

    By the way, do really eat books for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I man 75 BOOKS?!! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more year to go! I'm a junior going on to be a senior. Hehe, I'm just part machine so it seems that way, eh? ;)

      The minor in EPS is new, but my interest in earth sciences isn't! I love the Discovery Channel, yo! That would be a dream come true. ;)

      HA! You've figured out where I get my blog's name from!!! :D :D :D

      Delete
  10. Ooohhh and Aaahhh! You are so awesome Alyssa! You're so smart, intelligent, put together, well balanced and an amazing reader and blogger. I have no idea how you manage to do so much, but I am so happy for you and for your internship. Good luck (you really don't need it!) and tons of love and hugs for you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady, you are AWESOME. Thank you for oohhing and aaahing with me. :D I appreciate the kind words so much! I'll report back in September when I see you... right?? ;)

      Thank you! <3333

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on successfully completing your third year! I have no idea how you managed all that, but you're awesome, and you're almost done!

    I'm so glad your internship worked out! I know what you mean about the waiting and the anxiety...except I heard about the internship quickly...and then found out there was a big problem. Luckily, it's all worked out now, but no knowing is no fun. :(

    While I'm ridiculously impressed with all you accomplished, might I suggest just a tiny more sleep? Wouldn't want you burning out just yet. There's plenty of time for that once you fully enter the workforce. ;) Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost almost! I think, when I graduate, things will slow down on here. Hopefully because of a full-time job. ;) I'm glad your internship issues worked out!

      Thank you, Kel!

      Delete
  12. You have had an amazing year! Triple major makes you a triple threat! I do want to oooohhhh and aaahhh over your internship, hello it is paid! You rock of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great! Stressful, busy, but great. Thank you SO much for the enthusiasm and kind words, Angela! I really appreciate it! <3

      Delete
  13. Felicidades, Alyssa!!! You're truly a badass girl! With all your hard work you still managed 75 books! It makes me wanna cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! I try! I need all the books as therapy for the aforementioned insanity. ;)

      Delete
  14. AHHH :D This is such an awesome post. <3 Thank you for sharing about all that you are doing sweet girl :) You are amazing Alyssa. Gosh, another year of school? I could never, haha. But you will do awesome, I'm sure :D So glad it is going good now. And YAY for getting an internship :D Congrats! SO AWESOME. Gosh. It seems like you are having such a busy life o.O But yay for doing good. <3 And oh gosh, I have no idea how you manage to read and blog too o.O You are awesome :D Anyway. Lovely post sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! One more year! I'm continuing on the traditional four-year path. I'm really excited about the internship! Today was my first day and it went really life.

      Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!