Hello and welcome to the blog tour for A Reaper at the Gates! This is book three of the bestselling Ember Quartet, and it publishes on June 12th. I can't wait!
Today, I'm sharing 100 thoughts I had while (re)reading A Torch Against the Night (book two)!
(Before I begin, you should know that there could be spoilers or implications of spoilers, for A Torch Against the Night.)
1. Okie dokie, I barely remember anything from the ending of An Ember in the Ashes...
2. Elias/Laia, how are y'all not getting chills from this lone child?!
3. Why does she want silver? That's very specific.
4. "Murderer! Killer! Death himself! Reaper walking!" OMGGGGGGGGG!
5. The Commandant is lowkey freaky.
6. Trying to wrap my head around this mother so hellbent on killing her son.
7. Elias can't do it! Ahhh!
8. Oh hello, Helene. I did not miss you.
9. Well I guess I feel sorry for her.
10. She's protecting Elias so I can give her points for that.
11. Hmmm. I don't trust her father.
12. Back to Laia and what is going on with the silver-loving demons?!
13. Yooo. Elias is super injured. Come on, Laia!
14. Yikes. Is now the right time to be asking Laia about if she kissed Keenan? LOL.
15. Ugghhh. I'm so anxious now! Poisoned Elias + useful Laia = bad combination.
16. Elias is hardcore hallucinating. Or something.
17. This Forest is creepy and so is this Soul Catcher.
18. Helene! Girl you a mess! How many broken ribs?!
19. Oooo, I like the name "Aelia". Is it "Ah LEE ah"? Or "AA lee uh"? Or "EE lee uh"? I like the second one.
20. Marcus is a jerk. There, I said it.
21. A smart one though. Sending Helene to capture Elias? That's smart.
22. I forgot Helene had that weird healing power. Everyone has some sort of power in this book. Except Elias. But that's okay. He is a badass warrior. YUM.
23. Everyone is good at eavesdropping, it seems.
24. Chaos in the market!
25. Wait... she disappeared?
26. OMG. Imagine waking up and thinking you were sold out by the person that was helping you? That's unfortunate.
27. Great, so Elias has a solid death sentence.
28. Hello again, Helene. Who is Nightbringer?
29. Yawn. I'm bored. Breezing through this chapter.
30. Laia's armlet! I have one of those.
31. Elias is such a badass. Deflecting arrows with a scimitar is a skill I need in my life.
32. Ugh Keenan. I wish he would never make an appearance again.
33. I really want to shove his face in dirt.
34. Okay now we're back to Helene but two weeks earlier? Do I need a blast from the past right now? Back to Elias, please!
35. OMG. Pull rank on 'er, Helene!
36. OMG OMG OMG. Helene's sister is going to be marrying the Emperor?!
37. Laia is soooo good at playing with everyone's emotions. "Keenan is my friend." "Elias is my friend." GIRL STOP LYING TO YOURSELF.
38. LOL. The sass coming out of Elias. I am a fan!
39. Hmmm. Someone cut that rope.
40. Ugh, Keenan. How can you not find him creep. "I missed you" - what?
43. OMG. Mamie is a badass! It obviously runs in the family! Talk about a powerful woman!
44. Time for a good old-fashioned riot!
45. Oh no. :(
46. Elias needs a hug, fam.
47. I forgot who Tristas was.
48. Elias, the martyr.
49. Back to Helene. I'm not really all that into her narratives.
50. LOL, Helene's mother is such a mom. "Your mother asks that I remind you to eat." Love it!
51. Why do I have a bad feeling about Harper?
52. WOAH. The Soul Catcher is something that exists outside of dreams? Mind blown.
53. Well, this was a weird chapter. Get going, Elias!
54. Back to Helene again. Are we avoiding Laia's POV?
55. Aha! Laia's POV. Oooo, she's reading Elias's note. She's pissed that he left! And apparently, four weeks have passed. Wow!
56. Yikes, that Commandant killing all of the prisoners might light a fire under our heroine's tail.
57. Aaand what's Helene doing in a dress? Ooo, she has pockets for her scimitars.
58. Ahhh, everything always comes down to one holiday night. Rathana is the night to end everything. Elias's expiration date thanks to the poison. Also the Empire's execution date for him (if they catch him). Man, this guy has no chance!
59. Chaos back on Laia's side of things! What is happening? I don't even know!
60. Ohhhh, they've been had. Masks! Masks everywhere! Hide in the hidden compartments, obviously!
61. Laia is doing her disappearing act! What in the world?
62. Aaaand we have Major Death #2. Too bad it wasn't Keenan. (I'm serious.)
63. Dang! Elias has reached Kauf! You go boy!
64. He is such a great actor.
65. Oh! But he's been had. Whomp whomp.
66. Wait I'm confused what is happening with Helene, why is she whining about her family or Elias. Clearly I missed some sort of life-threatening threat.
67. Honestly? This Augur person/thing is weird. Stop speaking in riddles. It does no one any good.
68. Poor Laia. I do feel sorry for her. That was rough. :(
69. Ooo, I love the name "Ayan". So many great "A" names in this book.
70. Ayyy, do the thing, Gibran!
71. LOL Keenan, gtfo. Afya is setting him straight.
72. Ugh, Elias. What have you gotten yourself into.
73. Ahhh, Keenan. Taking advantage of a grieving girl.
74. Ahhh, this poor little boy. Elias, please get him out. You can leave Darin, but get this boy out. :(
75. Laia. The cloaks don't lie.
76. Darin is not dead! I repeat, Darin is not dead! (Not yet, at least.) But we already knew that?
77. Why is Helene's POV even in this book? Nothing is happening.
78. OMG. I TAKE THAT BACK. OMG.
79. Izzi is honestly the best person of this book. This series. She understands Elias's need to make everyone his responsibility.
80. And we meet Darin!
82. I HATED THAT BASTARD.
83. Oh great, Elias has freed Darin and they still get caught. -_-
84. Well, this interrogation is going well. Or not.
85. Ahhh, Keenan. You did good. I recognized that you were slime from the moment you entered the series. But you worked yourself into this story reaaaaaaally well. Slime.
86. I almost feel bad for Laia. Almost.
87. What's the significance of Laia's armlet?
88. Girl, you did that. Don't blame anyone but yourself. *shameless I-told-you-so*
89. Ohhh, I see. The Soul Catcher has all kinds of knowledge.
90. Wow the plot of this series escalated quickly.
91. I guess Tristas was a friend of Elias's? I'm glad he got what he was looking for.
92. I really like Tas.
93. Okay, I really admire Helene, in this chapter. You go girl!
94. Who is this Mask that Laia is speaking with? He seems nice. Is it Avitas?
95. Izzi never trusted Keenan either! Smart girl.
96. OMG ELIAS NOOOOOOOO.
96. OMG ELIAS NOOOOOOOO.
97. Oh my, poor Helene. But dang. The Commandant is savvy.
98. Ooo, Elias, making a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil. The Soul Catcher. The Charon of this cruel world.
99. Oooo, Avitas has a secret!!!
100. Ahhhh, this was actually a good ending? Despite everything. Definitely not the ending of a second-to-last book. From this ending, we already knew this series would be at least four books long. Because the ending of the next book is going to have the cliffhanger!
And those are 100 thoughts I had while rereading book tour! I'm all caught up and ready for Reaper. And honestly? I enjoyed Torch more, the second time around. I had mixed feelings about it, and I wasn't sure how I felt when it was all said and done. But now that I've reread it, I actually quite liked the book. Bring on Reaper! (And book four as well, perhaps?)
About A Reaper at the Gates:
A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir
Book Three of the Ember Quartet
Publication Date: June 12, 2018
Summary (from Goodreads):
Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.
The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.
Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.
And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion–even at the cost of his humanity.
Check out the rest of the series:
(Click on the covers for more information!)
About the Author:
Sabaa Tahir grew up in California’s Mojave Desert at her family’s 18-room motel. There, she spent her time devouring fantasy novels, raiding her brother’s comic book stash and playing guitar badly. She began writing An Ember in the Ashes while working nights as a newspaper editor. She likes thunderous indie rock, garish socks and all things nerd. Sabaa currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her family.
Sabaa might be coming to a city near you!
(Click the image above to see the tour dates!)