The 8th Annual End of Year Survey is hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner! This is my first year participating and I'm excited to do so. I'm a little early so some of my responses will be projected ones. I'll have my own yearly wrap-up posted on December 31st. Thanks for checking out my post!
2017 Reading Stats:
Number Of Books You Read: 145 (projected to be 151)
Number of Re-Reads: I don't track these! There would be A LOT though.
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
Best in Books:
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2017 release vs. backlist)
YA Fantasy: Avenged by Amy Tintera + The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
YA Contemporary: Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer
Adult Contemporary Romance: Beautiful Lawman by Sophie Jordan
Adult Historical Romance: Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock - it had so much potential!
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson - I really was not exciting to love this book, but I did!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
A Gentleman Never Surrenders by Lauren Smith
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Series started -- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
Sequel -- Avenged by Amy Tintera
Series ender -- The Fallen Kingdom by Elizabeth May
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Katana Collins (Ex-Con, Outlaw, Enforcer)
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer; I'm not a YA contemporary fan, and definitely not a tough-issue contemporary fan. But this book was AMAZING!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Adult -- Beautiful Lawman by Sophie Jordan
YA -- Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Raphael from Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt. I adore him!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh. The woman is an amazing storyteller!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
This is a tough one for me because "life-changing" doesn't pop up often... but probably Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
"Takuminarsivalliajuq, she thought. An Inuit word to describe a person whom becomes more beautiful over time."
- The Savage Dawn by Melissa Grey
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest: Goodreads isn't telling me the shortest? But it's probably an adult romance novella.
Longest: Freedom's Slave by Heather Demetrios (608 pages)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
The Empress by S.J. Kincaid. The ending had me reeling!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Amani and Jin from Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Ranmaru and Okami from Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh. What an adorable bromance!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Crowe from Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The world of Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Wesley James Ruined My Life by Jennifer Honeybourn
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Wesley James Ruined My Life by Jennifer Honeybourn
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton. The ending!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. I didn't love the book, but it is one-of-a-kind.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Just Friends by Tiffany Pitcock. I'm mad that the book wasn't great and I'm mad that I didn't like it!
Your Blogging/Bookish Life:
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
There were quite a few! Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf makes the cut.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
My reading level significantly dropped since graduating from college in May. I've been busy with working full-time and it's honestly more draining and time-consuming than I thought it would be. I have a window of about four hours when I come home from work, in which I can do stuff... mostly I just want to sleep.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By pageviews -- my January giveaway!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any of my Science in Fiction posts.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I went to the The Ivy Bookshop for the first time this year! It's a little out of my way but I've been back several times since then. =)
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I only had one official goal which was 150 books, and I will be meeting that goal!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore. Whoops!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I honestly am not looking forward to many debuts in 2018! Likely because I don't know of many. But I'm extremely excited about Beyond a Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake, which I have from Harper/Edelweiss!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton (which I have!). Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh (which I do not have).
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Be more active on Instagram! I created on in July and it started off well and now I'm just lazy.
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Meet Cute anthology! I also read Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston and while I didn't love it, I have a feeling many will.