Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Avalon by Mindee Arnett


Avalon by Mindee Arnett
Book One of the Avalon series
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: January 21, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern the Confederation are as corrupt as the crime bosses who patrol it, and power is held by anyone with enough greed and ruthlessness to claim it. That power is derived from one thing: metatech, the devices that allow people to travel great distances faster than the speed of light.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew of teenage mercenaries have survived in this world by stealing unsecured metatech, and they're damn good at it. Jeth doesn't care about the politics or the law; all he cares about is earning enough money to buy back his parents' ship, Avalon, from his crime-boss employer and getting himself and his sister, Lizzie, the heck out of Dodge. But when Jeth finds himself in possession of information that both the crime bosses and the government are willing to kill for, he is going to have to ask himself how far he'll go to get the freedom he's wanted for so long.

Avalon is the perfect fit for teens new to sci-fi as well as seasoned sci-fi readers looking for more books in the YA space-and a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly.

What I Liked:

First things first: I have never watched the show Firefly. I don't even know what it is about. So, don't expect me to compare this book to Firefly, or point out potential references or similarities, or whatever. Just saying.

Anyway, I really liked this book! I was terrified that I would seriously dislike this book, because it seems that books that I wait FOREVER to read are the ones that end up disappointing me. In general - not always. But I put off reading this one for quite some time, because I didn't want to be disappointed. And honestly, not too far into this book, I thought I was going to be disappointed. 

But I wasn't! I kept reading. If you're having trouble finishing or reading this book, trust me, it gets better. I like to see this book in terms of quarters (the fractions, not the coins or the time in football). The first quarter was fantastic - definitely a great hook into the novel. The second quarter was kind of brutal. But the last two quarters (second half, whatever) required a little bit of powering through, but got interesting as they went along.

 So. Jeth and his crew have a new job from his boss, Hammer: take Avalon (the ship that rightfully should be Jeth's, but was gambled away by his uncle), and go to the Belgrave (think: Bermuda Triangle) to find a ship lost for two months. Bring it back, don't board it, and there is a huge payout. Sounds like a plan? Except everything goes wrong. Starting with the fact that there were living beings on the ship, and Jeth decides to board the ship.

The plot was very engaging, once the twists and turns began. Those twists and turns didn't really began until Jeth, the crew, and the three human beings left on the lost ship are close to leaving the Belgrave. Then, something happens, and THAT'S when this book really had my attention. 

You see, the beginning was great. I was hooked. Arnett did a really good job of setting up the background, the world, the characters, and fear of Hammer, the fear of the ITA, and so on. The opening scene is pretty epic. But then the second quarter of the book is kind of boring. I didn't want to keep reading, I was so bored. But then that thing I mentioned happened, and I was like, I'm checked back in!

The second half of the book is just twist after twist, and I loved this. Arnett doesn't really give you a chance to figure out EVERYTHING, which was nice. I liked this change of pace. The first quarter of the book was great, but you could predict what could happen next. The second quarter was suspicious, but boring. The last two quarters were perplexing and filled with nonstop action and guessing. 

I really, really like Jeth. This book is written in third-person limited - the "limited" being restricted only to Jeth. So, it's kind of like this book is written in Jeth's point-of-view, but in third person. I love this type of perspective. And I love the character of Jeth. His character development is subtle but remarkable. The amount of obstacles that Arnett puts him through... wow. He's definitely someone that I would respect and most likely be friends with, if he were a really person. We'd get along swimmingly! 

There is romance in this book, but I liked that Arnett kind of keeps it to a minimum. She doesn't overdo the romance, making it this giant THING in the book, making its plot overtake the actual plot that deals with the ships and Hammer and Renford. I like this type of romance - the type that grows as the book goes on, but doesn't make or break the book. Too many YA series these days are solely based on a romance, with half of the readers going with Team Dude A, and the other half going with Team Dude B. That's silly.

And no love triangle, YAY! That made me happy.

Overall, this book is definitely worth picking up, borrowing, buying, asking for Christmas, for a birthday, you get the idea. I wouldn't miss it, especially if you're a science fiction fan, like me. This book is heavy on the science fiction - appealing to my engineering nerdy side!

What I Did Not Like:

Like I mentioned many times before, the second quarter of this book was a tad bit brutal. First quarter? Great. Third quarter? Intriguing. Fourth quarter/climax/ending? Heart-pounding and heartbreaking. But the second quarter? Snooze.

So. If you've reached the part after Jeth gets his new assignment, to about the part where Jeth, the crew, and the three new people are about to leave Belgrave, and you can't seem to find anything interesting, POWER THROUGH IT. Because that's the worst of it - "worst" meaning boring. 

Would I Recommend It:

I would! This science fiction novel has a little bit of everything for everyone! Except a love triangle. Thank goodness there is no love triangle in this one. But seriously, I'm a science fiction fan, and I really like this book. I'm not sure how different types of readers will react to this one, but hopefully, this novel won't just be for fans of science fiction!

Rating:

4 stars. This one definitely lived up to my expectations! I'm so glad that I ended up enjoying this one, overall. Bring on book two!


Was this review helpful? Please let me know in the comments section!

20 comments:

  1. This is going to be my next read! I'm a huge sci-fi fan so I really hope I'll love this. The plot sounds awesome and it's good to know the romance doesn't take over like it does most YA novels.
    Great review, Alyssa :)

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad to hear that! It sounds like this one will work for you - I certainly hope that is the case!

      Thank you, Richa!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review Alyssa :D I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this book :) I had some issues with Avalon, but I did think it was an interesting book. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! And I'm glad that YOU thought it was interesting. You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. I'm a HUGE Firefly fan, so I'm really curious to see what the similarities are. It's funny, I just read another blogger's review that said the romance ruined the book for him! I guess it's all in the way you look at things:) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL! Perhaps you can break them down for me, when you read this book - I'm sincerely curious! And I know who you're talking about - I also read his review. We're very different reviewers though! Hopefully, you like the romance (and the book overall).

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. YAY! So happy to hear that you loved it, even if there were some boring bits there! I am a huge lover of Firefly, so I might have some references to keep me entertained in the boring bits. Also very happy to hear that romance was kept to a minimum!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot woot! So glad you enjoyed my review. I hope you love this one, Pili! Perhaps you'll be able to explain the Firefly comparison to me :D

      Delete
  5. Not sure what Firefly is exactly. Its a show? Yes? I'm currently reading this one! I can totally agree with what you said about that 2nd Quarter (also, you said 3rd as a typo instead of 2nd in your post). I'm glad I read your review because I was contemplating on DNFing and now I'm in loveish.

    Lovely Review, Alyssa!

    - Nova

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is! And thank you for pointing that out. Glad I could help, Nova!

      Delete
  6. Wow you get put through a bit of a ringer and then major snooze time!? Hmm I'm still super excited to read it - I'm LOVING ya sci fi right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's a teensy bit disappointing, when I hit the rough patch, but then it picks up. I really hope you love this one!

      Delete
  7. Great review!!!!!! I think you explained a lot of the book to me and gave me more inside the book without soiling anything.. I havent read too many sci-fi books (i think) so im a little iffy on this book..I havent seen Firefly either..But it does sound interesting with those things on the ship..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad I could help, with ruining anything. I hope you read this book! Don't worry about not knowing too much - you'll enjoy the story with fresh eyes!

      Delete
  8. I am a huge Firefly fan so this book definitely interests me. I'm glad to hear that the romance isn't a main theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Perhaps you can explain the parallels to me :D And definitely not the case! I'm glad as well.

      Delete
  9. I'm really glad that you enjoyed this book. Jeth seems like such a charismatic, fun protagonist, based on the many interviews and promo posts that the author has released.

    It's great that there are so many twists, making it hard to predict the ending. These sort of books are always the most exciting and fun to read. There is nothing like reading a book the first time and experiencing all of the anguish and heart pounding adventure.

    Thanks for this awesome review! Look forward to reading this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! He is pretty great! I'm glad you've been following all the extra content, Angie :D

      This book definitely was not your typical YA novel! I really enjoyed the adventure.

      You're very welcome! Hope you read and love it, Angie :)

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. Even a title might tide me over and make the wait bearable, but alas, I have to hear about it with everyone else. I can't wait to see what they'll do for the next cover too.

    Marlene
    Visit my site for Movers in San Antonio

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!