Sunday, October 16, 2016

Science in Fiction (#21): The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid


Welcome to this month's Science in Fiction feature! Science in Fiction is a meme I created to showcase the wonderful aspects of science in Young Adult fiction novels. For more information and previous feature, check out the "Science in Fiction" tag!

This month, I'm featuring The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid!




The Diabolic is the story of Nemesis, a Diabolic whose sole life purpose is to protect the human to which she is linked. Diabolics are basically super advanced forms of humans, but everyone seems them as dangerous creatures, with superhuman strength and intelligence, almost robot-like and animalistic. They are raised in cages and are avoid of most human emotions. But as Nemesis enters a new world of scheming and politics, she finds that she isn't quite so different from humans as she has always been led to believe. This novel is a space opera, set among different planetary colonies in a galaxy.

Non-human beings and various planets are no strangers to my Science in Fiction posts. I've talked about both topics extensively. The very last Science in Fiction post that I did was all about human-esque alien species. They don't exist (they we know), but it's an interesting thought. We also haven't really perfected traveling from planet to planet. 

So today, I'm going to share some current events in space-related missions and exploration! There have been quite a few developments since I last did a current events post.

- A new Antares rocket is going to be launched, either today or tomorrow! This Orbital ATK Antares rocket is part of the Cygnus to take supplies to the International Space Station. Hopefully all will go well (unlike two years ago). 

See pictures of this massive rocket HERE.

- Scientists are planning to launch a new nation state - in space. This is supposedly going to be a pacifist nation, like no-man's land... let's see how long that lasts (if this even happens). Human beings are too stupid (or smart?) to leave something along without claiming it or fighting over it. This new nation is going to be called Asgardia, and apparently thousands of people have signed up to be screened, to live there. o_o The first satellite for this new nation will launch next year.

- A quantum internet could be in our future - and could revolutionize communication deep space. The engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab have been busy! They've discovered and are developing quantum teleportation. I don't really know much about this field, but hey, that's cool. The plan is to use the detectors for communication on the International Space Station and in deep space - which is great! 

- China's space station is going to fall to Earth in 2017. Allegedly, their scientists have lost control of the space station, but they say that most of the space station will burn up before it hits Earth. There is no way to know where the debris will land.

- NASA postulates that water vapor plumes are shooting from the surface of Europa (one of Jupiter's moons). That's kind of awesome! That could means something in terms of microbial life on Europa. Europa's top layer is completely ice, but scientists have long speculated that underneath the ice is an ocean, and now, perhaps a habitable ocean.


- In not-so-cool news, it's possible that astronauts exploring Mars could be putting themselves at risk for dementia. The exposure to space, the energy of space, and so on... it makes sense. But this is also sad because this is yet another obstacle that would make traveling in space very difficult for humans.


Questions for readers - Does anything here surprise you? Would you live on Asgardia, or other planetary colonies, states, or even moons?

16 comments:

  1. This really does prove that life is stranger than fiction sometimes, the world and science is so much more crazy than anything we can dream up! The last fact about Mars explorer potentially getting dementia is the saddest fact of them all, though :C

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree! Science is bizarre and intriguing.

      The side effects of traveling in space are not super public - so when I saw that article about Mars, my heart broke. :/ They are heroes!

      Delete
  2. Not especially surprised, but that's probably because of my vast exposure to space/moon/planetary colonies in books, TV, movies and several Mobile Suit Gundam series. ;)

    As for living on any of the above...probably not. Maybe if/when it's commonplace, well tested and ridiculously safe. Until then, there are enough dangers in everyday travel without adding in the whole "zero oxygen" problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I understand you! Nothing wrong with some fictional science! :D

      And your last comment... I totally agree. The Earth is already a scary enough place!

      Delete
  3. I am quite happy here on earth. There were a few surprises mentioned like the fact that a space station will probably fall to earth next year...that's scary stuff! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean. Is it weird that I'm excited for that to happen? Assuming no one will get hurt (like they predict). :o

      Delete
  4. This is a very interesting post. Space is always an interesting topic to me and space travel as well. Great articles to point out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found it interesting!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I want to read this book. :)

    I think I'll stay here on Earth though. Some of this is so scary, like the astronauts possibly putting themselves at risk for dementia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read it, Erin!

      And same here! Earth is pretty scary, as it is. D:

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of this book - although I'm not usually in for space sci-fi sort of books. I think that the premise is great.

    Those space facts are all pretty cool to know. I'm definitely not well versed in anything with regards to that so it is interesting to find out some news put together in a neat list. And no, I wouldn't like to live in Asgardia, no matter how cool the name ;)

    Di @ Book Reviews by Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science fiction isn't for everyone! I like it so I post about it, and I'm always happy when someone not as science-y finds the posts interesting. :D

      Isn't the name cool? I think of Narnia every time. ;)

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't live on another planet if life support was necessary. I'd be too afraid something could go wrong. Thanks for all the scientific updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many risks, in space! I doubt anyone would be living there in our lifetime.

      No problem, Rachel! ;)

      Delete
  8. Ohh, awesome post sweetie :D Thank you for sharing about this awesome. <3 I love space things. Sigh. Though most I know about is just fiction; books and movies, haha. I must get more into the real stuff too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Books and movies are great vectors of science fiction - though obviously a lot is made up. But they prompt curiosity and questions, which is neat!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always try and reply to your comments, as well as leave some comment love on your blog! :)

Also, this an award and tag free blog. While I am flattered that you would think of me, I really do not have the time to follow up. Thank you!